08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

LSJ rear brakes on LNF ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSJ rear brakes on LNF ??

As the tittle states, is swapping to LSJ rear brakes on my LNF easy to do?

​​​​​​Purpose would be to get rid of the troublesome rear TC brakes that always seem to grind and etc.

​Powell says he used front brembos with stock lsj rears on his lsj or redline? And it was fine?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Iirc the lsj has the same issues as the lnf rear braking wise.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Iirc the lsj has the same issues as the lnf rear braking wise.
Really?? You sure??

Never seen a thread or post on it ever being a problem .... 🤔

TC's have issues with the rear brakes without fail.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Miltb
Really?? You sure??

Never seen a thread or post on it ever being a problem .... 🤔

TC's have issues with the rear brakes without fail.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Yes, the grown just like the lnfs. Iirc the only difference is size.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Lnf has vented rear discs, lsj is a solid disc. I have lsj rears on my car, no real issues but my car is loud.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Lnf has vented rear discs, lsj is a solid disc. I have lsj rears on my car, no real issues but my car is loud.
Interesting ....
Loud brakes you mean???
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
No like solid mounts and 3” exhaust. A little brake noise wouldnt bother me, its not something I pay attention to. I dont think the lsjs are quite as bad as the lnf but im not sure if they are a direct swap. Powell might know.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
lube the **** out of your slide pins, they say 'light coat" but they can use a nice heavier coat especially in winter time when things get stiff. adjust your ebrake cable properly, should grab and hold in about 5-7 clicks. replace the cables from the car to calipers, mine had rust holes. all 3 of these things helped my rear brakes to the point where pad wear is almost dead even. then again, it also had the calipers replaced at 82k (at 128k now). I need new rear rotors and pads though, the ebay ones i have on are junk.
The following users liked this post:
Slowbalt2000 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh
lube the **** out of your slide pins, they say 'light coat" but they can use a nice heavier coat especially in winter time when things get stiff. adjust your ebrake cable properly, should grab and hold in about 5-7 clicks. replace the cables from the car to calipers, mine had rust holes. all 3 of these things helped my rear brakes to the point where pad wear is almost dead even. then again, it also had the calipers replaced at 82k (at 128k now). I need new rear rotors and pads though, the ebay ones i have on are junk.
r1concepts has a good set on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
No like solid mounts and 3” exhaust. A little brake noise wouldnt bother me, its not something I pay attention to. I dont think the lsjs are quite as bad as the lnf but im not sure if they are a direct swap. Powell might know.
Sweet. I'm not so worried about brake noise either as much as having unreliable brakes that wear to fast.

I'm pretty sure lnf rears will swap onto an lsj car, using the lnf brake lines as well .... If it works one way I assume it'll work in backwards too.

Is Powell from Ontario Canada?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Sweet. I'm not so worried about brake noise either as much as having unreliable brakes that wear to fast.

I'm pretty sure lnf rears will swap onto an lsj car, using the lnf brake lines as well .... If it works one way I assume it'll work in backwards too.

Is Powell from Ontario Canada?
Where are you getting they wear to fast? I've been running the same rear rotors for 100k miles (with some spirited driving and braking) had to put new pads in around 50k miles.

Powell is in Ontario
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Where are you getting they wear to fast? I've been running the same rear rotors for 100k miles (with some spirited driving and braking) had to put new pads in around 50k miles.

Powell is in Ontario
Wow guess you greased them good? Is there also a caliper bur problem .... From the thread I was reading. 100k is amazing .... Dunno how you could get that many miles outta brakes on any car??

Well I'm getting it from the massive lnf brake problem sticky thread .... And have had friend's with crappy rest brakes on there LNF's .... Including one who had his rears seize completely so just drove without them for awhile.

Powell is from Ontario woop .... Makes shipping cheaper for me .... If I assume right he's about Two hours away. Likely gonna do rotated mounts.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Wow guess you greased them good? Is there also a caliper bur problem .... From the thread I was reading. 100k is amazing .... Dunno how you could get that many miles outta brakes on any car??

Well I'm getting it from the massive lnf brake problem sticky thread .... And have had friend's with crappy rest brakes on there LNF's .... Including one who had his rears seize completely so just drove without them for awhile.

Powell is from Ontario woop .... Makes shipping cheaper for me .... If I assume right he's about Two hours away. Likely gonna do rotated mounts.
I grease them semi regularly, most of the braking is the fronts. I've replaced those rotors twice already and 3 or 4 sets of pads (I don't usually run the pads to the end of life though).

I'd ask powell about the subject also
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS
r1concepts has a good set on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Cob...and+brake+pads
Those are junk. Either way, don't get drilled rotors.
I've never had any issues with the rear brakes on my 2010 LNF. Not sure if they finally fixed them or if I'm just lucky
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 532 Likes on 456 Posts
Junk brakes/rotors I define wearing them out <= 30,000km or them cracking or warping within the first couple of years.

I have slotted and drilled rotors now with ceramic pads and driving through traffic on one of the busiest highways of North America daily, they've held up very well. Close to 26,000kms now.

The black is gone, they're like a grey now (not silver).
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
The only issues I've ran into with lnf calipers are the ebrake portion of it stopped working and it wouldn't engage the ebrake with enough force and my car would roll. Other than that same here in 5 years I've owned 2 lnfs I've only changed the rear rotors once on each car
Old 01-31-2019, 02:58 PM

Awesome .... Thanks for the replies everyone.
from the sounds of it I should be good with just heavily greasing the heck out of the calipers (sliding areas and places that could seize.
should I put a bit of lithium on the rotots too?

​​​​​​Proper maintenance and the caliper being greased properly seems key.

I might buy new pads .... Hawk HPS 5.0 or OEM?

​​​​​​

Last edited by Miltb; 02-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Oem
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltss#01
Oem
Why?

Less noise? .... Orrrr? Better? .... Cheaper?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Quality. I have ebay rear pads and rotors. have maybe 30k on them and rotors are hairline cracked in several spots

but im not about to spend $250 on rear brakes before winter. They are working fine, winter wheels on so I'm not tracking or doing stupid hard stops. Just needs to last a few more months till I can get it fixed properly.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ThePanduuh
Quality. I have ebay rear pads and rotors. have maybe 30k on them and rotors are hairline cracked in several spots

but im not about to spend $250 on rear brakes before winter. They are working fine, winter wheels on so I'm not tracking or doing stupid hard stops. Just needs to last a few more months till I can get it fixed properly.
OEM will be quality of course .... But hawk also makes very good pads .... I have them on my other car .... Stopping is pretty consistent ....
Old 02-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
OEM will be quality of course .... But hawk also makes very good pads .... I have them on my other car .... Stopping is pretty consistent ....
I disagree. I went from stock pads on all 4 corners to Hawk HPS and I lost 2 seconds on my track lap times. I know that is extreme use, but still, it shows that nothing beats OEM. Well except race pads. Which I run Hawk's now as well (DTC-70's).
Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is NOTHING defective about the rear brakes on LNF models. The only common issue that occurs is uneven brake pad wear caused by a lack of lubrication on the caliper slide pins. The calipers are made by ATE and are used by many other OEMs. The best thing you can do as an owner is to invest in quality brake pads and rotors and properly apply high temperature synthetic brake lubricant to the caliper pins, not the $1 packet of dielectric grease that some auto parts stores will sell you. Permatex makes an excellent high temp synthetic ceramic brake parts lubricant that I've used for years, it will even hold up to track days:

Old 02-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
I disagree. I went from stock pads on all 4 corners to Hawk HPS and I lost 2 seconds on my track lap times. I know that is extreme use, but still, it shows that nothing beats OEM. Well except race pads. Which I run Hawk's now as well (DTC-70's).
Okay .... Good to know .... Guess gm made really good track type pads for these considering they put a track record out with the TC
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sport Red LNF
There is NOTHING defective about the rear brakes on LNF models. The only common issue that occurs is uneven brake pad wear caused by a lack of lubrication on the caliper slide pins. The calipers are made by ATE and are used by many other OEMs. The best thing you can do as an owner is to invest in quality brake pads and rotors and properly apply high temperature synthetic brake lubricant to the caliper pins, not the $1 packet of dielectric grease that some auto parts stores will sell you. Permatex makes an excellent high temp synthetic ceramic brake parts lubricant that I've used for years, it will even hold up to track days:

Done .... That's what I'll do ....

I just want this car to be less problems than my other car.

Quick Reply: LSJ rear brakes on LNF ??