08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Loud fluttering noise when i shift...5 psi boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud fluttering noise when i shift...5 psi boost

So I have been having this same problem for about a month now. I have an 09 ss. Some days my car starts and other days it wont start. Sometimes when I shift my car makes this loud fluttering noise and my boost wont go past 5. I have taken it to the dealer five times now and they claim that nothing is wrong with the car. They couldnt find anything. I find this really hard to believe and I have no clue what the hell is wrong with my car. Has anyone else had similar experiences with this, or does anyone know what could be the problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:34 AM

What modifications have you done to your car?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
different dealer
Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Your dealer is a bunch of idiots... yeah what mods do you have?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM

I have the gms1 and K&N Typhoon SRI
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM

sounds like a leak
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM

would the bypass valve have anything to do with it. Im new to these turbo cars, do you think I have water in my oil or engine. I had an AEM intake
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Every day there is a new one of us with the gms1 and this exact problem. Oh how I regret getting it sometimes...
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM

have you had this problem?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM

It is definitely the GMS1. Piece of crap. Check your wiring harness for the new sensors. Have they tried reflashing the tune?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM

so they finally figured out the problem after i pretty much told them. The bottom of the chargepiping has a huge hole in it.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Yeah that'll do it
Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM

do you think it would be worth it to get the forge bypass valve and replace the stock one. Ive heard that can cause it to flutter also and lose boost
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^x2 I would like to know the same thing as well
Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by pummy023
so they finally figured out the problem after i pretty much told them. The bottom of the chargepiping has a huge hole in it.
If it was the cold side make sure the radiator bolt sticking straight up is either removed, or put a 1/4" washer between the frame and the bolt to keep it away from the piping. Mine is gone all together, that ***** went right through it.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM

So I have been having this same problem for about a month now. I have an 09 ss. Some days my car starts and other days it wont start. Sometimes when I shift my car makes this loud fluttering noise and my boost wont go past 5. I have taken it to the dealer five times now and they claim that nothing is wrong with the car. They couldnt find anything. I find this really hard to believe and I have no clue what the hell is wrong with my car. Has anyone else had similar experiences with this, or does anyone know what could be the problem.
I have been to the dealer with the turbo flutter and 5psi boost too. All they tried to do is swap positions of the MAP sesor with the boost sensor. Like thats a fix. well it did not work. It was doing it today but after 40 miles of driving it pulled itself out of it. If i had a hole in the charge pipe wouldnt it flutter and be in limp mode all the time and not so randome? Also could this be the case since my car is so new and only has 13k on it.This problem is driving me crazy. when you say some days it starts and some days it wont start ,do you mean actually start or "act up"?sorry if that was a stupid question....
car is going back to dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM

ya the dealer said the radiator was "sticking out to much" and that caused it to put a hole in my charge piping. As for the starting, i would go out in the morning for work and my car wouldnt start, wouldnt even try to turn over, no clicking or anything. And then a couple hours later it would start fine, but run like crap. meaning it would stutter and bog down, lose boost. So im hoping them replacing the charge piping will solve my issue, because it is pissing me off beyond belief, haha
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM

ya the dealer said the radiator was "sticking out to much" and that caused it to put a hole in my charge piping. As for the starting, i would go out in the morning for work and my car wouldnt start, wouldnt even try to turn over, no clicking or anything. And then a couple hours later it would start fine, but run like crap. meaning it would stutter and bog down, lose boost. So im hoping them replacing the charge piping will solve my issue, because it is pissing me off beyond belief, haha
My cause may be caused by a dif. reason being i have no starting problems or running bad except flutter and limp mode. runs smooth. I sure hope this fixed it for you i know how crazy it makes us.
good luck
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Let us know what you find out Chevy350
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Dropped car off this morn. I sure hope they find it. I think their tech support is telling them to go the direction of the sensors. I found out the reason they swapped places with the sensors was to see if it would cause a code. FAIL. I personally think it is in the direction of the BPV, but what do I know.
I think if they would contact the engeneers who created this "tune" they may get some answers since it seems to be a GM1 problem. well I guess another week without my car. yipeeee.
I need to find how to find out what day my car was built. Someone must have been pissed off or hung over!!!! prob a monday. Still hung over and pissed that they had to go to work!!
Will keep you updated
Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by chevy350
I have been to the dealer with the turbo flutter and 5psi boost too. All they tried to do is swap positions of the MAP sesor with the boost sensor. Like thats a fix. well it did not work. It was doing it today but after 40 miles of driving it pulled itself out of it. If i had a hole in the charge pipe wouldnt it flutter and be in limp mode all the time and not so randome? Also could this be the case since my car is so new and only has 13k on it.This problem is driving me crazy. when you say some days it starts and some days it wont start ,do you mean actually start or "act up"?sorry if that was a stupid question....
Not if it's similar to the location of the OP's. When mine was punctured it would drive fine in the morning, but fell on its face later in the day. The heat was causing the minisule hole (at the time) to open since the flex joint is that rubber **** but when it was cold, it was tight enough the air wouldn't leak out.

The start/no start is odd though, no matter how many leaks or powertrain issues I've had the car never refused to start.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by chevy350
Exact same thing has happened to me several times...Maybe 5-7 times in the least 15 months or so. I've had GMS1 for a year and had it HP Tuned this spring, and it has happened maybe 2-3 times this year so far. Brought it to the dealer once but as it's intermitent they cold not find it. Most of the time it does this, flutters, boost @ 5 PSI and next time I take the car all is fine. It rarely happens, but still is annoying. The other day I drove it for a while and all of a sudden it "fixed" itself and was a lot better. I have about 90 000 KM's on the car, been stock for about 35000 kms, Stage 1 40000 and tuned for 15 maybe.

It has happened after I got my forge BPV installed as well, so it did not fix it.

Not a big problem, but it's annoying when it happens! I just hope there is no civic ricer that wants to race me when it does, as I couldn't humiliate him him!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doomtor
Exact same thing has happened to me several times...Maybe 5-7 times in the least 15 months or so. I've had GMS1 for a year and had it HP Tuned this spring, and it has happened maybe 2-3 times this year so far. Brought it to the dealer once but as it's intermitent they cold not find it. Most of the time it does this, flutters, boost @ 5 PSI and next time I take the car all is fine. It rarely happens, but still is annoying. The other day I drove it for a while and all of a sudden it "fixed" itself and was a lot better. I have about 90 000 KM's on the car, been stock for about 35000 kms, Stage 1 40000 and tuned for 15 maybe.

It has happened after I got my forge BPV installed as well, so it did not fix it.

Not a big problem, but it's annoying when it happens! I just hope there is no civic ricer that wants to race me when it does, as I couldn't humiliate him him!!!
Good to know that it still happened after your tune. Some were saying it was the GM1 but that proves that thought wrong and as for the Forge BPV and it still did it says it is not the BPV. Damn now what?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Just for the record I'm having the same problem. I have Stage 1 and a K&N Typhoon. Sometimes is works great, sometimes it flutters and limps @5psi. I haven't been able to get it to the dealer for weeks, so I don't know what they will say yet. I just went out and rotated the filter to 12:30 to see if it does anything, but I expect it won't.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Well i called the dealer and I guess the reason they switched spotts with the 2 sensors is because only one of the spots will throw a code. so they said that the sensor that went into that spot threw a code. So they replaced the 2 sensors. Boost and Map. Now they say they have boost in all the gears but something is wrong in 1st. If I am not mistaking, there was never much in first. could it be they think there was more in first that really is? My car has been there since Sat. they still have not even looked at the "creaky clutch pedal" yet.

Quick Reply: Loud fluttering noise when i shift...5 psi boost