08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Coupe with 174k on the dial. Just acquired the car from a family member and has had minimal work to it. Brake pads and new clutch I think is the only thing been replaced at some point quite recently. Now just having vacuum/purge valve issues. Other than that still running solidly.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
174k!! Turbo ss model really?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner
174k!! Turbo ss model really?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Creeping up on 99,000. Not doing too bad.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 52K, replaced the rotors, brake pads and the clutch because of the previous owner running the car hard. The only problems I've had was because of many learning experiences haha lol I love my LNF and I don't see myself getting rid of her anytime soon if she can last up to 100K+ she's a keeper for sure.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobalt SS is definitely in the "get your feet wet" class of cars and I can understand why they get ditched.

It's also one you can expect to be abused or having an an inexperienced former driver, at least, more so than other cars.

I bought one to bridge the gap between cars.

I got one at higher mileage for a good price (65k miles). I'm at 85k now with what I'd probably say are expected issues. My battery died, my bushings were shot (one still is in fact), rotors are totally fried, alternator bearings bit it, rear caliper retaining pin fell off, heater blower fan bearing is going out, gears are a little chunky (feels like permanent, if minor, damage), "chrome" door handle peeling, creaks and squeaks, steering rattle, driver window motor is starting to struggle, clutch is almost gone (since I bought it), and I blew my intercooler end tank. Yes I have bolt ons, and yes that's probably why it exploded, but that doesn't take away from the fact it was garbage plastic that was brittle as a cookie. It's not a good cost saving place.

As I said, I expected it for the most part and so far having done all the work on my own I saved quite a bit of money. The stressful part was the majority of this was within 3 months. If more continues to go at this rate then it might not have been such a good buy, but I have no reason to believe that is going to happen. I'm running low on "regular" maintenance at this mileage. I've also done a bit of preventative, like belts, plugs, brake fluid, end links, most bushings, the usual things.

My general impression of build quality is poor for non critical things. A thousand screws and push pins when a single molded piece of plastic or two would do (underbody) drives me insane. Taking off the bumper made me feel like someone gave a junior engineer the task of designing it, couldn't figure out any elegant way of doing it (look at other cars dude), and got a bunch of strangely shaped plastic parts and screwed them together then screwed a bumper to that.

The transmission seems strong (I guess sourcing elsewhere for this was smart), the axles don't give me tons of confidence though. The engine seems strong, the stock turbo capability is pretty phenomenal considering everything. Handling is pretty excellent for a fwd car when the bushings aren't eating themselves alive. I don't get on this thing like I have cars in the past. I baby it. Partly because I just wanted a quick commuter, but also party because I feel like I'm going to break something. It just isn't "solid" to me, not yet. I doubt I ever will really push it.

I realize this sounds like I hate it, but I don't. It looks unassuming (silver 4dr), it has a strong engine that responds to cheap mods, a decent transmission, and handles fairly well. It's hard to get those features at this price point and for that it's worth buying. However there are plenty of better cars for plenty of reasons, sometimes all the reasons, and it's likely that pretty much everyone will move on. This isn't anything to be ashamed of though, car loyalty doesn't do anything for you, just remember the good times.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 AM
liu

2008 SS/TC Original Owner, 150800 miles on it last I checked.

Very few problems with the car thus far:
Windshield replaced at 2000 miles (stupid rocks on roads)
High pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty early on
GM Stage 1 sensor connectors were wire-nutted and taped by the dealer, I had some strange conditions that went away after I fumbled around and soldered them up right myself.
Front sway bar end links replaced twice
One lug nut snapped recently
Intercooler - endcaps busted when I bottomed out once (replaced with aftermarket IC)
JUST did a busted water pump at 150k (which I must add is a pain in the ass to replace)
EVAP purge solenoid replaced twice
Plugs replaced once or possibly twice
Replaced rear bearing assembly (both sides because they were cheap) at around 120k
Brake pads/rotors once (I'm still trying to figure out the trick with the damn Brembo pins, waited far too long to swap out the pads the first time (at around 120k) and the pins were so well siezed that I ended up having to cut the pins to punch them out - as a tip, I ended up cutting the pin in the center, and bending it at a 90 degree angle, rotating them until they broke free with some pliers and then cutting them flush and punching them out with an air hammer + punch. Be very cautious if you go this route, aluminum gets some nice dents in it when you slip with an air hammer hopefully with the anti-sieze on the pins this time around they'll be a little easier to remove)

I think that's about it in terms of service thus far, of course now that I say this, I'll blow something up.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Econobox
"chrome" door handle peeling".
Ha! I thought that was just me. Damn thing cut me almost down to the bone, one day.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by murderedout09
Bought my 09 brand new. Just rolled 85k last week.

I've done brakes twice, cam actuator solinoids in/ex, and I broke the ball linkage where the shift cable ties on to the ball on the shifter.

Other then that, it's been a great car, and I still enjoy driving it.
Apparently I jinxed myself.

Last week my low coolant light came on, then about 30min down the road later my heat started blowing cold. Hit the next gas station and coolant bottle was bone dry, and didn't see any leaks. Filled it up, and made it home.

Next day coolant light came on, topped it off, and checked for leaks again. Nothing. So then I checked my oil. It was orange and about 3in over full. Had coolant in it.

Took it to the dealer, I get a call the next day saying saying the head is cracked. Weird cuz I figured it was a water pump, cracked sleeve, pourous block....you know common problems. But it's still under warrantee, and I'm enjoying beating on my 2014 Malibu rental car. Does great burnouts.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 PM

I have 63k miles on mine, and I bought it in late September with 57k miles. Had to replace the shift cable in December when it was stuck in first gear, forced it out and snapped the cable right in front of the shifter. The chrome on the door handles are peeling, there are some squeaks and rattles, driver's side seat belt sometimes doesn't retract too quickly, the rotors and pads need to be replaced (not sure if they were replaced before) and the passenger side window goes up sort of slow. And the blower for the heat makes a different noise at the first setting, like something flapping inside or something. Other than that, I really like the car. I would like to run it until it drops.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM

I currently have 115,000 kms on my '08. Still a good car.

Had a few minor issues, had to replace the Intake and Exhaust Cam Actuators (it was running weird and not NLSing properly), had to replace the front sway bar end links because i screwed up the stock ones trying to get them off (but it's ok, I got upgraded Moog ones that you can actually grease).

Replaced brakes a few times, had troubles with the brembo pins getting stuck... replaced the Evap Purge Solonoid, Spark Plugs, etc...

Also Seafoam is a wonderful thing. The car always seems to come alive again after running that stuff through the intake. haha.

I may have to look into getting the intake valves cleaned due to the build up our cars get on them (it's inevitable). Since our cars are direct injection and they can't clean their own valves in the way a port injection car can. From what i've heard the easiest way to do it, is to take off the intake manifold and use some intense intake cleaner and walnut blast to remove the gunk (just gotta make sure the valves are CLOSED before doing this.) People who have done it mention their cars idle smoother, get better mileage, and are more responsive.

I've been on a rattle hunt lately trying to make the car smooth and quiet, it's been quite a battle. haha.

Other than this the car is great. Hope to keep it for another 100,000 kms at least
Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
I currently have 115,000 kms on my '08. Still a good car.

Had a few minor issues, had to replace the Intake and Exhaust Cam Actuators (it was running weird and not NLSing properly), had to replace the front sway bar end links because i screwed up the stock ones trying to get them off (but it's ok, I got upgraded Moog ones that you can actually grease).

Replaced brakes a few times, had troubles with the brembo pins getting stuck... replaced the Evap Purge Solonoid, Spark Plugs, etc...

Also Seafoam is a wonderful thing. The car always seems to come alive again after running that stuff through the intake. haha.

I may have to look into getting the intake valves cleaned due to the build up our cars get on them (it's inevitable). Since our cars are direct injection and they can't clean their own valves in the way a port injection car can. From what i've heard the easiest way to do it, is to take off the intake manifold and use some intense intake cleaner and walnut blast to remove the gunk (just gotta make sure the valves are CLOSED before doing this.) People who have done it mention their cars idle smoother, get better mileage, and are more responsive.

I've been on a rattle hunt lately trying to make the car smooth and quiet, it's been quite a battle. haha.

Other than this the car is great. Hope to keep it for another 100,000 kms at least

I agree on the Seafoam... if it seems to idle rough with the AC on or misbhaves when I gotta roll out before the cat warm up is finished, an intake seafoam always straightens it out. Mine seems to need it every 6k miles or so... I should probably just get the Powel solution and replace/clean my intake valves but at the end of the day I am not too motivated with a viable solution for remedying the problems when they come back and its soo easy and cheap to do I can't see bothering.

I figured I'd chime in since its benn 12k miles since I installed GMS1 on my 2010 (had 110k @ install time)

I went through another set of brakes, all pretty evenly worn down to squeal level. This time I went with OEM rear rotors instead of aftermarket and the brake bite feels so much better all the way around. SInce I always replace rotors when the pads are gone and given the price of OE rotors I can't recommend going with something else where they are concerned.

In reading some of the other posts and what has been on the forum lately i wonder if I am the only one who hasn't had a problem with CABs. Mine still look and feel great while passing the suggested apply-torque-to-lugnut-with-wheel-off-ground test.

Overall I still love this car and am going to miss it when it goes. Its been a great 122k and an especially great last 12k.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sitting at 114,395 miles (~184,100 km) right now.
I bought the car in 2010 with 60k miles on it. Previous owner put 60k miles on it in ONE YEAR! I don't know why I bought the car. Just something about it made me want it.
I can't say I regret the purchase.
The problems I've had over the past 4 years have all been electrical. Every few weeks, my battery would randomly die. I thought it was the alternator, but the mechanic I took it to said my alternator is fine. It must be the battery.
So I bought a new battery. Few weeks in, the battery dies. Recharge. Battery dies again a few weeks later. Recharge. Rinse and repeat.
I returned that battery thinking it was the battery's problem. Got a new battery and the problem occurred again.
I finally gave up and let the car sit. From July 2013 to June 2014, the car sat on my driveway collecting dust and spiderwebs.
I got fed up of the car sitting there, me still paying monthly for it to not run and so I had a new mechanic check it out. He discovered the problem after a few days.
The previous owner installed an aftermarket DVD player where the cabin light should be-- y'know, the one that turns on the light inside when you open the car's door. Well, it turns out the DVD player would never turn off, even with the car off. It would continue using the battery's power and killing the battery repeatedly.
All that time wasted... Wow. I could've been driving the car for that 11 months it had been sitting on my driveway for no reason.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:07 PM

2009 130K brakes, struts, now having unfound evap problems. 4 door highway hockey miles. Shifts hard to 5th when real cold out below 0 degrees Ferlinghetti--only for the last 2 years. Body perfect in salty Wisconsin winters.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The cobalt can last a long time if its maintained and not **** kicked
Old 11-28-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They like to eat tires
Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Well that all depends on the throttle control
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No doubt
Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
84k and what ever the last owner ****** did. Still has warranty but it's beat up :l
Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 PM

187,000km. Bought 3 months ago...
Seized shifter cables
Reverse lock out broken
Play in the shifter (ball & socket)
Torn ctrl arm bushings
Blown front shocks
R/r shock freezes after an inch of articulation (r/r hops around corners)
Seized end links
L/f axle makes noise
Steering column rattle
Windshield looks sandblasted
Windshield leaks into Lt a pillar
Trans has a slight growl in 1st
... And the turbo boosts to 29psi (thats my fault)

Everything has been fixed/replaced except the boost issue, trans growl and the windsheild.

Pretty sure it was owned by a ricer previously so it was probably abused. Ricers dont know how to drive.
The dash trim was painted 3 different colours, black then powder blue then a pastel green (car is yellow).
Old 12-07-2014, 11:24 AM

my ss tc has 152k on it and still runs strong. prevenative maintenace is the key. i bout it used with 129k and and in a year put 23k miles and all i have ad to do since i have had it is constant oil changes and change spark plugs every 10k miles for some reason and breaks
Old 12-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
At 77k car running strong and hope it stays that way
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
36,000 and it's not broke in yet.😄
Old 12-08-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Motor popped at 58k. Ringlands went bye bye in cylinder 4.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
84k.

Runs very well.

Have done a ton of maintenance, but the suspension slowly needs a lot of upgrading.

No leaks or anything. Interior is slowly dying. Starting to refurb everything.

Quick Reply: How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up