08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Recommendations for mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Man
No, that's not correct concerning the K&N. That's an invalid blanket statement and plenty of data on this very forum to show otherwise. Stop with your SHO, it's irrelevant to this discussion. It's a completely different engine/setup/controller.

I'm very familiar with what E30 can do. Again, your SHO is irrelevant to this discussion. Just because someone was able to squeeze out 25-26 degrees of timing on ethanol, doesn't mean you're going to realize anything from it, aside from too much cylinder pressure. Ringlands? Pfft... Who needs those? Not only that but because it works on your TT V6, it must somehow work like magic on a turbocharged I4, right?

Has nothing to do with forcing me to run anything nor would I be ignorant enough to want to. It's a recipe for disaster and so is your statement that you "found a sweet spot".
Agreed. I've also argued with this guy in the past about the K&N intake and the hot intake air temps.. He says he has runs on the 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile showing high IATs. I have never seen high IATs during acceleration. The IATs drop considerably when the cars in motion. Of course the IATs are higher when the cars idling. Ive watched the temps between the factory intake and the K&N and really its about a 60*F difference at worst idling. Not game ending temperatures.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltssdude420
Id go with a Full zzp package if I was in your position. Catless downpipe catback exhaust with resonator delete K&N intake and charge pipes. then of course a tune. HP tuners seems to be the easier option unless you have access to a dyno.
cold air intake or short ram intake.some people say no intake is needed and some people say it is. if so what kind.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
cold air intake or short ram intake.some people say no intake is needed and some people say it is. If so what kind.
k&n sri
Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Honestly It depends on how much you want to spend. These cars aren’t worth that much now, so modding them has to be a labor of love for them. You will gain very little between spending $45 on a drop in k&n filter, over a full cai or short ram that costs $200. If you want to be practical then get the drop in. If you want looks or more turbo noises plus about 3-4hp then go the other route. If you go cold air make sure you get a hydroshield to keep from sucking water when it’s raining heavy.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Honestly It depends on how much you want to spend. These cars aren’t worth that much now, so modding them has to be a labor of love for them. You will gain very little between spending $45 on a drop in k&n filter, over a full cai or short ram that costs $200. If you want to be practical then get the drop in. If you want looks or more turbo noises plus about 3-4hp then go the other route. If you go cold air make sure you get a hydroshield to keep from sucking water when it’s raining heavy.
This is spot on.

I second the hydroshield, i have the zzp intake (fits like ass) the filter is in the fender well, after rains it would start hard and want to die, installed a hydroshield and the issue was gone.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
This is spot on.

I second the hydroshield, i have the zzp intake (fits like ass) the filter is in the fender well, after rains it would start hard and want to die, installed a hydroshield and the issue was gone.
is their any negatives to a short ram intake?

Sr intake
catback
downpipe
charge pipes

does this sohnd good to get a tune on 91 for these mods ?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamBomb
is their any negatives to a short ram intake?

Sr intake
catback
downpipe
charge pipes

does this sohnd good to get a tune on 91 for these mods ?
no negatives to a short ram. On a naturally aspirated car, a short ram will take in hot air but since we have intercoolers on our car, the hotter temps should go back to ambient or at least close too.

I prefer the SRI over a CAI on a turbo car.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cudajoe
no negatives to a short ram. On a naturally aspirated car, a short ram will take in hot air but since we have intercoolers on our car, the hotter temps should go back to ambient or at least close too.

I prefer the sri over a cai on a turbo car.
this!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamBomb
cold air intake or short ram intake.some people say no intake is needed and some people say it is. if so what kind.
Ive got the cai which sits under the passenger headlight and gets cold air like it’s supposed to. The short ram is in the engine bay with a heat shield basically just getting recirculating air under the hood. Unless your looking to be super precise with your iat or other air and power measurements it shouldn’t matter which one you get in my opinion. The SRI does look pretty dope though...