08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Tuned original ecu, will second ecu maintain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuned original ecu, will second ecu maintain warranty?

I know most people purchase a second ECU and get that one tuned, using the stock ECU for warranty items. I didn't have intentions of maintaining my warranty, but now i have over 15K on my tune. Somethings bound to break sooner or later. I'm wondering if i can get a second ECU, have the stock tune downloaded and than throw it into my car if i need to bring it in?? ecuoutlet.com can take a blank ECU and put the stock cobalt tune on it. The only thing i could see is if the ECU has a VIN on it and can tell if it is or isn't the original ECU from the factory. Thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM

I think they can tell if they dig deep enough, but I'm pretty sure its luck of the draw on this one.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, yes, they can and will void your warranty if they know about it.

Can they find out? If they REALLY want to I don't see why not.

I remember reading about their warranty claim procedure for V8's that need major repair or replacement. The tech is instructed to enter a certain screen and take a clear digital photo of the screen. Then they email that pic to GM. GM can then look up the information on that screen to see if it matches what they have on file for that vehicle. No match... no warranty. They can tell if the ECU has EVER been tuned other than the factory and in this case I'm sure each ECU (and the stock tune) is "married" to that vehicle. So even a spare ECU with a stock tune will probably contain information that doesn't match what they have.

Personally, the only time I'd really worry is if you have some major catastrophe like needing the engine replaced. I've had my car in a couple times for the ESC not working and a misfire. Both times there was an active aftermarket tune and they never said a word about it.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by hiltu
I know most people purchase a second ECU and get that one tuned, using the stock ECU for warranty items. I didn't have intentions of maintaining my warranty, but now i have over 15K on my tune. Somethings bound to break sooner or later. I'm wondering if i can get a second ECU, have the stock tune downloaded and than throw it into my car if i need to bring it in?? ecuoutlet.com can take a blank ECU and put the stock cobalt tune on it. The only thing i could see is if the ECU has a VIN on it and can tell if it is or isn't the original ECU from the factory. Thanks

If the people you got the stock ECU from flashed the stock tune to it with anything other than a GM tech2 the CVN numbers won't match. The other thing i'm wondering is say you have a major hard part failure and the car won't start or drive . Now you throw the 2nd ecu in before hitting the dealer, The other control modules are going to have codes set and a history of events , the 2nd ecu isn't going to have any info to read, no history no codes nothing. That will stick out like a sore thumb.