08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
How are the rear brakes used less than the fronts?? When you apply the service brakes, both front and rear slow the vehicle at the same time. The rear brakes are often proportioned to provide more braking on newer vehicles to help even out front to rear wear.

Nah he's partially right. The rear breaks may seem to be proportionately balanced for braking but thats not really the case. GM just slapped on some normal brakes in the rear and the brembo's in the front. Most cars have what we have on the rears on all four wheels.

90% braking is still being done by the front, thats why GM only opted to put the brembos on the front cause it would be pointless to put them on the rear, plus its cheaper to make and sell. If GM had put the brembos on the rear as well, you can bet every one who bought a SS in 08' and up would have spent an additional $2500-$3000.

The real fact is, the rear brakes last up to 60k- 70k miles on almost every car that has a rear disc setup. My last car never had the need to replace the rear rotors or pads until 65k miles when the e-brake siezed the caliper somehow, and I was an idiot and drove around with the siezed thing.

Here's a good test, go 60 mph and slam on the brakes measure the stopping distance. Now go 60 mph and pull the e-brake measure the stopping distance. you'll notice somethings not proportional there in stopping power. If thats the case then why would the rear pads wear faster than the fronts if all the major stopping power is being done by the front rotors. Only way this could be possible is that the rear pads are made with a softer material so that it would wear evenly; we know thats not true.

This has been a CudaJoe moment. Thank you.

Originally Posted by motogp34
THX, went to the R1 website and they only list up to the 07 model ?
PM the R1concepts vendor. you will certainly find his name under their vendor thread. He will give you his paypal account or a phone number to call.

Last edited by CudaJoe; 04-22-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the rear brembos off the new camaro fit the SS/TC ?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM

just filed mine
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by motogp34
Would the rear brembos off the new camaro fit the SS/TC ?
My guess is that no, they wont fit. Not without significant modification. I'm guessing the rotor diameter on the camaro is different from the cobalt, and probably the mounting location too.

Adding brembos to the back won't drastically improve stopping performance (as said before, most of the stopping force comes from your front brakes). Also, you don't want to increase the rear braking w/out increasing the fronts. Brake systems are designed so that the front brakes will lock up before the rear brakes. If you get better rear brakes and they end up locking up before the front brakes you could lose control of the vehicle. I guess ABS would probably take care of this, but still, I don't think you'd see much benefit.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:53 PM

considering the SS Camaro is having its own troubles with Brembos, why would you swap them out anyway, lol
Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM

done.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM

help

i have 06 cobalt ss 2.4L other day i noticed a grinding noise for my brakes what going on
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koz
Adding brembos to the back won't drastically improve stopping performance (as said before, most of the stopping force comes from your front brakes). Also, you don't want to increase the rear braking w/out increasing the fronts. Brake systems are designed so that the front brakes will lock up before the rear brakes. If you get better rear brakes and they end up locking up before the front brakes you could lose control of the vehicle. I guess ABS would probably take care of this, but still, I don't think you'd see much benefit.
Brake size/grip difference is what a proportioner valve is for, and we've already got one on our current braking setup. This won't be a huge problem to overcome. The problems are the rear brackets and keeping an operational E-brake.

It's the ease of changing the pads that is one of the biggest advantages of the Brembo setup. If you're at the track, you can literally tap out two pins or pull back a door (depends on caliper style), pull the old ones out, push out the pistons, slide the new pads in, and you're ready to keep going. There are videos out there of people pulling off a brake change with them in a minute or two depending on caliper style.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Little update...

Dropped my SS off at the dealer yesterday for 2 issues:
1) Sunroof doesn't close all the way (no leaks though) which they said before my roof was 'warped."
2) Brake issue.

Was provided a rental from enterprise (Pontiac G6 sedan, FYI...)

On the brake issue, apparently they communicated with GM TAC, and the dealer ordered:
New calipers
New parking brake cable(s)
New pads
Possible new rotors - waiting to hear tomorrow. This dealer already cut them once, and they are scored/grooved again.

'Course, we all know this will probably NOT solve the recurring issue, just letting you all know...

On the sunroof, still waiting to hear.
My car is 13mos old, has 109xx miles, and looks like it's two weeks old - not even door dings, so they can't come back and say it's uncared for. Also, where the warping is, basically AROUND the sunroof opening, there's no "hit marks" where you could tell it was hit with force. No scratches, dimples, nothing... FYI, pretty much everywhere there's opening, curves, or strange cuts for the sheetmetal shaping, there's some degree of warping...

I'll update as I receive them...
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonicman4458
i have 06 cobalt ss 2.4L other day i noticed a grinding noise for my brakes what going on
Either inspect the car yourself or get it checked out. How do you expect anyone to diagnose if from here with that vague of a question??

Grinding is usually a result of 1 or more pad backing plates touching the rotor, meaning they are completely worn out and need to be replaced. But there is no way to know without actually looking at the brake system to see whats going on.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

have any of you called GM on the matter?

because I took my car into the dealer with 24,000 miles on it because of uneven wear(front pads still luck GREAT, in theory they should have wore out long before the rear pads)... dealer told me "brakes aren't covered by warranty"

ok, so I call GM's 1800 number... talk to some nice lady, explain to her the situation... she 3-way calls my dealer, and relays what I said about the rear brakes wearing out a lot quicker than the front and that isn't normal... the tech agrees with me on the phone... I explain that if the front pads were worn out, i'd chalk it up as my driving habits and would not be making this call... long story short, I just got all new brakes and rotors all around covered under warranty...

call GM people

got to say, a lot more than I expected and I was considering going away from GM after this car, but that pretty much sealed the deal for me... don't deal with your dealer, they're going to give you that run around, go over their heads
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM

After 1 GM dealer who wouldn't even look at my brakes to see the uneven wear for warranty.
I took it to other dealer and they said no problem and replaced pads and rotors.
Went back to the other dealer and said i`am never coming back here again for service, after being there many times in the past...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
have any of you called GM on the matter?
I called GM and yes they were helpful, but TBH even if they were covered under warranty the grooving/uneven wear will continue to be an issue with the rears. I took a look at my g/f's front rotors on her Aveo (and my friend's Malibu at work) and all have grooving on the rotors and my friend's had to do 2 brake jobs on his Malibu in 50,000km so it's not just us with the problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM

I dropped my car off at reedman in bucks county PA... I had bought the r1 rotors and hawk pads in advance in my trunk - was ready to argue to have them install them for free at least... They surprised me by telling me that gm updated the roters and pads to fix this problem and they would fix it for free.

Let's see how well they last after another 12k miles! I guess I will save my r1/hawks until my warranty is up....
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10328580

I dropped off my car this morning at the dealer, so we will see if they try to charge me. Only have 21k miles on my 08 SS/TC

Edit: Wow I can't believe that the dealer told me it wasn't covered under my warranty, I have a call into Chevrolet Customer Service to try and help with this matter. The lady on the phone was very helpful but the Dealership's service dept was closed from 12-1 for lunch so looks like we will pick back up then....

Last edited by Jbird34; 05-03-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM

I just got back from taking my car to the dealership for an oil change (my first mistakes) they then told me my rear brakes were completly worn down to the metal after 10,000 miles. the dealer told ME that I must have been driving around with my e brake on at high speeds for an extended period of time. Now there telling me i gotta replace my pads and rotor thats not covered by warranty. Pretty much bs, just finished posting my complaint.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM

We'll see how my luck goes... I have an appt. for 7 a.m. of Friday at my dealer for my rear brakes, getting the rear rotors lathed and slider pins lubed, hopefully new pads... 11,000 miles and they look like they've been to hell and back.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Well I just got off the phone with the District Rep for my area and I was told that my issue would not be covered because the rear pads aren't covered under my warranty even though the front pads are fine. This is the last chevrolet I will buy and I will tell anyone who will listen that Chevy doesn't care about their customers and just want to SCREW everyone over!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
lolz, i just got back from my dealer for an estimate on some bumper damage from a rear end collision by some idiot over the weekend.

I mentioned that I had to replace the rotors and pads and that the brakes on this car were horrible from factory. His reply was "Its most likely these powerful engines that are causing the brake wear."

I said" haha, I doubt that."

what a joke. rofl.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jbird34
Well I just got off the phone with the District Rep for my area and I was told that my issue would not be covered because the rear pads aren't covered under my warranty even though the front pads are fine. This is the last chevrolet I will buy and I will tell anyone who will listen that Chevy doesn't care about their customers and just want to SCREW everyone over!
Wow. Seriously??

You people are ridiculous. They are BRAKE PADS. You act like your engine blew up!!

Go buy a Honda, and when the rear brakes are gone at 15K miles (extremely common) why don't you ask them to replace them as well?? They will tell you the same damn thing, not covered.

Buy some new pads for $40, lubricated the slide pins with ceramic brake grease, and call it a day.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM

its amazing the results you get when you send in your girlfriend with the car, second set of rotors and pads due to the inner pad wearing into the rotor just got covered. both times no grease on the pins. far as i'm concerned they can keep replacing them for free, one day if i ever drive the ss i'll do something to it. its amazing what a nice rack can do for her, damn tech's even offered to wash it to keep her there longer.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by qr25det
its amazing the results you get when you send in your girlfriend with the car, second set of rotors and pads due to the inner pad wearing into the rotor just got covered. both times no grease on the pins. far as i'm concerned they can keep replacing them for free, one day if i ever drive the ss i'll do something to it. its amazing what a nice rack can do for her, damn tech's even offered to wash it to keep her there longer.
Thats called cheating
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 AM

i was told as good as Hawk pads are, they eat rotors ???
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Wow. Seriously??

You people are ridiculous. They are BRAKE PADS. You act like your engine blew up!!

Go buy a Honda, and when the rear brakes are gone at 15K miles (extremely common) why don't you ask them to replace them as well?? They will tell you the same damn thing, not covered.

Buy some new pads for $40, lubricated the slide pins with ceramic brake grease, and call it a day.

YES SERIOUSLY,

How about they lube the damn slide pins at the factory and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I owned a Honda and a Hyundai and NEVER had brake problems. So while you are up there on your high horse don't act like you know me or my situation. Its people like you that are the reason GM won't fix this ****, I shouldn't have to lube the pins on a brand new car
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jbird34
YES SERIOUSLY, I shouldn't have to lube the pins on a brand new car
Amen brother!

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL