08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamrhead
My '09 SS/TC (7,500 miles) goes in for state inspection/emissions on Jan 4th, so today I decided to take another look at the rear brakes (fronts are in great shape).

Well, the inside of the rear brake rotor is grooved deeply from the brake caliper coming in contact with it. Outside of the rotor is fine.

Is this because the caliper pins/slides need to be lubed, or is it simply because the brake caliper was cast wrong? There is a 'knob' on the caliper(at the top/inside) that is digging into the rotor. If I would grind this off it would allow the brake pad to do its job, and would have no adverse affects on the caliper itself.

I'm anxious to see how my Chevy dealer is going to take care of this. I fully expect it to be covered under the 3/36, including new rotors.
Got my car fixed this week - Everything was covered under warranty.

Ended up with a new Rotor and Caliper on the left rear side. The right side rotor wasn't as bad so they just turned it (Right rear caliper was OK), and new rear brake pads.

Now the car stops like it's supposed to.

Let's see how long it lasts.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Has anyone actually tried contacting gm about this? my car is going in next week for a new headlight because of moisture and I asked them to look at the rear brakes, partially because i am to lazy to do it myself and was wondering if someone called corporate gm to complain....
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Chevrolet Action Center

Originally Posted by 208REV
Has anyone actually tried contacting gm about this? my car is going in next week for a new headlight because of moisture and I asked them to look at the rear brakes, partially because i am to lazy to do it myself and was wondering if someone called corporate gm to complain....
When I had severe grooving on my inner rotors at 4600 miles, the dealer wanted to turn the rotors at my cost ($90 + tax). I then called Chevrolet Action Center (the number is in your owners manual). They advised me to pay for the rotors to be turned. A few days later, they called back and asked if I had that done (I did). Then they sent me a letter workth $100 on my next service. At 8000 miles, I took the car back to the dealer, and they warrantied new pads & rotors, and lubed the slide pins. Now, at 12000 miles, the rotors still look new, inside & out.

It's easy to check for the grooves. If you have the stock wheels, you can reach through and feel the inner rotor. With some aftermarket wheels, you will have to lay down behind the wheels to gain accesss. Feel for a groove about 1/4 -1/2" in from the outer edge of the rotor. There is an acceptable depth, per GM, but if you have a groove, bring it to their attention, anyway.

I just checked the NHSTA site, and there are 41 complaints on the 08 Cobalt SS, and 69 on the 09s. This is the highest number on any late model Chevrolet, a model with very limited production (4600?).

This is the only way to "force" a recall from the NHSTA. I have an '04 Jeep that had repeated pulsing brakes. I had then turned twice, and then after I was off warranty, they had a recall. I paid for the recall work, which was new pads & rotors.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette (For Sale), 09 Cobalt SS, G8t, Performance display, no sunroof.

Last edited by Billdayton; 01-09-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Now there should be 42 complaints. I just looked at the rear rotors on my car and almost had a heart attack. They're so deeply scored it's ridiculous. The car only has 7800 miles on it!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Done
Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

I had that problem too.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 PM

For the last week or so, almost everytime i'm backing out of the garage (i always park with the e-brake & in gear) I get a horrible noise from the rear brakes (kinda sounds like the calipers aren't retracting in enough and the brakes are lightly rubbing the rotars).

Also, got a nasty squeak from the rear when lightly applying the brakes and i checked for scoring on the rotars (no deep gooves). Only 1800km on the car right now
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Rear Brakes

Done Deal

2009 Black Cobalt SS Sedan, Tint, LSD, GM Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade, GM Sport Pedals, Lloyd SS Floor mats F&R, Debadged, SS Underhood Insulator. 3,500 miles
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Billdayton
Did the paperwork indicate that they lubed the caliper slide pins?

I had my pads & rotors replaced and slide pins lubed at 8000 miles. Now at 12000 miles, the rotors still look new. The shop manager did say the parts numbers were changed, so maybe that is significant.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette (FS), 09 Cobalt SS
I asked them about 85 times to lube the slide pins. The manager told me they would do it. It's not written into details what they exactly did, but hey. I'll probably check them myself ASAP.

Can't really trust these guys, eh.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM

OK...I have the exact same problem!!!

I went to my dealership the other week because my parking brake wasn't holding. I just figured a cable was broken so I didn't do anything about it for 2 weeks.

Anyway, when I brought my car to the dealership last week, they told me I needed new rear brake pads and rotors. Apparently it was metal on metal but at no time did my brakes ever make a grinding noise nor did I hear anything that would lead me to believe my brakes were going. I was really surprised because usually it's the front brakes that go first and I only have about 20,000 clicks (approx 12,500 miles) on them!!! Thankfully I have an excellent dealership and won't have to pay anything out of pocket. I'm still concerned though because they told me the next time, it will be out of pocket and getting a brake job every 20,000 clicks seems ridiculous to me.

Anyway, the parts are on order but my concern is with my front brakes. The dealership says they are fine but I am worried that they've been worn down quite a bit considering they do all the work as I have absolutely no rear brakes. Should I be concerned about the front brakes??
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM

I got the screnging noise already at 1600 miles. Drives me insane when I stop little slowly. WTF? Are the rotors bad? Had the car since November 23, 2009. I never had this problem with my other 07 Cobalt SS/SC. Had the OEM brakes, rotors, calipers with no issues unlike this. I took it to the dealer they found nothing. Going to make round 2 because it sounds like bullshit. I see no deep grooves yet. Just the screaming noise as I stop slowly.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM

Please do not mix up the Ťnormalť squeak from the brake dust and the actual premature wear
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Mine has 1.2k miles on it. I asked youall about this problem before I got the car. Sure enough, got the groove and it squeeks pretty loud when stopping. Also when backing out of my inclined driveway it sounds pretty gross. Even feels like it is grabbing a bit. I was going to do the grease thing as soon as I bought the car but you know how it goes. Time slips away. So now Im not going to do anything to them. Just wait till I have to get new ones and then do it if they dont. I am submitting my complaint now.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by efactor
I got the screnging noise already at 1600 miles. Drives me insane when I stop little slowly. WTF? Are the rotors bad? Had the car since November 23, 2009. I never had this problem with my other 07 Cobalt SS/SC. Had the OEM brakes, rotors, calipers with no issues unlike this. I took it to the dealer they found nothing. Going to make round 2 because it sounds like bullshit. I see no deep grooves yet. Just the screaming noise as I stop slowly.
Its cause its cold outside. Bet it stops if you get the brakes warmed up.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Yeah, I asked my Dad about it because he was a son of a mechanic. The cermanic brakes is the reason why it does that in the cold weather or little bit of dirt, which would make sense. Just get paranoid over nothing. My wheels are not grabbing yet. So it must be the time of the season.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM

If anyone is looking for Brand New GM Rear Rotors I am selling a pair for cheap.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM

replaced mine about 3k ago because they were done. also got hawk pads and squeaking stopped
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM

I want a set of drilled and slotted front and rear rotors, preferably fully floating.... if not... then just drilled and slotted ones are good.. but I would like good quality ones. Anyone know where I can buy a set?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM

done
Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Billdayton
It's easy to check for the grooves. If you have the stock wheels, you can reach through and feel the inner rotor. With some aftermarket wheels, you will have to lay down behind the wheels to gain accesss. Feel for a groove about 1/4 -1/2" in from the outer edge of the rotor. There is an acceptable depth, per GM, but if you have a groove, bring it to their attention, anyway.
This is what's got me stumped. I caught my brakes in time when the slide pins were binding and had the dealership address it before I completely roasted my inbound pad and killed myself in the process. Brake service was performed, everything was cleaned up and lubricated and my stock pads are fine. The rotors were resurfaced at 17,100km.

Over the weekend I had to make a hard stop; prior to the drive the inbound rotor was smooth, after the hard stop (and I mean hard stop) I have a groove on both sides about 1 inch in from the outside of the rotor on both sides on the inbound side. GM can say it's normal all they want; the fact they're almost identical distances IN from the outside of the rotor is not coincidence, something is eating into the rotors hard and it's beyond me since the pads were cleaned up, chamfered, etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM

So Far with new R1Concept Rotors and hawk Pads, my rears are still smooth
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM

18,500 miles rotors are toast -

If they don't warranty it which I am doubting they will I will be filing a complaint .
Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM

anyone have any pictures of the R1 rotors on your car... drilled and slotted?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM

So after going to the dealer with 18k , I got the shaft, They took a look at it and While waiting for the place to give me a ride back to my Tahoe I hear the guy talking about a "race pipe" lol then After I get back to the dealer I bring them mountains of paperwork with other scenarios, The service manager said

"The only way that the inner pad could be worn to bare metal is if you left the emergency brake on" So basically he accused me of driving with my E brake on, Then I asked him Oh yeah have you seen this on any other cars? He replys yeah Mind you this guys breath smells like complete rotting feces coffee pot and cigarette butts he thinks he knows everything about cars and he proceeds to tell me he has seen it on a Saturn ION so I replied so another Delta platform , he paused for a second and said oh yeah I guess so . Then I get to the dealer with my mountains of paper work with peoples experiences to try and get GM to recognize this is BS and they need to issue more service bulletins , I said to him you need to double check your Service bulletins for caliper side pins not being lubed ever think that the pads could be sticking due to that or the E brake cables are out of line , he said they checked all of that BS . Not only that he starts telling me what if I was drifting LOL I laughed at him and said yeah in a FWD car do it daily . Complete IDIOTS that came out the service managers hole . Doesn't benefit me that my stock Conti's look like slicks I guess . Also just for fun the guy after he calls me back says You're the second owner right ? After he asks about a charge pipe recall He sees the car was purchased on September of 2008 I told him the recall didn't apply to me because I had the car and the problem before the recall and a fix was released ( 6 months+ later) and that I had after market stuff, He was so confused it was like he was on another planet, seriously I never seen such retardation in one room .

He offered me If I wanted to get new Pads and rotors after market or not he would install em for free and If I wanted new pads he would resurface the rotors and install the pads for free ..

Driving with the E brake on , Drifting . LOL WOW .. Quality control > GM

So their you all have it you must ALL drive with your e brakes on yup !
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
So their you all have it you must ALL drive with your e brakes on yup !
I KNEW I was forgetting to do something when I got in the car..."what's this stupid handle for, it's always in my way of shifting some ******* should have installed this in a down position."...what a bunch of asshats. It IS due to the sliders being bone dry, perhaps Mr Service Manager needs to read up on how callipers work before opening his mouth.

When mine went in the shop foreman and service manager went out in the car and knew right away they were seized; they're been very responsive but there's still something fishy about the stock pads.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL