08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So a local man is selling his cortex for $250 and I talked him down and I'm excited. I'm looking for a modest tune and this seems to be the answer. I am assuming the install difficulty is great for the novice like myself and the gains although minimal are comparable to GMS1 (assuming so) which was a route I was going to take.

Reading the thread I'm more confused now.

So from what I understand is I can expect about 270whp and some mods like k&n sri, downpipe are okay but mods like injen intake still needs custom tune. The superchips tune is a modest and safe, recommendation for novices wanting to be on the safe side of tuning and doest want to pay $700 or more for GMS1. Its a good starting point for stock cars. I also read that writing back to stock before dealer visits are safe. Not only that it provides additional features like datalog and guages.

If this was what the bulk of this forum then superchips seems like the tune for me. It seems like a nice cheap safe starting point. so if this is indeed the case then I should be pretty happy with this purchase I just made do you guys agree with the my analysis of this forum.

by the way I am sorry for resurrecting such an old thread
Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 AM

ive had mine for ever now ......... like 16k miles
get like 32 mpg........ best track time without foot ***** in the rear is 13.3 @ 106.03
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

dont do it.....
Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Why not, it'll give me gains, its cheap. Yeah there are better options but I want cheap and reliable. the ability to revert back without a lot of work is nice. Hptuners is too expensive ppc is too. Trifecta is a hassle. Unless I keep the cable then the price is too much. GMS1 is too much. The gains are minimal but that's fine for me. I don't plan on too many aftermarket parts. Most risky piece is k&n Sri.

This is a great solution for a novice and person planning to keep majority of the car stock. For me I don't see a better solution. Its cheap and gives me a bump. I don't want to be or beds to be the fastest guy on my block or neighborhood.

This is my logic. Convince me not to proceed I welcome. I'm still a very indecisive person. I just wanna make the right choice for my needs.

GMS1 would be good for my warranty concerns but price, and performance gains similar to superchips and a high potential for sensor failure makes it hard for me to justify.

Please excuse the grammar, this was done Samsung Vibrant over 30 minutes of stop work then finish message then repeat
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Once i got a tune for my SRI, i havent used the Superchips since. I should sell mine too. The cortex is nice, but the support is weaksauce and the power difference between trifecta /hptuners and cortex/gms1 is very substantial
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewbroo
dont do it.....
Why would you say that ? The superchip tune is a great starter tune and for the $200 you spend on a used one you could sell it for the same amount when your ready for a big boy tune I'm sorry i'm not impressed with a regular trifecta tune it wasn't that much faster than my car, Hp/trifecta might be different IDK.. Only bad part its a canned tune can't adjust to mods.What is it like 15 hp difference on a stock car ?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by vahdyx
Why not, it'll give me gains, its cheap. Yeah there are better options but I want cheap and reliable. the ability to revert back without a lot of work is nice. Hptuners is too expensive ppc is too. Trifecta is a hassle. Unless I keep the cable then the price is too much. GMS1 is too much. The gains are minimal but that's fine for me. I don't plan on too many aftermarket parts. Most risky piece is k&n Sri.

This is a great solution for a novice and person planning to keep majority of the car stock. For me I don't see a better solution. Its cheap and gives me a bump. I don't want to be or beds to be the fastest guy on my block or neighborhood.

This is my logic. Convince me not to proceed I welcome. I'm still a very indecisive person. I just wanna make the right choice for my needs.

GMS1 would be good for my warranty concerns but price, and performance gains similar to superchips and a high potential for sensor failure makes it hard for me to justify.

Please excuse the grammar, this was done Samsung Vibrant over 30 minutes of stop work then finish message then repeat

The SC tune runs very rich, and offers little to no tuning support. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
Why would you say that ? The superchip tune is a great starter tune and for the $200 you spend on a used one you could sell it for the same amount when your ready for a big boy tune I'm sorry i'm not impressed with a regular trifecta tune it wasn't that much faster than my car, Hp/trifecta might be different IDK.. Only bad part its a canned tune can't adjust to mods.What is it like 15 hp difference on a stock car ?
Unless you datalog you TF tune, then its just a really really good canned tune. If people would datalog properly then they would see much more impressive results. My base TF tune made 30 more WHP and 50 more ftlbs than my SC tune. I would know, I even provided people with a dyno thread all about it.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewbroo
Unless you datalog you TF tune, then its just a really really good canned tune. If people would datalog properly then they would see much more impressive results. My base TF tune made 30 more WHP and 50 more ftlbs than my SC tune. I would know, I even provided people with a dyno thread all about it.
Was that on a stock car no mods no DP nothing ?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

i was stock for my comparison, and boy its a big difference, i rarely spun second, and my stock clutch had no issues on the cortex. I wanted better support so i went to trifecta. What i hadnt banked on was the improvement in spooling, the midrange wallop, second gear wheelspin. So much torque that my stock clutch gave out at 3500rpm. Once your traction and clutch dig in, i also noticed the trifecta tune is pulling harder past 5k-to redline. the superchips falls back to stock power levels past 5500.

Since then ive gone exedy, mounts and k&N SRI. And while the difference wasnt ginormous, the powerband is better, even though the lighter flywheel makes spool a tad slower. I was going to spring for charge piping, downpipe and new IC, but honestly the power the car makes is well beyond my expectation for stock cat and IC

Im walking all kinds of mid and low 13 second rwd cars. 95% of the cars i see arent as quick. Sure i wont be able to spank an 11 mustang GT, GT500, or LS3/Z06/ZR1 vettes, but all of those cars are in a way different league price and performance wise
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
Was that on a stock car no mods no DP nothing ?
Stock DP, Muffler delete, and a hahn CAI
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM

I had the SC tune for a while and ran a 13.54 on the stock contis, I used SC to compare what their tune did to the car versus self tuning, and yes, pig rich. I run VERY lean now without any problems and a smidge less timing than most.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 PM

do u like it army i remember selling it to u lol