08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^Dump your POS dealer
Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 AM

your tellin me! id like to dump him in the gutter behind the dealership. elvis sideburn havin ladyboy GM lovin nuthugger
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by sparhawk
Wow, I don't mean to be insulting but some of the people who posted seem to be quite dumb. I mean if your car is making a grating/squealing noise that sounds like something is broken you should get it looked at imedatly. When your brakes wear there are signs to look for or feel, like longer brake pedal travel, lower brake fluid level. When you get to a light squealing noise that is the built in wear indicator, thats when you should think- hey this sounds wrong/bad maybe i should look into this or get it looked at.
As for the uneven brake wear from inner to outter brake pads that is normal, except in extreme amounts, I can see why its higher on cobalts because of the incorperated e-brake inside of the caliper stacked on top of low drag calipers, cause some more brake wear due to the smaller mount of piston return. For rotor scoring its normal, every rotor scores, its only a problem when it causes noise, or you out new pads on scored rotors, this is caused by the resins in the brake pad melting onto the rotor, which is a good thing. For the so called agressive brake pad material it is cermaics, which like to be hot, but when the get hot they can cause increased rotor wear. If you want you can cheap out and get semi-metallic pads, but no dealership will install them because they know that you will come back pissed off because they make more noise than the cermaic pads.
For that TSB that some one mentioned it does not related to the TC, unless you want your dealership to put undersized dust shields on your car at your expense.
If your wondering where I feel that I get the right to rant like this, I have to put up with people like those in this thread who do not understand how vehicle subsystems work, or do not understand the need for regular maintance or inpections. By the way my 08 TC has 22500km and have no abnormal brake noises, and if I did I would have fixed it myself, because I would get paid to because I am a GM tech who has had enough of people bitching about every little thing because they think its broken and dont realize it just might be the way its works, because the GM engineers dont just throw together vehicles, it takes years and millions of dollars to fully develop a car from design to production.
And here is that TSB
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Brakes | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2170217
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-05-23-003B: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields) - (Jul 21, 2008)

Subject: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt (Excludes SS Models)

2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR (Excludes SS Models)

2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the vehicles involved in the model and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-23-003A (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a brake noise and/or pulsation on brake apply. This condition can be more frequent if the customer resides or travels on dirt/gravel roads and usually occurs within 11,300 km (7,000 mi) to 16,000 km (10,000 mi) intervals.

Upon investigation, the technician may find that there is considerable difference between the front brake outer and inner pad thickness.

Cause
This condition may be due dust, dirt, and debris intruding between the inner brake pad and rotor.

Correction
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the brake noise and/or pulsation is coming from the front brakes. If it is determined that the noise is coming from the front brakes and there is a measurable difference between the outer and inner pad thickness, remove the front wheel bearing/hub assembly following published SI procedures, remove the bearing/hub-to-steering knuckle spacer and replace the spacer with a splash shield on each side.

Replace the front brake pads and follow the procedures outlined in Service Bulletin 00-05-22-002J for servicing the disc brake rotors.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Model
Usage

Shield, Front Brake (RH)
HHR

(EXC SS)
All

(EXC JL9)

Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ JL9 (level 3) (296 mm rotor)

(EXC JL4)

Shield, Front Brake (LH)
HHR

(EXC SS)
All

(EXC JL9)

Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ JL9 (level 3) (296 mm rotor)

(EXC JL4)

Shield, Front Brake (RH)
Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ J41 or

JM4 & PFD/PG1 or

JM4 & NZ0/NZ6

(level 0, 1 & 2) 256 and 280 mm rotors)

Shield, Front Brake (LH)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

H9730*
Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields (Inc Refinish Rotors)
2.2 hrs

*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
This is taken directly from the GM service website.
I know you are a tech, but brush up on your reading skills. Uneven brake wear is occurring in EXTREME AMOUNTS, and some cars by 3K miles or under.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by redninja6r
^^^^Dump your POS dealer
That's easy to say. However, I live in rural America, and there are only 2 small Chevrolet dealers remaining within 50 miles. Two dealers 30 miles away are being closed.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even here in the "BIG CITY!!!" of Des Moines your choices are limited. The choices I do have are.... less than helpful.

Originally Posted by Billdayton
That's easy to say. However, I live in rural America, and there are only 2 small Chevrolet dealers remaining within 50 miles. Two dealers 30 miles away are being closed.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM

I went to the stealeriship today to get my brakes looked at and my rear passanger side bushing. They didnt fix ****. my inner pads are worn down and the screeches because it is at the wear mark. he gave some bullshit excuse for the bushings. the only plus was they ordered my recall part for my charge piping. but i have dejon anyways so i dont know how that will work. he wouldnt tell me what they are replacing.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by sparhawk
As for the uneven brake wear from inner to outter brake pads that is normal, except in extreme amounts........For rotor scoring its normal, every rotor scores, its only a problem when it causes noise, or you out new pads on scored rotors
Originally Posted by drewbroo
I know you are a tech, but brush up on your reading skills. Uneven brake wear is occurring in EXTREME AMOUNTS, and some cars by 3K miles or under.
Amen to that.. I need to take a picture (if I can find the rear pads still) that I took off to replace with the Hawk pads Ive got now. Scoring on the rotors so bad they could not be turned, inner brake pads on both sides a hair away from metal, outer brake pads still 60% left.. You want to tell me thats normal? ha. In addition, there is casting flash on the calipers that has left a huge score ring on the inside of the rotor (outside of where the pads ride). GM would not cover it under warranty... I noticed the wear at 17k miles and thanks to the number of people that have had this issue it wasn't until about a month or so ago that I was able to source new rotors to replace these - GM was backordered nationally. NOT NORMAL. I wasn't able to drive my car for more than a month while I found the replacement parts.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by IsItFast?
Amen to that.. I need to take a picture (if I can find the rear pads still) that I took off to replace with the Hawk pads Ive got now. Scoring on the rotors so bad they could not be turned, inner brake pads on both sides a hair away from metal, outer brake pads still 60% left.. You want to tell me thats normal? ha. In addition, there is casting flash on the calipers that has left a huge score ring on the inside of the rotor (outside of where the pads ride). GM would not cover it under warranty... I noticed the wear at 17k miles and thanks to the number of people that have had this issue it wasn't until about a month or so ago that I was able to source new rotors to replace these - GM was backordered nationally. NOT NORMAL. I wasn't able to drive my car for more than a month while I found the replacement parts.
i see that you went to hawk pads. what did you do about the rotars also. what kind of rotars did you use.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Sparhawks reference to a bulletin is for NON SS's and im pretty sure this is under a SS thread..... just my 2 cents
Old 09-18-2009, 03:56 PM

At the dealer right now to get my oil changed/tires rotated. I'm also having them look at my rear brakes. Hopefully they don't screw me, they are sqeeling and the car only has 4500 miles, and I don't drive it like a d-bag. Regardless of the outcome, I am complaining on the NHTSA website. 4500 miles and rear brake noise/ wear is just ridiculous.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my rear brakes are finally making some noise so I'll be heading to the dealer to have them checked. The rear rotors are torn up pretty bad and I'm guessing the inner pads are just about gone. If it would stop raining I'd pull the wheel off and look. The outer pads look fine.

Just rolled over 22k miles too.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

mine are still making noise with new pads. No scoring though. Sounds like the inside piston doesn't fully decompress.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 AM

the form won't send for me..
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM

I had mine looked at this morning. Inner and outer pads are both over 50% left. But the rotors and pads are torn up bad.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Took mine in yesterday with Tofu. They told me I was almost metal on metel, but the calipers on both of ours looked like they were working properly. They machined his rotors and he was all set (they looked pretty nice after that). I gave them the rotors and pads (Slotted R1Concept rotors/Hawk HPS pads) I bought to put on instead while I was there. (I like the new look a lot btw )

We'll see if his and/or mine continue to score.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

F these calipers, can we use anything else, SAAB or Pontiac?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE
F these calipers, can we use anything else, SAAB or Pontiac?
They are the same as the saab or pontiac rear brakes. THey should have just done brembo rears
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM

done my rear rotors are messed up cause of this
Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM

i know the pads will work, but what about mounting the calipers... Aftermarket solstice rear calipers are ony like 50 bucks a wheel.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 AM

Done
Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Exclamation Second Complaint

Same book, chapter two: At 4600 miles, I paid the dealer to turn my rear rotors. Subsequently, CAC sent me a letter of credit for $100 on my next service. Now, at 7500 miles, the rotors are loking bad again. I argued with the service manager, and asked him if I should have to have rear brake work done every 3-4000 miles. He finally agreed to warranty the pads & rotors "one time, for customer good will". I am of the opinion that the issue is lack of lubrication in the appropriate places. I considered just doing it myself, but that won't get GM's attention.

I will probably hear later that rotors and/or pads are on backorder.

I filed a complaint, #10278491 at 4600 miles, and another today. Just because the dealer is fixing it this time doesn't eliminate the problem for everybody else.

By the way, there are now 73 complaints on the NHSTA site, not including mine, or any others filed today.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette for sale, 09 Cobalt SS

Last edited by Billdayton; 09-30-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wanted to post up and update:

I swapped my rotors and pads for aftermarket ones and the problem seems to have subsided. So far this roots out calipers as a cause of the issue.

I'll post up if something changes.

On another note though: I wonder if there's a compatible rear two-piston Brembo swap we could do or something...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
I had mine looked at this morning. Inner and outer pads are both over 50% left. But the rotors and pads are torn up bad.
Just an update for mine. New rotors and pads came in this week. Had them installed today under warranty. Lets see if they last 22k miles like the 1st set.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM

filed my complaint..10286185
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by drewbroo
mine are still making noise with new pads. No scoring though. Sounds like the inside piston doesn't fully decompress.
ya i just redid my brake and my piston got stuck out and i could not get it to go back in no matter how many times i turned it....then i just unthreaded it fully and put it back on and it went down all the way no noise at all. pita tho seems like thats what causes them to go so fast. i just upgraded to slotted and hawk pads

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL