08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Shifter issue??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter issue??

Hey was looking for a lil info and maybe a step in the right direction. Just recently my shifter started to feel a little "off". The shifter does not spring back to the middle of N when taking it of gear. For example if i shift out of first it will just stay to the left between 1st and 2nd where it used to spring the middle between 3rd and 4th. I also noticed it seems hard to push to the right like when trying to shift into fifth gear. I was doing a lil research and someone said for me to check the bracket that connects the cables to the actual transmission for a loose or missing bolt but I looked and bracket was bolted securely.
Any ideas guys? Ill try and get pics of under my shift boot and cables after work
thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
check your shifter cable clamps. See if the one responsible for left to right motion "let go" of the cable or broke.

The grey and white parts are the part that actually hold the clamps to the cable. The left clamp is for forward and back motion. The right is for left to right motion... I think..

This is located right under the cup holder. Just pop the cup holder insert out and look down in there.