08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Caliper Won't Compress

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Caliper Won't Compress

I was able to get the driver's side screwed back in pretty easily, but I am unable to get the passenger side back in. I have been pushing in pretty hard while turning Clockwise, and the piston spins fine, but it will not retract. Some people have said to remove the cap from the reservoir but then others say don't. I am not about to open the bleeder screw if I don't have to because I really don't want to bleed the brakes (that, and I really don't know how to all that well) Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the cap off. Just make sure it won't overflow.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Caliper may be frozen.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:23 PM

After coming inside to research the issue, and cool off, I realized I just had to call out my buddy Hercules on the caliper.... taking the cap off would have probably helped, but I was too afraid of causing another issue....
Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 PM

do you have the tool to rotate the piston and compress it at the same time?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
Haha! i was just gonna post that cause i did the same thing and i realized it turned
Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
I had the tool but it was the wrong one. I used a pair of needle nose pliers.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 PM

I had to use a caliper compressor and channel locks to get my driver side caliper to compress lol. Crack the bleeder to make it easier on ya.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

My rear calipers were a bitch to compress .... Luckily my clamp is shaped like a brake pad so I could catch the piston on one side and turn it with some needle nosed. I turned and pushed for half an hour trying to do it by hand ..... It wasn't going anywhere.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM

In all my years of working on cars I've never taken the cap off too push the pistons in. At most if it won't move in you can loosen the bleeder screw to find out of it's the hose or caliper that's bad.

On a side note quite a few of the cars out have one piston that twists in the opposite direction as the other side.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14
I use needle noses as well. Had a friend hold the caliper as I pushed with all my might. Once the piston moves in a little its all good from there. Its that first 1/4" that kills you
Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14

Here is the right tool...uses 3/8 " drive:

Schley Products, Inc , 67380 3/8 In Dr Brake Caliper Tool Adapter - Mazda Mini Volvo

This new 3/8” brake caliper adapter has been specially designed to work with other brake caliper tools available on the market.
This new adapter can be used for Mazda, BMW, Mini Cooper & Volvo vehicles.
These vehicles have smaller brake pistons than other vehicles.
In operation, the tool makes clearance for new, thicker brake pads by rotating the brake piston back into the caliper until the piston is bottomed.
Rotating the piston is required on most disc brake calipers which are also used as emergency brakes.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 09SS
In all my years of working on cars I've never taken the cap off too push the pistons in. At most if it won't move in you can loosen the bleeder screw to find out of it's the hose or caliper that's bad.

On a side note quite a few of the cars out have one piston that twists in the opposite direction as the other side.
Agreed 100%. You never ever have to take the cap off the master. The brake system is sealed, and theres no air in it. Taking the cap off would do NOTHING. And also, to all the guys out there who love to add brake fluid when they see a little below the line, DONT ADD ANY BRAKE FLUID. Why? As the pads wear, the pistions are moved outwards thus causing the brake fluid level to drop its completely normal. If you add fluid, your going to **** off the next guy who has to clean up the mess of brake fluid when they do the brake job. You should never have to add brake fluid. If you see it really really low, you have a leak somewhere. If you have a leak whatever you do never let the master run dry.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM

These calipers are a PITA to compress! It can be done without the tool shown above, but when I did it it took 2 of us at my shop. A guy I work with kept pressure on the piston with a pipe wrench, and I turned it using needle now pliers with each end in one of the two holes in the piston. The tool shown above is definitely your best bet, but I had trouble finding one that fit our pistons, so I just did it by hand.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 AM

My local autoparts store hade a universal tool,kinda looks like the hellraiser cube. I took the cap off and removed a bit of fluid , but I was going to be installing one man bleeders and bleeding all the lines anyway.My fluid was burnt and had a little water in it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cantdrv55
My local autoparts store hade a universal tool,kinda looks like the hellraiser cube. I took the cap off and removed a bit of fluid , but I was going to be installing one man bleeders and bleeding all the lines anyway.My fluid was burnt and had a little water in it.
Those won't fit...this is the only NON KIT piece (I'm aware of) that will fit.

Last edited by ronn; 05-31-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
^^ yeah, I bought the universal tool to then realized it didn't work for me... the closest pins were still too far apart.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cubes suck. You can use them, but you'll have to dremel it first. I used a cube the first time, and dremeled off 2 of the pins, and ground down the remaining 2 to get to the right space and size.

The tool Ronn posted is a little better, but still not great. This is what you really want:

18 Piece Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit

edit: the reason this is THE tool to get is because it actually braces against the other side of the caliper. You don't have to do any of the pushing. All you do is spin.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM

That is a good tool set, but it took 10 days for mine to arrive.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM

I used a set of snap ring pliers to turn in my passenger rear and it was a pita after all the turning it went in a lot then just stopped.. I figured maybe that's as far as it would go, but it wont fit around the brake pads. I still need over 1/2" and it went no further. I Turned it counter clockwise and it came back out I was thinking maybe it would loosen and go all the way in. Instead it came out and will not go back in no matter what I do. It turns and goes in like 1/4" and then binds up and goes nowhere not even a c clamp does anything.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joezombies
I used a set of snap ring pliers to turn in my passenger rear and it was a pita after all the turning it went in a lot then just stopped.. I figured maybe that's as far as it would go, but it wont fit around the brake pads. I still need over 1/2" and it went no further. I Turned it counter clockwise and it came back out I was thinking maybe it would loosen and go all the way in. Instead it came out and will not go back in no matter what I do. It turns and goes in like 1/4" and then binds up and goes nowhere not even a c clamp does anything.
This is why I'll never do rear brakes of a car with turn in pistons with anything other than the proper tool. And I don't mean the crappy little cube thing.

18 Piece Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some cars with ABS advise not compress the caliper without the bleeder screw cracked because you don't want to force crud that settled in the caliper back into the tiny orifices of the ABS unit. The tiny orifices are also what makes the caliper a PITA to compress. I don't think its necessary on our cars...well the procedure doesn't mention it.

And as far as taking the cap off... when the pads ware the reservoir drops... idk about you but i always add more fluid when it drops so when its time to change pads there is a good chance you might have more fluid in the system than what can be contained in the reservoir.

The procedure actually tells you to remove fluid from the reservoir its full before starting.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by phatnackySS
Some cars with ABS advise not compress the caliper without the bleeder screw cracked because you don't want to force crud that settled in the caliper back into the tiny orifices of the ABS unit. The tiny orifices are also what makes the caliper a PITA to compress. I don't think its necessary on our cars...well the procedure doesn't mention it.

And as far as taking the cap off... when the pads ware the reservoir drops... idk about you but i always add more fluid when it drops so when its time to change pads there is a good chance you might have more fluid in the system than what can be contained in the reservoir.

The procedure actually tells you to remove fluid from the reservoir its full before starting.
Do you have a copy of the procedure by chance?
This is the official GM procedure?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
... old post...

Last edited by CudaJoe; 06-12-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 AM

Yip. My question still stands though, if they ever feel come back to answer it, or anyone else for that matter.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Won't Compress