Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   NEED HELP ASAP! Clutch swapped, car won't start? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/need-help-asap-clutch-swapped-car-wont-start-307810/)

seeyaass 03-11-2014 02:25 PM

NEED HELP ASAP! Clutch swapped, car won't start?

What's up guys I recently just did a clutch job on my car. Everything went orett smooth.. I got the car back together, the car won't start. The cAr doesent turn over. Fuel pump doesn't prime. Horn doesn't work, headlights,fog lights, trunk button, do not work! But power to everything else, blinkers, radio, rpd etc.

This is the only problem. When I was taking out my starter, I accidentally tried to unscrew the wrong nut with the wires going to it, and since it's old the plastic cracked on the solenoid. I inspected it and didn't see anything that could be harmful, wasn't a big crack and there wasn't any metal that should be touching in that plastic.. Any possible way I shorted something out?

Anyone have anyyyyyy idea? Somewhere to send me to look? Need this ASAP it's my only car!

Thank everyone for their help

blueLNFftw 03-11-2014 02:29 PM

Did you get all of the plugs in the right holes when you put the fuse box back in? It will go together without them lined up. I have done it once.

seeyaass 03-11-2014 02:30 PM

Like instead of taking the bolt out with the positive and negative wire going to the starter I tried to ttaje the other bolt out, on accident, and once I gave it a turn the plastic on the solenoid cracked . Trying to make u guys get a good explanation

seeyaass 03-11-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSSstg2 (Post 7296999)
Did you get all of the plugs in the right holes when you put the fuse box back in? It will go together without them lined up. I have done it once.

I'm pretty sure I did.. I think I did. I looked under the fuse box and none of the prongs are bent or anything. I guess it's possible maybe they're not on 100% but I've snugged most of the screws that hold in the connectors.

dannysauer 03-11-2014 02:46 PM

Sounds like u missed a ground wire somewhere I would look over the wire harness and make sure all r connected

seeyaass 03-11-2014 02:56 PM

As far as I know when doing the Trans it's just the 2 plugs on the Trans, and the wires for the fuse box. I'm pretty sure I connected everything. And my friend has. A ss also and we put his good starter on my car to rule that out and my car still did the same symptoms. No start, fuel pump not on no horn, etc etc.

09CobaltSS1 03-11-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSSstg2 (Post 7296999)

Most likely this or something related to the fuse block somewhere. Disconnect the battery, seseperate the block, line up again and be absolutely sure that it locks down completely when tightening the screws back down in the block. If the 2 pieces of the block don't get sucked back together again when you start tightening the bolts then you likely aren't lined up perfectly.

seeyaass 03-11-2014 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1 (Post 7297057)
Most likely this or something related to the fuse block somewhere. Disconnect the battery, seseperate the block, line up again and be absolutely sure that it locks down completely when tightening the screws back down in the block. If the 2 pieces of the block don't get sucked back together again when you start tightening the bolts then you likely aren't lined up perfectly.

You think they'res any possible way that I could have shorted that fuse panel? When the fuse panel is plugged into the connectors there's no power going to the fuse for the ECM, high beams low beams, (using a test light) but all of the other fuses get power.

blueLNFftw 03-11-2014 05:30 PM

It is probably not all the way in.

SSlobalt 03-11-2014 06:45 PM

You can check the passenger-side console-panel fuse block as well. You didn't do this with the battery connected, right? Sorry, but I had to ask.

TStone 03-11-2014 07:14 PM

Pull the fuse block back out. plug all the connectors in before seating it down

StevoElSupremo 03-11-2014 07:56 PM

aside from this current issue....how hard was the clutch to do alone? asuming you're mechanically inclined but dont have a hoist lol

seeyaass 03-11-2014 09:44 PM

Got it guys! The fuse box wasn't on all the way. One of the screws weren't connecting right. Thanks for the help!

Clutch job isn't hard at all. I didn't have a engine hoist either.. I used a jack to support the motor and held the Trans up like a bench press when I took it out.. I had a friend there helping me. So that definitely helped A lot! ..

StevoElSupremo 03-11-2014 09:59 PM

hmmm.. I might attempt this myself if I need it done, hell I've done everything else to a cobalt haha! is there a howto you followed?

*oh and glad you figured it out :) always a relief eh?

seeyaass 03-11-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by TStone (Post 7297171)
Pull the fuse block back out. plug all the connectors in before seating it down

That's exactly what I did bud!

09CobaltSS1 03-11-2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by seeyaass (Post 7297293)
Got it guys! The fuse box wasn't on all the way. One of the screws weren't connecting right. Thanks for the help!

Score 1 for 09CobaltSS1 and BlackSSstg2.. ;)

Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo (Post 7297201)
aside from this current issue....how hard was the clutch to do alone? asuming you're mechanically inclined but dont have a hoist lol

Not terribly difficult, just time consuming especially the first time you do it. I've done about 5 and they still take me a solid 8hr day to complete start to finish.

seeyaass 03-11-2014 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo (Post 7297315)
hmmm.. I might attempt this myself if I need it done, hell I've done everything else to a cobalt haha! is there a howto you followed?

*oh and glad you figured it out :) always a relief eh?

There was a how to I followed on here before.. But I've had the Trans out before so I did everything by memory !

And oh what a relief man.