Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   ThePanduuh '09 SS/TC Sedan Build Thread (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/thepanduuh-09-ss-tc-sedan-build-thread-320844/)

ThePanduuh 02-28-2016 06:39 PM

ThePanduuh '09 SS/TC Sedan Build Thread

Today I just picked up a 2009 Cobalt SS/TC with 94,110 miles on it! I'm super excited, can't wait.

Specifics:
I was looking for a stick, sporty car for around $6500. The Cobalt SS/SC's were selling around there and some TC's were as well. So I found this TC, sedan, really nice looking. Was going to get an insurance quote when he said 'It was in an accident last night.' I told my dad this and he said, stick with it. BG info: my dad just did a motor swap on a malibu he got really cheap. Motor was from a cobalt. There's a guy about 20 minutes away that specializes in cobalts. So he has tons of wrecks, parts, etc.. He knows what he is doing. So Today February 28th 2016, I bought and picked up the car. I will have an imgur album at the end of what we've done and will update it with everything we will be doing.

It was hit in the front passenger side, in front of the wheel, but fairly high. The bumper cover is trashed, fender is done, and the hood crumpled down. Estimate was $4500 in damage to fix and included a new rad support and paint all around the front. It might have swayed over because the drivers door is hitting the fender but it'll get pulled back if necessary.

First thing I checked when I got the car on the trailer: G85 or no? Sure enough, G85 :D

I only have a few questions:
The injen intake picture, the hose that's on it, is it missing something? something seemed to have disconnected somewhere along the line and it's not connected right.
The intercooler picture, what's the bottom part for? Why is it just dangling?

I only got the car for $2300 and I'll update with what the guy says tomorrow. I'm SUPER stoked! I can't wait for it.

Here's the imgur link with all the pictures I took today:
ThePanduuh '09 Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - Album on Imgur

Haven07 02-28-2016 10:04 PM

Grats for having the patience to restore that sedan to its former glory I hope you get it done! Those tc sedans are getting rarer and rarer

ThePanduuh 02-28-2016 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Haven07 (Post 7595067)
Grats for having the patience to restore that sedan to its former glory I hope you get it done! Those tc sedans are getting rarer and rarer

Indeed! Glad I was able to find someone with all the parts, and the experience (my dad said when he went to pick up the motor the guy had two cars cut in half he was putting together). So I think he knows what he's doing. I didn't know the G85 was a package, I thought they all had it. Was really surprised to see that it was a sedan with the G85 package! Hope to have her good to go within a week or two because i can't wait to get her going (second car, first manual, first "sport" car)

GBRunner24 02-28-2016 11:02 PM

Welcome! Will be following to see where you go with it!

Slowbalt2000 02-28-2016 11:59 PM

Welcome! Nice pics

Snail_SS 02-29-2016 12:08 AM

Did you get it from copart?

tuned08ss 02-29-2016 12:19 AM

That intercooler is busted and I spot 3 bar map sensors. That car has some sort of tune on it.

ThePanduuh 02-29-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS (Post 7595094)
Did you get it from copart?

Nope! The car was hit and the sticker put on by nationwide. They were going to pay to fix it. $4500 estimated damage.

ThePanduuh 02-29-2016 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by tuned08ss (Post 7595097)
That intercooler is busted and I spot 3 bar map sensors. That car has some sort of tune on it.

intercooler is busted? Or does that thing hanging need to be ziptied back up? I don't think it was tuned, should be stock afaik. The only thing changed was the intake.

EDIT: took pics of the MAP and MAF sensors to verify. http://imgur.com/a/yESCc

Edit again: looked from the top (car is on a lift so i didn't before) and it's the stock map sensor. no tune here.

last edit i swear: checked the intercooler, the condensation collector is the only thing hanging. doesn't look like any plastic is cracked or any hoses messed up. It has age, and wear, and not all the fins are perfect, but it'll work for now. I'll probably end up swapping it for another one at some point.

Snail_SS 02-29-2016 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ThePanduuh (Post 7595154)
Nope! The car was hit and the sticker put on by nationwide. They were going to pay to fix it. $4500 estimated damage.

Ah ok, yeah cars usually come with that sticker when they are sold for auction

ThePanduuh 02-29-2016 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS (Post 7595160)
Ah ok, yeah cars usually come with that sticker when they are sold for auction

yeah my dad asked the same question. he's bought cars from copart before.

no_ss 02-29-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThePanduuh
intercooler is busted? Or does that thing hanging need to be ziptied back up? I don't think it was tuned, should be stock afaik. The only thing changed was the intake.

EDIT: took pics of the MAP and MAF sensors to verify. http://imgur.com/a/yESCc

Edit again: looked from the top (car is on a lift so i didn't before) and it's the stock map sensor. no tune here.

last edit i swear: checked the intercooler, the condensation collector is the only thing hanging. doesn't look like any plastic is cracked or any hoses messed up. It has age, and wear, and not all the fins are perfect, but it'll work for now. I'll probably end up swapping it for another one at some point.

That condensation collector will leak boost and you'll get a boost leak code I'm pretty sure.

ThePanduuh 02-29-2016 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by no_ss (Post 7595224)
That condensation collector will leak boost and you'll get a boost leak code I'm pretty sure.

I haven't yet. Will update if I do when the car is running. I can also put the condensation catcher on tighter or get rid of it altogether and plug it.

ThePanduuh 03-06-2016 05:53 PM

Went to the Harry's U Pull It yard(s) yesterday. Hit two of the three, some Cobalts, some Pontiac G5's. Parts include a fog light assembly (minus the bulb which we still have), manual from an 08 (to learn how to set the time etc), an inner fenderwell, air intake water collector, headlight and fender brackets, and misc screws pushpins etc.

Parts ordered so far:
Radiator - should be here this week, get her running again so she can get her oil changed properly
Intercooler and air box - both stock thanks to Mice13 for shipping them out, should be here fridayish

Parts to be ordered:
radiator fan assembly - mine's cracked
bumper cover - because SS only

Should be going to the guy my dad knows to see what he thinks it'll need as far as time to get the Rad support replaced. Other than that, she should drive as soon as the radiator is installed. We're going to need to run her hot enough to flush the fluid out and to change the oil (throwing some extras in with the oil to help clean out the insides) then one more oil change before she's good to drive so that there's good oil inside her. Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30.

pics of parts etc http://imgur.com/a/Hp0ZF (disregard tires they are for my dad)

The front grilles he took into work and cleaned and repainted as well as epoxied the broken parts on the upper grille. Slightly glossy black painted.

total spent so far: $300

Just an update post, I really want to drive her!!

ThePanduuh 03-16-2016 12:11 AM

Update!

Today we got a radiator support! The thing that took the most of the damage. I left for work at 4:45pm with it still in the full shape and came back to a mocked up ready to weld piece! Pulling her out tomorrow to run her. Welding her up soon, getting the bumper cover is the last thing on the list. Already got a stock intercooler, stock airbox, K&N filter for the stock box, hood and fender in color, shorty antenna on the way as well as the back badges (because someone debadged her). Should be good to go in a week or two!!! I'm super excited!!!!!

Murdered SS 03-16-2016 12:25 AM

Nice brother sounds great. Good luck on everything on getting your car going. I'm in the same boat good luck

ThePanduuh 03-16-2016 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Murdered SS (Post 7598436)
Nice brother sounds great. Good luck on everything on getting your car going. I'm in the same boat good luck

Thanks! Good luck with your rebuild!

ThePanduuh 03-17-2016 03:18 PM

So shes basically done! Got the rad support in, welded, painted, hood and fender on and aligned, headlight buckets and headlights on, she's basically done. Changed her oil after running tranny fluid in there to break some of the sludge up, now running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30! I cleaned her wheels today so they're nice and shiny, less dirty inside. He used a sanding disc to take off the rust from the brakes, then I went out and ripped her! She PULLS!!

All that's left now is to get the bumper cover, ordered, should be here by april 1st, already painted.

Thanks to my dad for doing literally all of this, I was the "small shit" guy.

Here's a link to the album with updated pics: ThePanduuh Parts/Rebuild Pics - Album on Imgur

ThePanduuh 03-31-2016 11:37 PM

She's done!!! She's a blast to drive, she will get me in trouble. Still getting used to the stick, first stick, never really drove one on the road let alone dailyed it. She's my new daily. Loving the car overall. You may notice I went with the Sport bumper, the SS bumper was $50 more and doesn't include the $200 lip. I'll destroy that thing anyway with the potholes around here. So I opted for the regular sport bumper. Still looks beautiful. Enjoying her overall :D

Album updated with pictures ThePanduuh Parts/Rebuild Pics - Album on Imgur

Snail_SS 03-31-2016 11:45 PM

She looks like new good job man

ThePanduuh 03-31-2016 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS (Post 7601535)
She looks like new good job man

Thanks! Basically all the work was my dad. I did small stuff. For only 94000 miles she runs amazing! Someone definitely replaced the clutch in the past (great for me!). They debadged the back so I rebadged her today. Bow ties are black, I approve. She was washed yesterday and vacuumed today. She's well taken care of.

LsCobalt07 04-01-2016 10:41 AM

Came out really well! The headlights and gaps between the panels look perfect. Good to someone giving an SS a second chance.

Ecotecftw 04-01-2016 01:11 PM

Welcome to the sedan crew... glad to see this beauty saved and given another life.

ThePanduuh 05-05-2016 12:47 AM

Post dailying her for about a month update:

She's amazing! I love her!!! Love power when I need it and not having it when I don't. This car is amazing. I had an issue with the rear brake calipers sticking, which caused the rotor to get scored, but once that was repaired with brand new drilled and slotted rotors and new pads we were good to go!
So what have I done since?
- Stickers, because I need people to know she's more than just a cobalt. They all want to look at it and say "It's just a cobalt..."
- VVT Solenoids, CEL came on, read the code, P0013 "B" Camshaft, Replaced both solenoids for $65 from amazon, two days later, she's running better than ever. The exhaust solenoid was reading 25 ohms of resistance and the intake was reading about 11 ohms. They are supposed to be between 9-12 ohms. So that could explain lack of power...
- Spark plugs! I had made my dyno appointment and my dad suggested checking the plugs. I didn't even check, I just went and bought all new ACDelco plugs (stock). Ended up being what looked like factory plugs! They needed to be replaced bad, so when I did, WOW another huge difference. Small things that add up I guess.
- TODAY I GOT HER DYNOED. Wow. For a Stock car, coming from a 2.2L LAP motor in my Malibu, this engine makes POWER. Hearing her ALL STOCK SOUNDS, seeing those ALL STOCK NUMBERS. Wow. My best run (out of 4) it made 236whp and 242whtq. For a stock car, I am sure to be slaying civics (too dirt nasty low anyway). Yes, it's making numbers it should for stock, but that's good. It means the engine is not harmed in a way that would cause power loss (buying a used, wrecked car with 94,000 miles, who knows what could have been done to it).

PLANS:
- TurboXS FL catback exhaust system - I want loud, but not TOO loud, and loud is pushing it, I just want it to be heard a little more.
- K&N CAI, because Injen puts it too low for my taste.
- Tinted windows

I'm in no rush to mod, especially with a lady friend which I take out frequently, (She's one of those "It's just a cobalt..." people) I don't exactly have the $$ to mod/tune right away. Just going to enjoy her stock beauty and take the best care of her :)

Link for some pictures (including dyno sheet): Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

umrdyldo 05-05-2016 10:37 AM

Those numbers are spot on for a stock vehicle. Especially considering it has stock MAP sensors.

Get an HPTune and GMS1 MAP sensors with pigtails. You will be more than happy with the added power.