08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Questions about injectors, rear diff, trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about injectors, rear diff, trans

Hi guys, sorry for asking what may be a dumb question but things have changed alot since I was racing my balt. Here are a couple questions.

1. What is the big hoopla about opel injectors? What is wrong with are stock injectors?
2. People it sound like are putting in 4.05 gearing in their rear if I understand correctly. Why are they doing that?
3. People changing transmissions. I know if you dump the clutch and abuse the car or something you can do damage. However for autox or road racing we do not do things like that. So is there something wrong with the stock tranny?

Sorry if this is easy but this was not an issue when I purchased my car in 08.

Thanks for your replies.

Best
Spank
Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Spank
Hi guys, sorry for asking what may be a dumb question but things have changed alot since I was racing my balt. Here are a couple questions.

1. What is the big hoopla about opel injectors? What is wrong with are stock injectors?
2. People it sound like are putting in 4.05 gearing in their rear if I understand correctly. Why are they doing that?
3. People changing transmissions. I know if you dump the clutch and abuse the car or something you can do damage. However for autox or road racing we do not do things like that. So is there something wrong with the stock tranny?

Sorry if this is easy but this was not an issue when I purchased my car in 08.

Thanks for your replies.

Best
Spank
Opel injectors are capable of flowing 10% more fuel than the stock ones and currently they are the only injector upgrade for direct injection. Guys want to run e85 now due to being able to run more timing, achieving higher hp, and some swap the intake cam put for a cam with a bigger fuel lobe, and go to the opels, so they can run some kind of e mix with a bigger turbo.
Trans- it is the weak link on high hp cars. They lack bracing and lnfwagonss has also stumbled onto them not having 3rd gear aligned well from the factory. Many have killed 3rd gear and then it ruins the whole trans and bellhousing. He is making braced and aligned/supported trans currently.
Gearing-the higher you go in gear ratio, the easier it is on the trans, and the faster you can accelerate due to reaching rpm quicker. Like putting 4.10's in a camaro that has factory 3.23's. Lnf trans are the weakest due to torque multiplication of the 3.82 gears not being as good as 4.05 or 4.45's, which are great for road track and drag, but not the interstate.
Hope this answers your questions.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks that was great.
It sounds like the the problems are from too much power for the drivetrain. Then injectors is the quest for more power, that again causes the problems.

Hopefully I will stay in the safe zone. Thanks Nove.

By the way, only car to ever outrun my 427 ford fairlane was a 63 chevy nova two with a built 454. Ah, the good ole days.

Best

Spank
Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Rear diff? Didn't know we had rwd cars lol. But what he all said. Also opels help with running e85, and are a lot cheaper than buying new stock injectors. The tranny issue is a few factors. High torque cars will destroy trans, mostly its the quick spool and sudden torque hitting the trans that blows out 3rd, which is the weak link on these f35s. Gm needs too do a better job with their trannys. I have broken 2 trannys already. One with wheel hop and one just the other day cause I'm making a buttload of power on my new setup
Old 07-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
My Nova hasn't hardly moved out of the garage for the 21 years I've owned it. I have lost all motivation at this point to finish it the way I wanted due to having no time. Currently it's got a built 406sb in it with roller cam that's probably around 525hp. Sad that now a days you can build a 2.0 liter to give you the same power as a 6.6.