How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > General > 08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion
How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up >

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 PM
  #226  
Senior Member
 
Shanedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-09
Location: Collingwood, Ont
Posts: 1,664
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully ! These turbo's should last forever.
Shanedude is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 PM
  #227  
New Member
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 85
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
makes me curious as to what the previous owner was doing to go through them...
AZCobaltss is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 AM
  #228  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-11-17
Location: DE
Posts: 104
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm gonna bump this, maybe for my own log. I bought mine with 156k, and just started a 100mi/day commute this week. Miles are going to rack up quickly, so we'll see how this thing will last.
MINIz guy is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:01 AM
  #229  
Moderator
Platinum Member
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-18-14
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 14,731
Thanked 431 Times in 405 Posts
My sedan sits at 99k closer to 100k shes been in the garage for about a month now
Snail_SS is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:18 AM
  #230  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,266
Thanked 372 Times in 329 Posts
Well I bought the OP's car at ~33k and now have 113k on it. It's still kicking just fine. I would plan on major repairs around 200k-225k (clutch, engine, wheel bearings, etc). The turbo if it hasn't been replaced may need replacing before, not sure how long most peoples KO4 have been lasting.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 AM
  #231  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-11-17
Location: DE
Posts: 104
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
Well I bought the OP's car at ~33k and now have 113k on it. It's still kicking just fine. I would plan on major repairs around 200k-225k (clutch, engine, wheel bearings, etc). The turbo if it hasn't been replaced may need replacing before, not sure how long most peoples KO4 have been lasting.
I hope you don't mean the entire engine is going to be replaced at 200k!

Clutch and turbo was done at 100k according to the previous owner (single family car). I just did one bad wheel bearing, and will be doing spark plugs and sway bar bushings this weekend. I'm gonna keep this stock to make it reliable, but part of me wants to get a set of tires for it for track days/autocross.
MINIz guy is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
  #232  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-12-09
Location: NJ
Posts: 675
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 110k on mine now. Last fall I replaced the timing chains. Just after that I lost 5th gear on the trans, so I swapped in a used 5 speed and did the clutch while I was in there. I've owned my car since new, been tuned since 40k miles and the car has seen a fair amount of track usage (road courses and drag) and the clutch looked worn but I would have guessed another 40-50k left in it. Also around that time I walnut blasted my intake ports to clean them up. Shortly after that I replaced the rear shocks and front struts (completely shot) and new LCAs and tie rod ends. My fuel and evap purge lines resembled the barrel of an old cannon and ended up bursting, so I had to replace those as well. There was also the upper and lower O2 sensors and my turn signal stalk died. That's about everything on the car that needed replacing. Most of those are just wear items from a rough life. The transmission is my fault. I have a bad habit of not downshifting on the highway and just pushing boost in 5th.
NickD is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:53 AM
  #233  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,266
Thanked 372 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
I hope you don't mean the entire engine is going to be replaced at 200k!

Clutch and turbo was done at 100k according to the previous owner (single family car). I just did one bad wheel bearing, and will be doing spark plugs and sway bar bushings this weekend. I'm gonna keep this stock to make it reliable, but part of me wants to get a set of tires for it for track days/autocross.
I said plan on, not need to. A few people have managed to get north of 250k, but it's always better to plan for it (zzp sells long blocks for $2,000 so not a huge expense).
ECaulk is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:21 PM
  #234  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,871
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
250,XXX Kilometers on my 2010

So far in total aside from oil, brake fluid..pads regular ****

Replaced front Calipers when I bought it (they were toast)

Replaced timing and balance chain

Replaced rear caliper

MAF two MAF sensors and a MAF connector (BTW 2.2 MAF sensors work in these cars ) replaced from junk yard cars

Exhaust side VVT solenoid, used a 2.4 VVT solenoid from junk yard, seems to work

Anywhoo knock on wood cars been good, but at this point if something else major goes on it I'll probably sell it, the drivers side door has wicked cancer and theirs rust starting to form in the engine bay...I do love the car I'm sort of looking around for something a little more "grown up", looking at c5's, CTS-V's E90 M3's that sort of thing
StevoElSupremo is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM
  #235  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,119
Thanked 262 Times in 247 Posts
Even if I started driving mine daily it still wouldn't rack up the miles to get it to 100,000 for about another 6 yrs.
63 Nova SS is online now  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM
  #236  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,871
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Even if I started driving mine daily it still wouldn't rack up the miles to get it to 100,000 for about another 6 yrs.
Nice, luckily I barely have to drive my car now
StevoElSupremo is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:40 PM
  #237  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-11-17
Location: DE
Posts: 104
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo View Post
Nice, luckily I barely have to drive my car now
I was seriously looking at C63's and E90 M3's to replace the Cobalt before I started my 100mi/day commute. Now doing that mileage, I'm happy with the Cobalt. I'd love to be in the financial position to have one of those gas guzzlers, but I'd want another vehicle (2019 Ranger or diesel Colorado) in case one of the German cars break.
MINIz guy is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
  #238  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,119
Thanked 262 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
Nice, luckily I barely have to drive my car now
I thought you had a long commute each day. Did you change jobs or move?
63 Nova SS is online now  
Old 08-12-2018, 05:04 AM
  #239  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
125k, owned since 96k, stock then GMS1 for about 12k miles now. timing chain tensioner because i heard rattles. I think the balance chain tensioner is going cause I get rattle in lower rpms when cold, and the turbo has 0 shaft play.
AFAIK turbo is OEM 125k mile unit. I did clutch around 113k, new oem axles and timken hubs at that time too. glad I did because axles are nationally backordered. New TPMS when I did tires because 1 was going bad. I haven't even done a front brake job yet, pads and rotors were replaced at 82k dealership. I have the stuff but lazy & miata taking funds so cobalt waits till it hits squealers I guess. I have stainless lines too.
Oh it's a daily driver. 0 degrees 100 degrees foot of snow or torrential downpours, I drive this car. Nothing major to report from me. Getting my hands on HPT for a better 20psi tune (23psi is accelerated death level so I'm staying conservative). Pic of my head for whatever it's worth. A very reputable man said it was in very good condition, best he's ever seen for mileage, so I think it may have been replaced but who knows. Mobil 1 5W-30 every 3ish thousand miles 5 quarts in 5 quarts out. it's 2 pictures just so we're clear. my dumb self didn't take a full picture of the top end so i grabbed some pictures from a video which were pretty clear.
ThePanduuh is offline  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 AM
  #240  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,871
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
I thought you had a long commute each day. Did you change jobs or move?
Both! before it was like 160km per day now it's like.... 10...when I do drive
StevoElSupremo is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 11:21 AM
  #241  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-11-17
Location: DE
Posts: 104
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just passed 160k yesterday. TPMS sensor on the RF is going in and out. Otherwise, no other problems have sprung up.
MINIz guy is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 PM
  #242  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-11-17
Location: DE
Posts: 104
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1.5 weeks later, I've passed 161k. Looks like I do closer to 3k/mi a month and that's kinda scary.
MINIz guy is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 PM
  #243  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks to the guy above for sending me a notification reminding me of this thread.

I just did my front brakes the other day, well, I tried to do them.

Brembo pistons are coated with something (like a metallic coating). All of the pistons were flaking off around the outside of the boot, expected, but one piston got moisture in and got messed up internally (inside the bore). So the piston is toast. I bought new pistons, seals, and boots and I'm rebuilding them ASAP. Also doing stainless lines since I have to pull the brake lines off to rebuild them. The fronts had over 40k miles on them. The one that got stuck wore the pad down to the chirper and then was squealing bad. No fluid leaked out of them though.

I've been told rebuilding is cake. And they'll be good for a while (doing all new brake fluid). Necessary evil of age I guess. To my surprise, the brake fluid was still clear/greenish. Not black/brown.
ThePanduuh is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 11:19 AM
  #244  
Senior Member
iTrader: (29)
 
royce777's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-08
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,312
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
^ rebuilding these brembos is super easy. I would recommend painting and cleaning them up really well when they are off. When I did them on my sedan all the pistons had the coating peeling off.
royce777 is online now  
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM
  #245  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by royce777 View Post
^ rebuilding these brembos is super easy. I would recommend painting and cleaning them up really well when they are off. When I did them on my sedan all the pistons had the coating peeling off.
G2 caliper paint? I thought about it.
ThePanduuh is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 PM
  #246  
Senior Member
iTrader: (29)
 
royce777's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-08
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,312
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh View Post
G2 caliper paint? I thought about it.
I used that on my old G5 but for my sedan I used aerosol caliper paint. I think you car would look great with silver brembos with black brembo stick.

I also would clear them it helps them clean up easier and last longer.
royce777 is online now  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 PM
  #247  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-06-09
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a hhr ss with 173k still running good.
ecotecturbo is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 PM
  #248  
Senior Member
iTrader: (29)
 
royce777's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-08
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,312
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh View Post
125k, owned since 96k, stock then GMS1 for about 12k miles now. timing chain tensioner because i heard rattles. I think the balance chain tensioner is going cause I get rattle in lower rpms when cold, and the turbo has 0 shaft play.
AFAIK turbo is OEM 125k mile unit. I did clutch around 113k, new oem axles and timken hubs at that time too. glad I did because axles are nationally backordered. New TPMS when I did tires because 1 was going bad. I haven't even done a front brake job yet, pads and rotors were replaced at 82k dealership. I have the stuff but lazy & miata taking funds so cobalt waits till it hits squealers I guess. I have stainless lines too.
Oh it's a daily driver. 0 degrees 100 degrees foot of snow or torrential downpours, I drive this car. Nothing major to report from me. Getting my hands on HPT for a better 20psi tune (23psi is accelerated death level so I'm staying conservative). Pic of my head for whatever it's worth. A very reputable man said it was in very good condition, best he's ever seen for mileage, so I think it may have been replaced but who knows. Mobil 1 5W-30 every 3ish thousand miles 5 quarts in 5 quarts out. it's 2 pictures just so we're clear. my dumb self didn't take a full picture of the top end so i grabbed some pictures from a video which were pretty clear.
and now it went BOOM
royce777 is online now  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:13 PM
  #249  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,266
Thanked 372 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by royce777 View Post
and now it went BOOM
What went boom in it?
ECaulk is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM
  #250  
Senior Member
iTrader: (29)
 
royce777's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-08
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,312
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
!

Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
What went boom in it?
He hasn't tore into it yet. But he NLS and then it started pouring smoke. He thinks a injector got stuck open and kept dumping fuel. He borescope and saw fuel in the cylinder. Compression is still good. LDK time for another sedan!!
royce777 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.