08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Shifter problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter problems.

Shifter feels loose since Saturday.

When in gear the shifter has a lot of play in a North-South or Up and down direction but barely E-W (side to side) if that makes sense.

It does not pop out of gear and I am still able to drive the car except for the sloppy feeling of the shifter.

What broke? I took to the dealer and they said it was normal play. Bullshit. I am taking it to another dealer tomorrow.

I have read about a roll pin issue and even linkage issues. Does it sound like it?

Help. I searched but its clutter.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Try this - free, and easy !

See here Linky !

Mine was feeling sloppy the other day - I did this during lunch , and it took about 15 minutes.

Turns out the right side cable holder just needed to be lifted by finger , which is good as I could not figure out how to get a screwdriver in there - the right side cable moves backwards when you go into first.

At any rate, it sure seems like the shifter feels tighter - maybe it's all in my head, by whatever - I am happy now.

Good Luck !

Britt
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Tried it. It helped a bit with the 2nd gear engagement. Still moves N-S considerably.

Edit: U just called Chevy roadside assistance, lost all my gears. Back to the dealer that told nothing was wrong with it.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Unhappy Sorry to hear that !

All I can do now is guess - that it is either the shifter ball ( plastic - grr ) or possibly the roll pin on the linkages at the tranny.

Good luck to you - I am still assuming that your car is under warranty , and that now, you won't be told that " this is normal " .

Britt
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
pull the shifter apart and find out whats broken. Its really easy to take apart. Just follow the directions from TWM for their shifter install and then work backwards to put it all together. Or just buy a TWM shifter, lol.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't buy a shifter in hopes of fixing the issue. The shifter itself can't break, since it's a solid piece. What's more likely is that the clip or plastic connector to the ball connected to the shifter is broken. The shifter itself is solid steel. You're not gonna break that.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM

I'll find out soon enough. Car is still under warranty so it's at the dealer at the moment. The linkage seemed fine but the gray clip that goes on the cable seems to slip so apparently that was normal.

I kept on driving for 2 days, even took to another dealer go get a second opinion.... Same answer.

That same day I had trouble getting in gears 1-3-5 until it wouldn't go in at all. So I had chevy roadside assistance tow it to the original dealer that told me nothing was wrong. Yes, I took it to them on purpose to rub it in their noses.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM

shifter cables could have snapped from binding up. my ss/sc did the same thing with only 8,000 miles on it. first 3 times it broke i would loose 2nd 4th and reverse. i had to go to the top of the trans and fix the clip on the shifter cable. then the 4th time the cable just snapped. leaving me stranded. i had to manually shift the car by hand into 3rd then proceed to drive 20 miles home
Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by leoaa777
I'll find out soon enough. Car is still under warranty so it's at the dealer at the moment. The linkage seemed fine but the gray clip that goes on the cable seems to slip so apparently that was normal.

I kept on driving for 2 days, even took to another dealer go get a second opinion.... Same answer.

That same day I had trouble getting in gears 1-3-5 until it wouldn't go in at all. So I had chevy roadside assistance tow it to the original dealer that told me nothing was wrong. Yes, I took it to them on purpose to rub it in their noses.
the plastic Grey connector slips?!?!?! Thats not normal. That should hold fast to the shifter cable. The grey one is on the right or left? If its on the right I have a really good idea of whats happened to your car.

You can get it in 2nd and 4th and probably reverse but not 1st 3rd or 5th???

You say its slides? I think your clip is not holding the cable and moving it into its proper gears. They will replace that clip. and adjust the cable, problem fixed.

Better reason yet, the grey clip is disconnected or barely holding so it slides! When you go into 2nd and 4th it pushes the cable. Even if the cable connector is loose, it still pushed the cable. but going into 1st 3rd and 5th pulls the cable, so your loose connecting cable is probably barely grabbing the yellow threading that the clip holds too.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Are you sure it's just not clipped all the way in? Just pop out the cupholder and check it.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bet NLSing.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
the plastic Grey connector slips?!?!?! Thats not normal. That should hold fast to the shifter cable. The grey one is on the right or left? If its on the right I have a really good idea of whats happened to your car.

You can get it in 2nd and 4th and probably reverse but not 1st 3rd or 5th???

You say its slides? I think your clip is not holding the cable and moving it into its proper gears. They will replace that clip. and adjust the cable, problem fixed.

Better reason yet, the grey clip is disconnected or barely holding so it slides! When you go into 2nd and 4th it pushes the cable. Even if the cable connector is loose, it still pushed the cable. but going into 1st 3rd and 5th pulls the cable, so your loose connecting cable is probably barely grabbing the yellow threading that the clip holds too.
Yeah that what I told them, "the clip is slipping" but to them it's normal. WTF right? I lost 1-3-5 gears on the day I had it towed. The gray clip on the right side that it's supposed to be attached to the cable was slipping thus causing the n-s play and sloppy shifting.

Yes I do nls, so what? It's a standard feature in the car and I'll be damned if I'm going to be a ***** and not use it. It works damn well, it's not my fault their oem hardware is a cheap flimsy design. That's what warranty is for. I nls every gear 1-2-3-4-5, unless you have the coordination of a downs syndrome person you should be able to nail every single gear.

Regardless, it's at the dealer now.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM

It's obvious that you don't know how to NLS. Considering you broke your shifter, you don't have a leg to stand on to argue otherwise.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
It's obvious that you don't know how to NLS. Considering you broke your shifter, you don't have a leg to stand on to argue otherwise.
My 13.9 @ 103 mph 100% stock says otherwise.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Shifter feels loose since Saturday.

When in gear the shifter has a lot of play in a North-South or Up and down direction but barely E-W (side to side) if that makes sense.

It does not pop out of gear and I am still able to drive the car except for the sloppy feeling of the shifter.

What broke? I took to the dealer and they said it was normal play. Bullshit. I am taking it to another dealer tomorrow.

I have read about a roll pin issue and even linkage issues. Does it sound like it?

Help. I searched but its clutter.

Try adjusting the cable on the left, it controls side to side just lift it up, move the shifter to the desired spot and snap it down into place and if it doesnt work the first time keep playing with it until it feels better.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:00 PM

I know the car is at a dealership now but I would have checked the roll pin just to be sure. Seems easy enough to do and sounds pretty much like what you said. Sloppy shifter to no gears at all.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...light=roll+pin
Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Well if you just lost all your gears I bet you snapped the shifter linkage. the sloppy play you felt before was that it was already cracked and loose, then when you lost all gears that was it giving out completely and becoming disconnected. Probably. Its what happened to me.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 PM

My 13.9 @ 103 mph 100% stock says otherwise.
No..........it really doesn't.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM

i had saved this from some time ago, once i get some time i want to do this

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ter+adjustment
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM

Now why do you have to be that way? Unless the shifter is right there in front of you, and ASSUMING you have ANY idea what you're even looking at, what makes you so certain that #1 a bad No Lift Shift caused the problem and #2 you are the only person in the world that can NLS correctly? Does it make you feel superior and give you little chills up and down your legs? I've been speed shifting manual transmissions, probably, before you were a twinkle in your old mans eye. I had the exact symptoms being described here a few weeks ago while visiting family in NY. I had my daughter and grand daughter in the car and I wasn't No Lift Shifting. I slowed to make a left turn, went to down shift and that was it. I was stuck in one gear. Couldn't shift up, down, into or out of gear. I was close enough to my son in laws house so I just rolled up into the driveway and fixed it. The clip had become disengaged from the cable and the cable had slipped out of the clip entirely. I DO have a real good idea of exactly what caused my problem but can't PROVE it and I don't think I owe you an explanation anyway. But because I had installed my own aftermarket shifter I was aware of how the mechanism works and had a good idea what to look for. It took me about 10 minutes to reinsert the cable into the clip, adjust it and lock the clip. Problem solved. It just annoys the **** out of me to hear a wise ass like you pound his chest like your Gods gift to the automobile. But because you're SO positive NLS'ing caused the problem I'm going to assume you have first hand knowlege about how that CAN happen. I guess that shifting lesson was on the house. Huh? No matter HOW smart you THINK you are there is always somebody out there that's better or smarter, or at least AS GOOD OR SMART as you. Try being nice for a change. Exchanging information and ideas is good. Talking down to people isn't.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
Now why do you have to be that way? Unless the shifter is right there in front of you, and ASSUMING you have ANY idea what you're even looking at, what makes you so certain that #1 a bad No Lift Shift caused the problem and #2 you are the only person in the world that can NLS correctly? Does it make you feel superior and give you little chills up and down your legs? I've been speed shifting manual transmissions, probably, before you were a twinkle in your old mans eye. I had the exact symptoms being described here a few weeks ago while visiting family in NY. I had my daughter and grand daughter in the car and I wasn't No Lift Shifting. I slowed to make a left turn, went to down shift and that was it. I was stuck in one gear. Couldn't shift up, down, into or out of gear. I was close enough to my son in laws house so I just rolled up into the driveway and fixed it. The clip had become disengaged from the cable and the cable had slipped out of the clip entirely. I DO have a real good idea of exactly what caused my problem but can't PROVE it and I don't think I owe you an explanation anyway. But because I had installed my own aftermarket shifter I was aware of how the mechanism works and had a good idea what to look for. It took me about 10 minutes to reinsert the cable into the clip, adjust it and lock the clip. Problem solved. It just annoys the **** out of me to hear a wise ass like you pound his chest like your Gods gift to the automobile. But because you're SO positive NLS'ing caused the problem I'm going to assume you have first hand knowlege about how that CAN happen. I guess that shifting lesson was on the house. Huh? No matter HOW smart you THINK you are there is always somebody out there that's better or smarter, or at least AS GOOD OR SMART as you. Try being nice for a change. Exchanging information and ideas is good. Talking down to people isn't.

Calm down, buell. You always get so worked up. I'm just razzin the guy. This is teh internetz, ya know.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Calm down, buell. You always get so worked up. I'm just razzin the guy. This is teh internetz, ya know.
SSlobalt

Member #: 47972

I thought this would be the dumbest post ever when I read the title...................and I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon729

Then the very next day I find this. Commenting on this guy's thoughts on simple aerodynamics and how it affects performance, speed and fuel economy. Do you have something against saying something NICE every once in a while? Or if you can't think of something nice then maybe saying NOTHING? You're right. It's "teh internetz". NOT KINDERGARTEN! Now go in the corner and play with your blocks.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

I had shifter problems with my Cobalt 3 times all having to do with the cables, but all 3 times the warrenty fixed it. Now the car is just a bad memory
Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 PM

No..........it really doesn't.
Show me another SS breaking into the 13s or better yet, your own without using NLS in any gear. Now, go back to Gran Turismo or whatever the **** you kids play.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
SSlobalt

Member #: 47972

I thought this would be the dumbest post ever when I read the title...................and I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon729

Then the very next day I find this. Commenting on this guy's thoughts on simple aerodynamics and how it affects performance, speed and fuel economy. Do you have something against saying something NICE every once in a while? Or if you can't think of something nice then maybe saying NOTHING? You're right. It's "teh internetz". NOT KINDERGARTEN! Now go in the corner and play with your blocks.
Wow, dude. Go live in a bubble.

Show me another SS breaking into the 13s or better yet, your own without using NLS in any gear. Now, go back to Gran Turismo or whatever the **** you kids play.
Your first sentence is just backing up what I've been saying.

Last edited by SSlobalt; 07-24-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Shifter problems.