Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   weird burning smell (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/weird-burning-smell-146297/)

fslick 12-11-2008 02:05 PM

weird burning smell

Hey guys

Before you tell me to hit the search button, I already have but none really specifically answer my question. Ive had this light burning smell coming from the front of the car that I only notice slightly while inside the car on the 1st day of driving it. Then on the 3rd day I only noticed it when i was outside and standing in front. It smells kinda like burnt rubber or some kind of burning oil and doesnt have a sweet smell (ie not the coolant).

I did have the dealership install rust proofing/undercoating and the salesman who went for a ride with me told me the smell was due to this or some resin left from the factory on the exhaust burning off, but i thought itd be safe to get a second opinion. The car has less than 200km so far.

Here is a quick description of how I drive so you can tell me if I'm abusing the clutch or not. When I get going in first gear, I let the clutch go to the friction point, then give around 800-1100rpm of gas while slowly letting the clutch out maybe holding the clutch between the friction point and engagement for 1-1.5s. I have never given 2k or more to get going except on a hill a couple of times. Please tell me if this is correct or if I am somehow abusing the clutch. I never redline the car and I havent powershifted or dumped the clutch but I have stalled a few times (at very low rpm not dumping the clutch at 4k).

Im thinking there is no way that my clutch is burning already due to the low kms and the smell must be due to the undercoat or the engine breaking in.

Thanks in advance

Force 12-11-2008 02:40 PM

Brand new cars smell like chemical factories for the first few hundred kilometres, it's completely normal.

boostaddict 12-11-2008 02:47 PM

I'd say you're totally fine. Clutch is getting broken in, all of the piston rings are seating, exhaust is setting in, the undercoating is cooking off...overall, you're fine.

As far as abusing the clutch, well since it's basically brand new, I wouldn't take it above 4k rpms, for the clutches sake as well as the motor for another couple hundred miles

fslick 12-11-2008 03:02 PM

Yeah ive been trying to keep the rpm low by shifting right at 3k. So overall would u say that my driving habits are good in terms of clutch longevity?

sean_halla 12-11-2008 03:04 PM

sounds ok

GutterPalAl 12-11-2008 03:04 PM

did you check your fuses??

chipsgt 12-11-2008 03:04 PM

And just as a general rule of thumb, burning clutches tend to smell like burning hair.
So if you know what that smells like, and your car dosent smell like that, then you are good! :twothumbs

DGAF260 12-11-2008 04:03 PM

every car i PDI has a weird smell from the exhaust but it fills the cabin my cobalt did this too and if it is this like youre salesman said it will gradually decrease until it is gone say 200 miles and should only happen when the engine is warmed up.

BowTieTillIdie 12-11-2008 04:24 PM

If you are smelling this in a new car and or park it in a garage the smell is real strong I would sniff your brembos .. They stink like ass if you are riding the brakes and its kinda wet or something mne was the same way now I can barely notice it dude ...

fslick 12-11-2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie (Post 3195785)
If you are smelling this in a new car and or park it in a garage the smell is real strong I would sniff your brembos .. They stink like ass if you are riding the brakes and its kinda wet or something mne was the same way now I can barely notice it dude ...

Well is it normal for the brakes to smell like that? I'll have to take a look today after I go for a drive. But I dont normally ride the brakes and I never brake hard during brake in. Unless by riding the brake u mean feathering it at stops to stop smoothly.

edit: I checked my brakes after an hour drive and the smell is definately not from the brakes.

SS_carnatic 12-11-2008 06:18 PM

I got the undercoating also and BOY howdy did our Garage smell like PAINT THINNER lol......Mine is new too and it has little smells nothing i'm too worried about....especially if i'm/you aren't burning the clutch.

Tomtwtwtw 12-11-2008 06:46 PM

If you still smell anything after 500 miles, I'd get it looked at. Otherwise, it's all to be expected.

mjrchabot 12-12-2008 09:59 AM

Yeah that "burning" smell is just the chemicals found in the coatings of the engine evaporating. I noticed it first time I doive my car too - mine smelt exactly like a hot glue gun. I've noticed the smell has already gone away with about 700kms on it.
You're fine.