08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GRok25
Nls?
No-lift shift.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no lift shift....... im retarted.... ignore my last post.
Auto Trans probs
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by TY8425
My rev limit is stock. Had my tuner leave that alone to save the motor. And yes I have pegged it before an it does pop both then and yes when I nls. It's not the popping I'm worried about. It's an actual miss in the motor. I use my nls, and then hit the next gear, and its like an injector or coil or plug cuts out until I let up.
When this happens, have you let your engine warm up properly?
I found this would happen if I tried to use Launch Control and NLS when the car wasn't fully warmed up. Made this same miss after shifting (felt horrible). Needless to say I've learned my lesson after a couple attempts. I always make sure my engine is good and warmed up before trying anything like that and it hasn't happened since.

Keep in mind any cars engine takes a while to fully warm up. A friend of mine who recently went to school for is apprenticeship said you would be surprised how long it takes for the pistons to expand and all that other junk that happens when a car warms up.

Also the stock redline is 6250 rpm.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's the popcorn-popping sound, that's the injector seals.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Did they say whether or not your pump was under warranty?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Looks like you have some warranty questions, TY8495. Send me the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage and I can get you specifics on what's covered on your car right now.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM

damn, injector seals, didnt think of that one as well. I thought those only went out on e85 cars?
anyways, mosy likely the misfires are from the gapping in the spark plugs or a fueling issue....gl
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
Looks like you have some warranty questions, TY8495. Send me the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage and I can get you specifics on what's covered on your car right now.

Thank you Sarah!
61,407 on the miles.
All I really need to know is what is covered under warranty. Like my other posts say, I have a few small issues w the car. When I let out of wide open throttle, it smokes, mostly white but has some blue in it. And it smells like oil, and it pours out bad. I've been told that could be a couple things. I think it's valve seals.
And secondly, the "misfiring" issue, maybe that's the fuel pump?(mechanical high pressure can driven).
And lastly, is the clutch covered under warranty or would that be classified as just ware and tear and I'd have to pay for that.
Thank you, again!

Last edited by TY8425; 02-06-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the mileage in.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Banned

Now mine is started to do it even when oil is up to temp (I assume is up to temp after 10 mins of driving); floor it in second, hit full boost and it does the machine gun around 5k rpms.

I'm thinking a sensor may be loose after dealership replaced piston ring, head and turbo.... maybe the crank position sensor is the culprit....does anybody have a diagram that shows sensor location?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 AM

My shift light thread is basically the same thing. Maybe try not using NLS since its pretty hard on **** unless you know you got an actually close line up. I just get that bad misfire when I'm going through gears and just barely touch rev limit due to tire spin then CEL flashes then I let off for a second since it sounds like it drops a cylinder then get back on it and everything is 100% . Thus my CEL is always on throwing 1,2,3,4 and engine misfire codes. Never throws codes it just picks them up if I rev limit on accident hence rev limit causes misfires.
I always thought it was my trifecta tune some kind of safety limp mode deal

I will soon be HPtuned let you know if it makes a difference and I ordered a raptor shift light
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
When this happens, have you let your engine warm up properly?
I found this would happen if I tried to use Launch Control and NLS when the car wasn't fully warmed up. Made this same miss after shifting (felt horrible). Needless to say I've learned my lesson after a couple attempts. I always make sure my engine is good and warmed up before trying anything like that and it hasn't happened since.

Keep in mind any cars engine takes a while to fully warm up. A friend of mine who recently went to school for is apprenticeship said you would be surprised how long it takes for the pistons to expand and all that other junk that happens when a car warms up.

Also the stock redline is 6250 rpm.
totally this is your problem the only time i ever have problems is when i start goofin around before the car is up to 180 coolant temp atleast always warm your car even in the summer not as long but atleast let it idle down
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM

it's called detonation. it's REALLY bad for your motor. it happens to all of us turbo cars...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Detonation happens to all piston engines lol
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM

well... yeah... but moreso turbo cars. when you let go of the gas, and get back on it fast. it'll do it sometimes. my buddies evo did the same thing. and he told me all turbo cars are like this...

funny once he told me that, my car stopped doing it lol
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by damastah
it's called detonation. it's REALLY bad for your motor. it happens to all of us turbo cars...
Detonation and misfire two different things, we are misfiring.

misfire: To fail to ignite when expected

detonation: rapid combustion in an internal combustion engine that results in knocking

Not all turbo cars detonate...poorly running turbo cars detonate
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StrikeForce1320
My shift light thread is basically the same thing. Maybe try not using NLS since its pretty hard on **** unless you know you got an actually close line up. I just get that bad misfire when I'm going through gears and just barely touch rev limit due to tire spin then CEL flashes then I let off for a second since it sounds like it drops a cylinder then get back on it and everything is 100% . Thus my CEL is always on throwing 1,2,3,4 and engine misfire codes. Never throws codes it just picks them up if I rev limit on accident hence rev limit causes misfires.
I always thought it was my trifecta tune some kind of safety limp mode deal

I will soon be HPtuned let you know if it makes a difference and I ordered a raptor shift light
This is exactly what's happening to my car, but mine does it seldomly; most the time it spins and hits rev limiter without drama, other times it hits and get the all cylinder misfire. Very frustrating!

I truly believe this is a sensor problem.

How many miles are on your car?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM

MINE IS DOING IT AT 51K MILES. bUT LIKE I SAID, I HAD THE CAR SCANNED, AND MINE CAME UP AS A HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP ISSUE, AND POSSIBLE FUEL RAIL AND MINE WENT INTO REDUCED POWER MODE.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Soofisahab
I've wondered if the solenoids that control the cams are causing the misfire....I'm gonna pull them out and inspect.

What other sensors could cause this prob? My misfires are strange as once my oil is up to temp they go away.
I've seen misfires on my dashhawk when the car is in cat warmup mode but as soon as it idles down there gone . I know when mine sputtered after a NLS that it wasnt temp related cause the car had been driven for awhile before hand . It seemed to me like the system that keeps the boost pressure up during the shift does it with valve timing ....and either I was a hair off or the NLS system was .

Another theory I would wonder about ..... with the way these cars can gum up the intake valves .... that it could be causing misfire issues as well as NLS issues . Direct Injection does have a few drawbacks unfortunately .
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rukkee
I've seen misfires on my dashhawk when the car is in cat warmup mode but as soon as it idles down there gone . I know when mine sputtered after a NLS that it wasnt temp related cause the car had been driven for awhile before hand . It seemed to me like the system that keeps the boost pressure up during the shift does it with valve timing ....and either I was a hair off or the NLS system was .

Another theory I would wonder about ..... with the way these cars can gum up the intake valves .... that it could be causing misfire issues as well as NLS issues . Direct Injection does have a few drawbacks unfortunately .
I think you hit the nail on the head! The system that controls the NLS system is somehow malfunctioning.

Are the two solenoids the only pieces that interact with the cams? What else should I check?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TY8425
Thank you Sarah!
61,407 on the miles.
All I really need to know is what is covered under warranty. Like my other posts say, I have a few small issues w the car. When I let out of wide open throttle, it smokes, mostly white but has some blue in it. And it smells like oil, and it pours out bad. I've been told that could be a couple things. I think it's valve seals.
And secondly, the "misfiring" issue, maybe that's the fuel pump?(mechanical high pressure can driven).
And lastly, is the clutch covered under warranty or would that be classified as just ware and tear and I'd have to pay for that.
Thank you, again!
In addition to emissions and corrosion (body panel sheet metal) warranties, you're still within your Powertain warranty until 07/13/2014 or 100,136 MI, whichever comes first.

I included a section below from the 2009 Chevrolet Warranty manual that describes what is covered and what is not covered under this warranty (clutch linings are considered wear and tear/maintenance).

I hope it's helpful to you - let me know if you have further questions!

Engine Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses lines and radiators.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (slave cylinder, etc.) as well as any. Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

Transfer Case Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case as well as encoder motor, transfer case control modules and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

Drive Systems Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc.) as
well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks Sarah, I really am speechless in not expecting to get all this info.
Are there any MINOR modifications that will void the power train warranty?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Misfires fixed with new battery!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Soofisahab
Misfires fixed with new battery!
Ha! Now THAT'S a new one.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
Ha! Now THAT'S a new one.
I wouldn't have ever guessed a new battery would stop misfires ...... was the battery good enough to start the car?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rukkee
I wouldn't have ever guessed a new battery would stop misfires ...... was the battery good enough to start the car?
Yes. Only indication of battery weakness was a few slow cranks when it was properly cold, and slight dimming of interior lights when rad fan kicked on.

Quick Reply: misfires