08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all you slow window guys........slicone grease works wonders and it's not even 10 bucks for a can. I spray it on the rubbers on all my cars windows after every wax.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM

127k replaced main bearings rod bearings and rod bolts 30 miles on em without a problem after rod bearing gave up after oil change
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i've got 24k on mine... so far... clock spring, tire pressure sensor, rear pads and rotors, motor, and small paint rubs from doors hitting roofline.... all under warranty... we'll see if things get worse... still love the car though.
I made the dealer rehang the door (took them 4 tries but the touchup to the paint and thier patience are commendable)

Pretty trouble free after the revised GM shift linkage and a seafoaming at 60k miles or so. 70k atm. I NLS 2-3 and hold WOT until 85 every day, twice a day merging on the highway going to and coming back from work. 110 miles round trip

Last edited by rchiwawa; 09-02-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: NLS
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM

What is the revised gm shift linkage? My 08 ss is at 56k and the only problems I've had are rear brakes were replaced around 20k and power steering recall were done by the previous owner. I have since had to replace all 4 rotors and pads at 55k and I had the " Variable valve timing actuator on the exhaust cam shaft" replaced under powertrain warranty, Car would literally shake at idle but it would drive fine. I also get some rattling from my sunroof but only when it is just cracked open not when its slid back. I also NLS from 2-3 when getting on the highway for my work commute. The last 2 times I did it though I got a screeching or squeeling sound basically as I was finnishing the shift. I haven't done it since but the sound was only when I did a 2-3 not 3-4th. Any ideas? Dealership gonna have a problem with me saying im NLSing my car?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 PM

60k on my 08 only problems I've had was a Evap purg sol. at 20k and blown coil pack at 45k, oh and I tore a CV boot and rode it out from 40k to 50k

-Alex
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by silverSS08
What is the revised gm shift linkage? My 08 ss is at 56k and the only problems I've had are rear brakes were replaced around 20k and power steering recall were done by the previous owner. I have since had to replace all 4 rotors and pads at 55k and I had the " Variable valve timing actuator on the exhaust cam shaft" replaced under powertrain warranty, Car would literally shake at idle but it would drive fine. I also get some rattling from my sunroof but only when it is just cracked open not when its slid back. I also NLS from 2-3 when getting on the highway for my work commute. The last 2 times I did it though I got a screeching or squeeling sound basically as I was finnishing the shift. I haven't done it since but the sound was only when I did a 2-3 not 3-4th. Any ideas? Dealership gonna have a problem with me saying im NLSing my car?
My dealer said if the feature is included, use it at will as far as NLS which is why I do it twice daily. I wouldn't go out of my way to let them know if they seem tight. Might change that habit after I get out of warranty. As far as the shift linkage, all I know is that when I broke mine from NLSing from 1-2 (useless so I stopped a while after the new shift linkage was installed... just wanted to make sure it'd survive as NLS 1-2 on my car always seemed to require up to a half second to sync up) the dealer told me that there was a revised part number for my linkage and they changed it out after they received the new part. My car has always made that scree when NLSing and I am inclined to believe its normal operation. Confident enough to not even bother mentioning it to the dealer and I have never read anything here or otherwise that makes me think otherwise.

I am going to guess that the cam phaser problem you had was from (original owner) running cheap oil. My dealer gives free Mobil 1 synthetic changes every 3000 miles or when you pull in. All other oils are questionable in my eyes.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by rchiwawa
My dealer said if the feature is included, use it at will as far as NLS which is why I do it twice daily. I wouldn't go out of my way to let them know if they seem tight. Might change that habit after I get out of warranty. As far as the shift linkage, all I know is that when I broke mine from NLSing from 1-2 (useless so I stopped a while after the new shift linkage was installed... just wanted to make sure it'd survive as NLS 1-2 on my car always seemed to require up to a half second to sync up) the dealer told me that there was a revised part number for my linkage and they changed it out after they received the new part. My car has always made that scree when NLSing and I am inclined to believe its normal operation. Confident enough to not even bother mentioning it to the dealer and I have never read anything here or otherwise that makes me think otherwise.

I am going to guess that the cam phaser problem you had was from (original owner) running cheap oil. My dealer gives free Mobil 1 synthetic changes every 3000 miles or when you pull in. All other oils are questionable in my eyes.
Ok thnaks. That would've been my argument "its a feature on the car" I'm not so sure its supposed to make that noise because as I said I've never heard itbefore and its only during 2-3rd nls that it happens. Would be cool if other people chimed in. If I was to bring it in I would obviously have to. Say I here it when I nls from 2-3rd because that's the only time it happens.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by silverSS08
... If I was to bring it in I would obviously have to....
I realized that when I read that post again. it was well past my normal bed time
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM

I had the shift linkage fixed and replaced rear pads and rotors (under warranty) a couple of months after I got it with ~ 25k miles. I put 15k on it and a few track days but no issues at all until I sold it with ~ 40k. I had it at the dealer for the rough start issue a couple of times but couldn't be replicated so that wasn't fixed but no running issues.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM

LOL, my passenger window switch/lever got stuck in the up (roll up window) position on the driver side door. I don't know what happened, but I forced it back to place and all is good.

Also I forgot to add, my valve gasket leaked at 10,000 miles. Had the dealership put a new gasket and retorque it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
I made it to 26000 miles in my 2009 SS/TC and my problems are, bluetooth buzzing; passenger window goes up super slow, Rear brakes are dragging, there's nothing I can do about that apparently according to dealership. I think cam phasers might be going out, it does that flutter/paddling noise at start up here and there, especially after rain.

That's it so far.

Originally Posted by kzak104
my passenger window goes up slower then my driver, i just assume its because it sat on the lot for so long, my drivers side window used to be slow to but as i use it it gets better. and my car makes that werid startup sound aswell

Cobalt ss metallic rattle on cold starts - YouTube
Mine has made that weird start-up noise too. Just started to happen on occasion during the last year or so. I was a little concerned, but it seems it's fairly common.

As for the dragging brakes. Did you ever get the slide pins lubed? I know when I first got TC they would definitely drag. After I replaced the pads and they lubed the slide pins, it more or less stopped doing it. There is no more uneven pad wear either.

My sunroof rattles when going over bumpy roads on occasion. More of a squeaking than rattling tho. I kept taking it to the dealer and I don't think they "tightened" they said they just did something with the weather stripping. They ended up selling me this 'Silicon Emulsion' stuff that I was just supposed to apply when it started to squeak again. Turns out I had to do it every few weeks... Never getting a sunroof on a car ever again! USELESS!

Also. Any word on that ebrake recall that was mentioned earlier back?? Or was that even a thing?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM

PyroSiege,

I see you're from Canada and had just wanted to mention that GM of Canada (customer assistance for our Canadian drivers) can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Almost 130k just rebuilt bottom end in the car and getting ready to rebuild the turbo !!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM

mine's at 42,500 miles. it's an 09 and has been somewhat problematic but luckilly it is under warranty. i had to replace 2-3 sensors all on separate occasions. plus one of the inlet tubes for the turbo had a leak so it wouldn't hold boost pressure. Other than that just a wheel alignment for major maintenance. Current problems are a really slow passenger window motor and a small exhaust leak (that i caused with aftermarket exhaust work). Hopefully she holds together until at least 100K.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PyroSiege

My sunroof rattles when going over bumpy roads on occasion. More of a squeaking than rattling tho. I kept taking it to the dealer and I don't think they "tightened" they said they just did something with the weather stripping. They ended up selling me this 'Silicon Emulsion' stuff that I was just supposed to apply when it started to squeak again. Turns out I had to do it every few weeks... Never getting a sunroof on a car ever again! USELESS!

I learned about sunroofs the hard way lol..... it was kinda difficult finding one without a roof , but im glad i held out .
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM

just turned 80k and the check ga gap light came on. hasnt come back. also had the head gasket replaced about 75k for an oil leak
Old 09-15-2012, 07:06 AM

75k miles on mine.
Charge pipe bracket broke less than 10k miles (common problem)
Rear rotors were shot at around 15k miles (another common problem)
MAF sensor went out. IAT sensor shorted out.
Turbo blew and replaced under warranty at around 26k ish miles
Main rod bearings replaced under warranty at 45k
2 Coil packs went bad
New shift linkage installed because of it popping out of 5th gear all the time.
Bought and replaced faulty EVAP purge solenoid on manifold (Dealership couldn't duplicate CEL)
Noisy sunroof even though it has been adjusted. Sunroof bezel kept falling off (fixed it from reading a thread about it)
Passenger side window switch works when it wants to.

I've never drag raced or auto x my car. I mostly drive interstate miles. I do an occasional mountain drive every once in awhile.
I've had less problems out of my car after 50k miles. I guess it took awhile to work the bugs out.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
Mine has made that weird start-up noise too. Just started to happen on occasion during the last year or so. I was a little concerned, but it seems it's fairly common.

As for the dragging brakes. Did you ever get the slide pins lubed? I know when I first got TC they would definitely drag. After I replaced the pads and they lubed the slide pins, it more or less stopped doing it. There is no more uneven pad wear either.

Also. Any word on that ebrake recall that was mentioned earlier back?? Or was that even a thing?
Yeah I lubed it unless I am lubing some weird bolt on the caliper that requires an Allen to get out. That would suck lol.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM

I just hit 50,000 miles. Currently I have an issue with my E-Brake, its extremely loose, and I have to pull it up to the very top, it barely holds. Im not sure if thats covered under any service plan. I also have "Slow Windows". I have an issue with the rear passenger window not even working. And the body panels on the rear bumper, are sort of sagging or slightly gapping for some reason. My brakes are getting close to needing replaced again as well. I have an 09 4 door.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trock
I just hit 50,000 miles. Currently I have an issue with my E-Brake, its extremely loose, and I have to pull it up to the very top, it barely holds. Im not sure if thats covered under any service plan. I also have "Slow Windows". I have an issue with the rear passenger window not even working. And the body panels on the rear bumper, are sort of sagging or slightly gapping for some reason. My brakes are getting close to needing replaced again as well. I have an 09 4 door.
If your service plan is with GMPP, I'd be happy to check by your VIN to see what kind of coverage you've got. Please send me the last 8 digits via private message.
Sarah, GM Customer Service
Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Thank you for your assistance, however I didnt purchase the car new, so I dont believe i qualify for your help necessarily.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
If your service plan is with GMPP, I'd be happy to check by your VIN to see what kind of coverage you've got. Please send me the last 8 digits via private message.
Sarah, GM Customer Service
Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trock
There is a how-to on how to adjust the ebrake here : https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...brakes-168592/

I daubed some lock tite on my adjustment nut as I just don't trust it's nylon threads but I am wondering if I should have adjusted my ebrake to maximum slack before compressing the calipers' piston when I changed out the pads and rotors. That is when my adjustment went all out of whack and similar to what you are describing. I bottomed out the the nut on the adjustment shaft (maximum tight adjustment) and it is 3 clicks and there is noticeable drag, 5 clicks and it will hold my car on any hill, 8-10 clicks curtly while in motion for hektik skidz. It's been stable in the new adjustment (and consistent in hold strength relative to number of "clicks up") for about 4k miles fwiw and me using the parking brake to regulate speed on steeper slopes and at speeds ranging from highway to slow suburb every day.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Well I just hit 66,666 miles yesterday...

I was waiting for something bad to happen as I closed into that devils mileage on my way to pick up my pizza order from Almafi's pizza place.

Got my pizza and on my way home I hit it, I closed my eyes and waited for something bad to happen, quickly realizing it was stupid to close my eyes so I immediately opened them. Then all of a sudden... I hit 66,667 miles and I was relaxed, phew!.

I get home and low and behold, the bq chicken pizza I had ordered turned into a cheese pizza. SOB. Must have changed into the cheese pizza during the trip home when I hit 66,666...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kzak104
my passenger window goes up slower then my driver, i just assume its because it sat on the lot for so long, my drivers side window used to be slow to but as i use it it gets better. and my car makes that werid startup sound aswell

Cobalt ss metallic rattle on cold starts - YouTube
For you guys with the noisy cam phasers, I used to get that noise all the time on cold start ups as well using Mobil 1. I switched to Penzzoil Ultra 5w30 (I'm definitely no Penzzoil nut hugger either) and never heard it since. Switched back to Mobil 1 to test it out, noise came back. (true story bro, lol).
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Mine's at 120k (06 ss sc), and I haven't really had anything major happen. I had to replace all the brakes about three months ago, but that's about it. I'm taking it in for some routine maintenance and oil change this week, and see what they say about it.

The obvious stuff I've had happen though -- lights burn out on the steering wheel, the clutch switch doesn't work so no cruise control, my sunroof button is broken, and the paint on my door handle is coming off.

After reading these threads, I get the feeling I'm pretty lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up