08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

NLS'ing at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NLS'ing at the track

I have a question for all the people that have done NLS successfully. I am going to a 1/4 mile drag strip tomorrow night for the first time and I'm trying to decide if I should try to NLS or not. I've tried Launch Control a few times and I didn't like it. I've also done a couple 1/8 mile drags before and I haven't used NLS, but since I will actually be getting timed at the 1/4 mile strip I am debating on trying to NLS. To be honest i'm also a little bit nervous to NLS and F**K something up in general. Any tips, pointers, or horror stories on this? Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM

ive heard horror stories. can't think of any right now, but i will say this. i used to NLS quite often and i can hit it every time. but after i read some of the stuff that was happening to peoples cars, i quit doing it period. track or street, i don't do it at all.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mccullj
ive heard horror stories. can't think of any right now, but i will say this. i used to NLS quite often and i can hit it every time. but after i read some of the stuff that was happening to peoples cars, i quit doing it period. track or street, i don't do it at all.
That.. Two of our club members have blown/shattered lifters, valve springs etc using NLS
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM

No Lift Shift feature requires the car to be in competition mode to properly execute. There is relatively little danger of screwing something up. The computer essentially controls the combustion process during a no lift shift. Pretty safe practice and many many real drag/street/track racers use aftermarket wot/nls boxes to accomplish this very same feature. Its a pretty good advantage after you reprogram your brain. Do some research and youll understand the specifics a bit more.

POWERshifting is what a lot.. and I mean A LOT of people mistake for No Lift Shift. During a powershift, there is no computer controlled process, the engine keeps going as it normally does, RPMS go up and then BAM. get slammed into the next gear. This is equivalent to setting 100 years worth of Hun militants to beat the crap out of your transmission and drivetrain. Some drag racers use this practice, mostly those who dont know better, or those who do and can afford a new transmission on the fly.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
No Lift Shift feature requires the car to be in competition mode to properly execute. There is relatively little danger of screwing something up. The computer essentially controls the combustion process during a no lift shift. Pretty safe practice and many many real drag/street/track racers use aftermarket wot/nls boxes to accomplish this very same feature. Its a pretty good advantage after you reprogram your brain. Do some research and youll understand the specifics a bit more.

POWERshifting is what a lot.. and I mean A LOT of people mistake for No Lift Shift. During a powershift, there is no computer controlled process, the engine keeps going as it normally does, RPMS go up and then BAM. get slammed into the next gear. This is equivalent to setting 100 years worth of Hun militants to beat the crap out of your transmission and drivetrain. Some drag racers use this practice, mostly those who dont know better, or those who do and can afford a new transmission on the fly.

What gets me is the fact that my brain is already programmed to let off the gas when I clutch and shift...so changing that up is out of the ordinary. I have tried to go over and over in my head to NOT take my foot off the gas depress/shift/let off clutch and it just seems that I get a sick feeling that I will mess something up. I'm probably just being a puss, but I'd rather not break something just to get a miniscule time difference.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Properly execute? Did I miss something? I've NLS just fine without being in competition mode.

Originally Posted by julius41282
What gets me is the fact that my brain is already programmed to let off the gas when I clutch and shift...so changing that up is out of the ordinary. I have tried to go over and over in my head to NOT take my foot off the gas depress/shift/let off clutch and it just seems that I get a sick feeling that I will mess something up. I'm probably just being a puss, but I'd rather not break something just to get a miniscule time difference.
*cough*warranty*cough*
Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Much like any new skill, it will take practice and time to learn. If it is not worth it to you due to some irrational fear, then i would implore you to do your research about the no-lift-shift technology. It has been implimented in performance racing for years. When you learn a new skill, you will make a mistake or two. Nobody is born knowing how to do this, every single one of us starts at level 0. The more you understand the technology and how it works, the easier it will be to train your brain. It is just another tool you can utilize. It is not mandatory, you will get to the end of the track one way or another, its just another method. It IS a very good sign that you arent so egotistical as to say "no point in no-lift-shift, that features garbage" like most people. It will be 100x harder to learn new skills if you start thinking you know everything.

Last edited by Grishbok; 09-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Maybe I should try some 3-4 NLS on the highway to get my brain trained enough to let my feet do the work and not think about it as much.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 AM

My brain is trained to do it at the track only or if i've actually prepared for a race. Otherwise I kinda forget about it >.>
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Maybe I should try some 3-4 NLS on the highway to get my brain trained enough to let my feet do the work and not think about it as much.
Thats the right attitude!

The older we get, the more stuck in bad driving habits we get. So the earlier you learn new skills, the easier it will be. Ive caught myself more than a few times using improper techniques and/or at the wrong times.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 AM

You do not need to be in competitive mode to NLS. It's a decent system on the turbo balt, but still, use at your own risk.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Much like any new skill, it will take practice and time to learn. If it is not worth it to you due to some irrational fear, then i would implore you to do your research about the no-lift-shift technology. It has been implimented in performance racing for years. When you learn a new skill, you will make a mistake or two. Nobody is born knowing how to do this, every single one of us starts at level 0. The more you understand the technology and how it works, the easier it will be to train your brain. It is just another tool you can utilize. It is not mandatory, you will get to the end of the track one way or another, its just another method. It IS a very good sign that you arent so egotistical as to say "no point in no-lift-shift, that features garbage" like most people. It will be 100x harder to learn new skills if you start thinking you know everything.
Please learn something about the car before handing out advice like a guru all people like you do is spread misinformation. The car does not need to be in any special traction control modes.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had conflicting info on this board. The owner's manual says you can do it in any mode. A GM engineer posted that you need to be in comp mode.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM

All anyone needs to do is go try it, It works in any mode exactly the same. It holds the rpms while you make the shift, you have a 1 sec window to do it. Anyone can go try and see the truth!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
We've had conflicting info on this board. The owner's manual says you can do it in any mode. A GM engineer posted that you need to be in comp mode.
You can do it in either mode. People that have a hard time getting this feature to work are simply not doing it right, it has nothing to do with what mode the car is in. There has been other reps etc speak on this feature as well and have made the comment that given the consequences of forgetting to press the comp button, it was decided to enable it full time. Ive done it in both modes, both modes resulted in a butter smooth NLS and a nice pop ...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all those horror stories are just people who cannot do it correctly. they shift too slow, or at the wrong rpm, or who knows what else. ive nls 1st all the way thru 5th on a dig and no problems. the 1-2 nls is hard, sure, but if u time it right, it wont **** anything up unless your getting wheel hop and other factors. ive only messed up a NLS about 2 or 3 times when i was getting used to it. now, its easy as cake. also, if the car breaks because of NLS, it will be covered under warranty. they cant deny your warranty for doing something that is advertised on the car. unless ur modded of course.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dart_SI
all those horror stories are just people who cannot do it correctly. they shift too slow, or at the wrong rpm, or who knows what else. ive nls 1st all the way thru 5th on a dig and no problems. the 1-2 nls is hard, sure, but if u time it right, it wont **** anything up unless your getting wheel hop and other factors. ive only messed up a NLS about 2 or 3 times when i was getting used to it. now, its easy as cake. also, if the car breaks because of NLS, it will be covered under warranty. they cant deny your warranty for doing something that is advertised on the car. unless ur modded of course.
Agreed. That being said, I do not do it as often as I did because of the stories floating around. The warranty thing is iffy. There have been many dealers claiming Abuse and denying warranty claims even on unmodded LNFs. If your going to do it, practrice it on the street, not at the track. The track is really sticky and your adrenaline is running increasing the chance of you missing the shift. Practice until your comfortable doing it smoothly THEN try it at the track.

PS As its been stated, NLS can be performed in any mode. The only reason to turn Comp mode on is to engage Launch Control. The only reason why it may be safer to NLS in Traction off or Comp mode is because if your in regular mode and the car detects slip at wot and your about to NLS, bad things can happen.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
Please learn something about the car before handing out advice like a guru all people like you do is spread misinformation. The car does not need to be in any special traction control modes.
im not here to be a target for you buddy. What I should have said is "SHOULD be in comp mode to properly execute". I am not a guru and the last thing I want to do is spread misinformation, but I do have experience and tons of it. Ive reached a point where id like to try to share some of that experience with others in order to solidify my techniques, and be challenged.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys...trying it on the street first would be much smarter for first-timers like myself due to the fact that everytime I've been to a track so far I get more nervous than when I'm driving around town. When that adrenaline gets pumping it's much easier to slip up! Plus everytime I lauch, I either launch too low and bog or too high and can't get ANY traction til I hit 3rd...

Who's had great results with their launches and at what RPM are you launching?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM

I nls during any race. You'll be fine just watch your rpms and do it quickly. Good luck at the track.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Lower your tire pressure and launch around 2500, that's what worked for me.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 007 redline

I lowered my tire pressure to 28 up front the last time I was at the track and it seemed ehhhh alright I guess. Maybe 2500 is the sweet spot b/c 2000 was too low and 3000 was too high, for me anyway...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM

sub'd to read later
Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM

run 26psi
launch around 2200 to 2500
regular shift to 2nd, and NLS to 3rd and 4rth.
this you will like and with your sig I bet you get great times....
post them up afterewards,
Im guessing after you get it all figured out and your first time out, you get 13.3's maybe 4's
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 007 redline
And resist the urge to slam the gas down in 1st once you let the clutch out all the way. Quickly roll into it. And be conscious of wheel hop, thats what breaks things

Quick Reply: NLS'ing at the track