08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Offical: Porous Block Problem Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:10 PM
TR6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadia
don't buy one then lol
I haven't...
Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM
TR6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by occsdude
So i have an 09 build date 09/2008. Ive had the car since it was brand new, it has 67k miles and has recently started exhibiting signs of slow coolant draining with no visible leaks or coolant in the oil. All signs are indicating that my block is failing. Only thing that is keeping me from thinking it is certain is the age and mileage, but i saw an example where some one had 80k miles before it happened.
At no age or miles is this acceptable on ANY car--this indicates a problem. I don't see what age and mileage has to do with it--if you are losing coolant it is going somewhere and there is a problem that should be fixed. The problem might not be bad enough to justify the fix yet (or to even find the problem), but this doesn't just happen because the car is getting old. Your car is newer and has WAY less miles than any of my current vehicles, and none of mine do that...
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I've got money for an ldk, in just waiting for the time bomb to go off. I bet if I went big turbo it would happen sooner than later.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TR6
I haven't...
Perfect no need to worry then

I've got 5k set away for this car alone for an ldk and efr setup when and IF it happens. If not that money will go towards a new car
Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Canadia
Perfect no need to worry then I've got 5k set away for this car alone for an ldk and efr setup when and IF it happens. If not that money will go towards a new car
I'm thinking efr, then motor😄. Efr will probably help the motor swap along.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Well I bought a 09 LNF sedan with 140k on it builddate 10/08. The coolant was a smidge low. when I got it. Like, we are talking maybe a cup if that. Let's see how it goes.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2009 SS LNF with a build date of 10/08 & 82K miles. Low coolant & coolant in the crank case just started Friday 1/22/2017. According to replies to the thread I started for answers to my questions I've got the porous block issue. I have the timing cover off & it sure appears to me that antifreeze is leaking out the water pump so I ordered a new one. I'll update this post if that does in fact fix it. But until then I wanted to post here.

I have read this whole thread & all threads here that show up under "porous block" in a search. I just have to say this... I have never been a GM fan. Until I bought this car I was always a Ford guy & had had a few different imports here & there. I bought this car because I got it extremely cheap with very low miles because it was a rebuilder & I knew the history of it since I knew the owner. I wanted a cheap, fast car with gas mileage. Until now, it has been an extremely reliable car. All cars have some little issues & common problems. But this type of thing is completely unacceptable. The stories of how the dealers & GM "customer service" have treated some of you is ridiculous. If the block happens to be my problem, I'm getting rid of the car & I'll never own anything made by GM again. I can accept some small issues a car may commonly have but this is a pretty big deal. It's something that's expensive to fix & from what I've read GM knows about it but doesn't care since they long ago got the money for it & have walked away.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ghostmechanic
I have a 2009 SS LNF with a build date of 10/08 & 82K miles. Low coolant & coolant in the crank case just started Friday 1/22/2017. According to replies to the thread I started for answers to my questions I've got the porous block issue. I have the timing cover off & it sure appears to me that antifreeze is leaking out the water pump so I ordered a new one. I'll update this post if that does in fact fix it. But until then I wanted to post here.

I have read this whole thread & all threads here that show up under "porous block" in a search. I just have to say this... I have never been a GM fan. Until I bought this car I was always a Ford guy & had had a few different imports here & there. I bought this car because I got it extremely cheap with very low miles because it was a rebuilder & I knew the history of it since I knew the owner. I wanted a cheap, fast car with gas mileage. Until now, it has been an extremely reliable car. All cars have some little issues & common problems. But this type of thing is completely unacceptable. The stories of how the dealers & GM "customer service" have treated some of you is ridiculous. If the block happens to be my problem, I'm getting rid of the car & I'll never own anything made by GM again. I can accept some small issues a car may commonly have but this is a pretty big deal. It's something that's expensive to fix & from what I've read GM knows about it but doesn't care since they long ago got the money for it & have walked away.
You knowingly bought a rebuild. That's your problem. I work in the autobody trade and have seen the **** people do to rebuilt cars. Rebuilds are hack jobs 99% of the time.

I've got almost 100, 000 miles on mine and it's been pretty reliable.

Also people usually don't review positive experiences online. So there's a bias
Old 01-23-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk
You knowingly bought a rebuild. That's your problem. I work in the autobody trade and have seen the **** people do to rebuilt cars. Rebuilds are hack jobs 99% of the time.

ive done some rebuilds, all done 100%. most of the cars have been written off for minor damage or engine damage. where i am cars are written off for such little damage. its also not easy to do rebuilds, there are a number of inspections the cars have to go through and they have really tightened up the rules on it. so not all are crap.

on top of this, being a rebuild has nothing to do with a porous block.

gm did cover the problem under the 5/100 mile warranty, ive heard of special cases where they covered it even after the warranty was up. however the car is more than 8 years old now, you cant expect them to cover it.
The following users liked this post:
ghostmechanic (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 AM

Wtf does it being a rebuilder have ANYTHING to do with a mechanical issue like this? I know exactly what damage it had & who rebuilt it. Nothing that was done to it would affect the engine even slightly. I've owned the car for over 3 years & put 50K of the miles on it. So if it being rebuilt had ANYTHING at all to do with the issue at hand, it would've shown up long ago.

My bias of not liking GM is based on my own experiences from previous cars I've owned & 25+ years of doing auto repairs for other people in my own shop.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
ive done some rebuilds, all done 100%. most of the cars have been written off for minor damage or engine damage. where i am cars are written off for such little damage. its also not easy to do rebuilds, there are a number of inspections the cars have to go through and they have really tightened up the rules on it. so not all are crap.

gm did cover the problem under the 5/100 mile warranty, ive heard of special cases where they covered it even after the warranty was up. however the car is more than 8 years old now, you cant expect them to cover it.
This sort of thing is hit or miss with manufacturers. Sometimes they extend coverage, sometimes no. GM basically said "screw you" to me when I tried to get mine covered, so yes, screw them back.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey

Half his post is complaining about things other than the porous block.

Plus he's about to trade in his broken car to an unknowing dealer.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Half his post is complaining about things other than the porous block.

Plus he's about to trade in his broken car to an unknowing dealer.
Please explain to me where you see this? My post is relevant to the thread. Yours on the other hand is just trolling.

Yes more than likely I do plan to trade the car in. At this point even if it's fixed I might. And you're telling me that you're so morally virtuous that at no time in your life you got rid of a car because it had issues? You'd have to be extremely naive to think I'm the very first person to want to dump a car after a major issue reared its head.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Please explain to me where you see this? My post is relevant to the thread. Yours on the other hand is just trolling.

Yes more than likely I do plan to trade the car in. At this point even if it's fixed I might. And you're telling me that you're so morally virtuous that at no time in your life you got rid of a car because it had issues? You'd have to be extremely naive to think I'm the very first person to want to dump a car after a major issue reared its head.
you spend 2 grand on a down payment for another car, or spend 2 grand to fix the cobalt and have a car with a new(er) engine that's paid off or closer to being paid off. I don't know your financial situation. im just coming from the mentality that id rather be car payment free and have a car with an engine that should be trouble free for at least another 5 years, than trade it in on another car and make payment for 5 years.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by FLASH1970
you spend 2 grand on a down payment for another car, or spend 2 grand to fix the cobalt and have a car with a new(er) engine that's paid off or closer to being paid off. I don't know your financial situation. im just coming from the mentality that id rather be car payment free and have a car with an engine that should be trouble free for at least another 5 years, than trade it in on another car and make payment for 5 years.
That's assuming someone knows how to do an engine swap.

99% of people can't
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
someone posted a link to a "how to" in the thread I made during my situation. at first I followed it, but the swap really wasn't that complicated. and im sure if the person was respectful and asked questions, people on here would shed some light on any issues they were having.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by FLASH1970
someone posted a link to a "how to" in the thread I made during my situation. at first I followed it, but the swap really wasn't that complicated. and im sure if the person was respectful and asked questions, people on here would shed some light on any issues they were having.

I found the swap extremely easy. took me three days in my garage with no lift. Definitely doable for a person who has some mechanical skills.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM

I have never traded a car to a dealer knowing someone would have to fix it. Especially one that needed and engine. But I guess you don't care about the next guy who may be strapped for cash having to fix your issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No manufacturer is immune to problems. You could go back to Ford and enjoy the quality of their Chinese manual transmissions in the Mustang. Or perhaps the faulty PowerShift tranny in the Focus/Fiesta. I'm not defending GM for not stepping up for the porous block issue, but getting hung out to dry isn't unique to just GM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
alchargo. He kept the car and got a hold of an LHU to swap into it. Swap is done, cars making 25psi. His brakes are like new. Hes really happy with the car now.

i have an 09 SS sedan for 95,500 miles now and I have yet to see signs and symptoms of porus block yet. I noticed my coolant dropped last year maybe a cup (only a cup), but nothing else is showing any signs. I am thinking not all LNF engines went through this issue or at least I hope so.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
alchargo. He kept the car and got a hold of an LHU to swap into it. Swap is done, cars making 25psi. His brakes are like new. Hes really happy with the car now.

i have an 09 SS sedan for 95,500 miles now and I have yet to see signs and symptoms of porus block yet. I noticed my coolant dropped last year maybe a cup (only a cup), but nothing else is showing any signs. I am thinking not all LNF engines went through this issue or at least I hope so.
Glad to hear his attitude has changed, even though it I'm sure it wasn't cheap. I also have an '09 SS sedan, with 72k miles. The porous block issue seems to be a roll of the dice. Hopefully luck is on our side!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
My 09 coupe has 104k and it hasn't showed any signs either
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe

I ended up having issues with my sedan motor but I don't think it was porous block. I had 0PSI on cylinder 1 and 150PSI on the rest. My oil was clean and so was my coolant. I haven't tore the motor apart yet. I will one day.. mine has 74k when that happened.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM

Ring land?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Ring land?
I think if it was rings it would have a little bit of compression. I was thinking either a hole in the piston or the valve. It ran and drove but it smoked terribly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Offical: Porous Block Problem Thread