08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

No Turbo boost sometimes, severe oil use sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Turbo boost sometimes, severe oil use sometimes

I have a 2010 SS 2.0L turbo, manual trans, 169k miles and are basically having two issues that I need some direction on. First, when I start (or restart) engine, the turbo will be fine the first time at hard acceleration, if I really get on it, it works fine. Once I let off of the gas pedal, any other times, I get no boost at all. If I turn the key off, then accelerate hard, it has boost, but again, once I back off, I have no boost.

The second issue just happens occasionally. I can go days or weeks without it happening, but sometimes it happens all the time. It is while at cruising speeds, (50-60mph) all of a sudden, I hear detonation, look back and the smoke is so bad, I cant even see a car behind me. I can stop after a short while, and have had to put in as much as 3.5 quarts of oil. I literally checked it right before the last time this happened, oil level was full, I went about 5 miles with it smoking and used 3.5 quarts of oil. I was out of town on a trip last week and I had this happen 4-5 times on my trip home, ended up consuming 10+ quarts of oil on a 300 mile trip. This also happened about 6 months ago, then all of a sudden, stopped. I have put about 20k miles on it without incident, then last week, started happening again. I unhooked the pcv valve that leads to the intake tube, it helped some but it did not solve the issue. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Like I said, it does not happen all the time, so it leads me to believe its not the turbo but some other ancillary part or valve or solenoid going bad, clogged, etc
Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Your first sentence has me a bit confused. Your car should not build boost when you aren't pushing on the gas pedal. Unless you are saying it only boosts once and the next time you hammer down it won't but your boost SHOULD drop off when you let out.

Now as far as your massive oil consumption I would think it is either your turbo or something very wrong in the engine. You could start with a compression test. There is nothing in the engine that should cause intermittent massive oil consumption and then other times be fine that I can think of. I'm not familiar with the mode in which turbos consume oil so I can't comment on that.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like turbo or turbo seals are bad to me.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Sounds like the seals in the turbo to me. Other than that, a blown head gasket. not much to go wrong for you to consume that much oil, not even completely dead oil control rings should use that much oil in that amount of time. You may also somehow pulling oil in through your pcv system.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses but as I said.... this is an occasional issue. If the head gasket was blown, I would not have these "occasional" episodes. I feel like the same with the turbo. I could be wrong. I feel like there is some valve, sensor, solenoid, etc that is releasing oil into the engine. I was hoping someone else experienced this occasional issue. I have had periods of over 5-6k miles between the severe oil usage which makes no sense to me. Any other input would be appreciated
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Well if you want to see where the oil is coming from, at a minimum you need to pull your spark plugs and check them for oil. But with that kind of consumption I'm not sure how you wouldn't have misfire issues.

Pull the hot side charge pipe off and check the turbo and charge pipes for oil.

Pull the intake manifold and see if there is excess oil. (There is always some oil do to our PCV)

Pull the air intake off and check the turbo wheel for excess movement or grinding.