08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Why does everyone hate the SS interior/body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does everyone hate the SS interior/body?

Every review its the same story. The body is outdated and the interior is "cheap".

Am I the only one that likes the style? No its not redesigned I get it. Still love the seats, the front end, and the spoiler. I don't need all those pretty bells and whistles that will crack and fall off in 3 years. Not really into hatchbacks and the Si looks kinda weird with such a small hood imo...

Still I have to bash the cupholders. WTF chevy? They are the exact same ones as my 96' s10. Must have a warehouse full of em... <end rant>
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by et00
Still I have to bash the cupholders. WTF chevy? They are the exact same ones as my 96' s10. Must have a warehouse full of em... <end rant>
In my 92 beretta the same thing.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by et00
Every review its the same story. The body is outdated and the interior is "cheap".

Am I the only one that likes the style? No its not redesigned I get it. Still love the seats, the front end, and the spoiler. I don't need all those pretty bells and whistles that will crack and fall off in 3 years. Not really into hatchbacks and the Si looks kinda weird with such a small hood imo...

Get inside of it and start tugging on the plastic around the dash. It is thin and not well mounted.

The people reviewing them also review cadillacs and beamers. Its not a $40k car.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by yobrigidey
Get inside of it and start tugging on the plastic around the dash. It is thin and not well mounted.

The people reviewing them also review cadillacs and beamers. Its not a $40k car.
Good Point...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM

i think its a really good looking car. idk where people complain about the styling.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they're jealous that chevy made an outstanding car. the plastic may be cheap, but if you're a serious driver the interior doesn't matter.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM

ill put it this way,

my next car, i will not be able to pull any plastic off to paint, wont try and mod my brick of a E brake and wont be reminded of my old Z24....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:05 PM

well, put it this way. I can pull plastic off of a Ferrari and paint it and put it back on so good luck with that

its also only a 20k car. Its not a BMW or Benz. Honda's have plastic too and its not luxurious plastic either. Plastic is plastic. It all sucks. Yeah some are better looking or whatever. But you don't drive plastic. You drive the chassis, suspension, and engine. Which are all great on this car.

Last edited by BeermanSSSC; 07-29-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
well, put it this way. I can pull plastic off of a Ferrari and paint it and put it back on so good luck with that

its also only a 20k car. Its not a BMW or Benz. Honda's have plastic too and its not luxurious plastic either. Plastic is plastic. It all sucks. Yeah some are better looking or whatever. But you don't drive plastic. You drive the chassis, suspension, and engine. Which are all great on this car.
And there you have it... the truth!
haha
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Yeah interior is cheap as hell. I can't stand it

I had my shift cap snap off, clothes hanger break, and there's wear starting to show on the carpet.. Car is just a little over 2 years old. Yeah interior is cheap alright.

I like the outside though and love the styling of my SS/SC...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Honestly my experience with the cobalt was eh...

I loved the car loved it... it was fast as **** and the drive train was top notch...

But the build quality was horrible... perhaps I was just unlucky... but the car was very very cheaply made. Every other week something went wrong...

And what bugs me the most, I just picked up a 08 Wolfsburg Jetta (with the GTI 2.0T engine and the DSG transmission 200hp, 207tq) fully loaded... heated leather, heated mirrors, Power Everything... and the sticker was 2k less than the cobalt

-Rich
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in a daily driver things break. after two years, i hope your carpet is starting t wear. a ferrari would be the same way. the car only costs 20k. jeez.

ehh oh well

Originally Posted by originaladrian
ill put it this way,

my next car, i will not be able to pull any plastic off to paint, wont try and mod my brick of a E brake and wont be reminded of my old Z24....
Guess it will be easy to rip it off and put in some carbon fiber if it bothers you.

Most every GM I see has alot of plastic interior and everyone I know says its held up fine for years. I'd Rather GM put in a sweet suspension then a nice dash...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Things were breaking in the first couple of months...

Exhaust baffle snapped...
Switches stopped working...
Many many fit and finish issues...

(8 pages of condensed service history)

It was a tough 3 years of ownership...

-Rich
Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM

i remeber before i painted the silver was chipping off everywhere
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
in a daily driver things break. after two years, i hope your carpet is starting t wear. a ferrari would be the same way. the car only costs 20k. jeez.
Funny the carpet in my old 2001 Cavalier that's now 7 years old and with well over 100k miles, the carpet never wore out on me... Actually it's funny the Cavalier had an even worse reputation, and in the four years that I drove it, I didn't have any where near the problems that I've had in my barely two year old Cobalt...

It's the cheap quality that makes me not want to get the SS/TC...

Oh yeah and my satin trim around the controls on the doors are starting to peal...WTF?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM

because it SCRATCHES EASY
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM

I have an 06 SS/SC and you know what non of tha crap you guys are saying is happening to mine so i guess it might just be the driver or something.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM

well the interior does feel veryy cheap.. hate all the plastic and got tons of annoying rattles. the recaros are sweet but the mesh is a pain in the ass since everything stains it...when i get out of the gym even swamp ass stains them!!!!! WTF! other than that everything is fine to me. guess thats gm for ya. love the SS though
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
I have an 06 SS/SC and you know what non of tha crap you guys are saying is happening to mine so i guess it might just be the driver or something.
Yea totally... the driver must be the reason the paint wears off the radio buttons... the panels on the door dont line up and the plastic has rough unsmoothed edges...

totally...

Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
on mine after 2800 miles:

sunroof pulsates and makes an annoying noise w/o the shade closed
drivers side window just started making a grinding noise when going down from under 1/2 way down
airbag panel vibrates & causes noise
2 other distinct rattles I can't find
the door panel scuffs really easily if I accidently touch it w/ my foot when getting out
e-brake has a gouge on it that you can see when pulled up, its not from the panel that surrounds it either since I pulled that up and there are no burrs

Its cheap because its price reduced out the ass, thus why the base cobalt is $10k after discounts. We are paying $20k+ for a car that has the interior of a $10k car to get a better power train. Its the GM way, get lots of power for cheap, but you are gonna sacrifice interior wise. The same problems the Cobalt has is shared w/ the Corvette, so don't feel too bad.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that most of the reviews are because of the type gauges -- not analog. If you look at a late model Honda Civic it is all lights and digital.

Personaly I like the round "needle-spinning" gauges -- which is what helped me decide which car I wanted more. A tachometer should have a needle, not just numbers flipping...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM

why does it matter what the interior look like. every car has plastic even on the outside. i like the car in/out. would yaw like the car to be better looking on the outside for cool points? Who care just drive the damn thing
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM

Its not only only the GM way, its the way the entire auto industry is. I have a 05 2.5rs with the sport pakage and my cousins sti has the same exact interior only with blue seats instead of black, but still the same exact seats. Sti or cobalt ss your paying 10k more for a econo-car interior with a badass powertrain.

I also always loved the way the cobalt ss looked, i think its the best looking fwd sport compact, but many disagree, oh well
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

wow, times flies, and I cannot believe I am saying this. But to directly answer the question posed in this thread's title;

Because its damn near 2009, not 1999 (can't believe its been almost a decade since)

The interior is plain and not impressive. If they would have built the interior around the same "design mojo" as the seats, then I believe it would have been rocking.

Also remember, we are speakin of a car that with all the incentives right now , is well under $25,000. My parents payed about $60,000 for a GMC Yukon Denali, and that has all the fancy real wood trim and touch screen bullshit in it with wireless headphones for the DVD player that plays spongebob for my 5 year old nephew and it has 3 stage heated seats.. it seats 8... has really awesome leather..... o yeah.. in case you missed it, it was a tad over $60,000... case and point. If you want some of the **** I just listed off, heres my Solution;

do good in High-School....Get accepted and take advantage of a Top-Tier University. Use your education to hopefully make a lot of money. Go out and buy a car that cost more then $23,000.

Now here is what most cobalt owners response is to what I just said ;

"Yeah, but it sure as **** doesn't have a 260HP turboED engine that runs 14 second traps and 0-60 in mid 5s"

Point being, who cares, the interior is just plain and simple, not horrendously ugly like your best friends cousin who comes to visit from Wisconsin.

If the new 2008 Cobalt SS/TC were not so quick and well performing, I wouldn't even have noticed the cobalt line. You would never catch me in a LS or LT or whatever.

I mean, its not like your going to be getting jaw drops and stares from rolling in a stock Cobalt SS. Obviously over the next few years, there are going to be some body kits and heavy exterior mods for the 08 Cobalt SS, but I digress. I think most people are buying it for whats under the hood + price $

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate the SS interior/body?