08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

OnStar annoying!!/Disable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
I've been under the assumption that the module is deactivated (reason the air bag deployment didn't do anything), but you can still use it to call them for instances such as renewing and emergencies. I've also been told by GM that you can use it for emergency calls even if it is deactivated (you must initiate the call). If they're at all interested in getting subscription renewals or re-ups on the integrated phone minutes, they have to have it partially on enough to respond to the mirror buttons so you can call and reapply for service.

I've also been told a story of a guy that locked his keys in his car and he called them to unlock the car. When they refused due to him being deactivated, he gave them his CC number to pay for that month and then they did it. Guess if you want to be sure you get help, pray your wallet falls in front of you when you wipe out.
Yes if your subscription isnt current you can call them by pushing the OnStar button, but you wont get the Concierge or Emergency services, you will get the ordering line. Theyll happily take your money and turn it back on so you can use it but when its not active calls dont go to the regular OnStar center.

OnStar also doesnt monitor your car if you dont pay, they legally arent allowed, if you dont have a subscription with them it is against the law and OnStar company policy for them to retrieve any information from your vehicle.

OnStar has its benefits, thats obvious but its not what the thread was about, the thread was how do you disable it. You disable it by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the big whote connector.

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
If you do not suscribe they are not actively monitoring your car for those sensors going off....But you can push the emergency button to contact them, and they will get you assistance.
I dont believe this is accurate either, I am pretty sure any button push of an inactive OnStar will simply connect you to the order center.

Last edited by Maven; 12-07-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys... thats all i needed to know. I really appreciate it!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boosted4dr
If you do not suscribe they are not actively monitoring your car for those sensors going off....But you can push the emergency button to contact them, and they will get you assistance.
Most logical post yet IMO.