2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

accuracy of this meth info

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
accuracy of this meth info

hey all.

so my next big mod is installing an aem meth kit and tunning accordingly. ive been reading lots on here about the different locations for the nozzle and my question is which is the best spot you guys who run meth on an lnf have had the most success with? also, i was reading this on the devilsown website and was wondering just how accurate this info is... where to locate methanol injection nozzle

any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I'm sure people with turbo cobalts will know better about what works best or is easiest with this setup but for best performance/efficiency you'll want to inject after the intercooler. This will allow your intercooler to work at maximum potential and provide the most cooling of the intake charge. If you inject before the intercooler it will cool the charge going through the intercooler which will reduce the temperature differential between your intercooler and atmosphere which will reduce the amount of heat transferred from the charge to the atmostphere.

Sometimes what its ideal and what works best are different things. Like on my car with supercharger it would be most beneficial to inject after the laminova cores in the intake manifold. However there is no easy way of doing that that will also ensure even distribution to all the cylinders. So I inject before the cores. It drastically reduces the cooling potential of the cores but it does what it needs to. Not ideal but it works.

Just read through it and that devilsown information looks accurate to me. Good stuff
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
for best performance/efficiency you'll want to inject after the intercooler. This will allow your intercooler to work at maximum potential and provide the most cooling of the intake charge.
yeah thats exactly where i was thinking of tapping into once i read the info on the site over and over. either option 3 or 4 on there would probably be the best spot for me. now i just gotta chose between one or the other.

will tapping into the elbow coming right off my ic be a good enough spot?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by AG305
yeah thats exactly where i was thinking of tapping into once i read the info on the site over and over. either option 3 or 4 on there would probably be the best spot for me. now i just gotta chose between one or the other.

will tapping into the elbow coming right off my ic be a good enough spot?
I'd think that would be a good spot provided the elbow material is sufficient for threading into or you can somehow place a backer piece to thread into on the inside of the elbow if not. It has to be mounted well and sealed tight to handle the boost. Don't want to weaken the elbow either. Just not real familiar with the details of the system but from a macroscopic point of view that should be a good location. Hopefully others with who have installed methanol systems on their turbo Cobalts will chime in and lend some insight.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I've never had to run with it so I have no clue. If I was going to go that direction I would probably go with one of the bigger fuel pumps instead. Unless you just really want to run it.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
best place is lower charge pipe closer to intercooler. it gives meth time to mix with air so all cylinders get same amount. unless u have a relocated maf, then u cant do that. then ur stuck with a throttle body spacer and u cant spray as much cause it will no mix as well and blow out ur spark. this happened to me. I will probably be going direct port meth over winter so all cylinders get equal amount. Make sure to get aem failsafe as well...so when ur meth fails in some why, it will save ur motor
Old 08-25-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
best place is lower charge pipe closer to intercooler. it gives meth time to mix with air so all cylinders get same amount. unless u have a relocated maf, then u cant do that. then ur stuck with a throttle body spacer and u cant spray as much cause it will no mix as well and blow out ur spark. this happened to me. I will probably be going direct port meth over winter so all cylinders get equal amount. Make sure to get aem failsafe as well...so when ur meth fails in some why, it will save ur motor
i was thinking of tapping into the elbow that comes off the intercooler but then i figured the couplings would screw some stuff up maybe. so would you say right where the elbow and lower charge pipe meet is a good spot? like right after the coupling there?

how about angle of the nozzle? does it matter?
Old 08-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
If I remember I was told to install it 6-8 inches from the tb but i need to look again to make sure
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
If I remember I was told to install it 6-8 inches from the tb but i need to look again to make sure
that sounds about right at least by where im thinking of tapping (lowest part of the lower charge pipe right before the coupler that connects to the intercooler).

how should i install the nozzle and does it matter? spraying into the pipe downwards, upwards or from the side?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 PM

ok so in the instructions of the AEM v2 meth kit it says a few very important things that will definitely be an issue with where i want to inject and where i want to mount the tank. the instructions clearly state:

"the tank must be mounted such that it is below the injection point. failure to do so may lead to fluid leaking into the intake tract due to gravity or siphoning, which may result in engine damage"

and then also:

"the nozzle must be mounted such that it is above the tank. failure to do so may lead to fluid leaking into the intake tract due to gravity or siphoning, which may result in engine damage"

since i plan to inject at the lowest part of the lower charge pipe where on earth can i mount the tank at then? i wanted to mount the tank and pump in the trunk but that is obviously alot higher than where im planning on installing the nozzle.

how did you guys that are running meth set your stuff up?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM

My DevilsOwn has a check valve with 16psi cracking pressure so anywhere I mount the tank in the car there won't be enough pressure difference to allow fluid to flow through the check valve as long as it is working correctly and not leaking. I would think the primary danger from an elevated tank would be when your car isn't running and your check valve is leaking/malfunctioning it could empty the entire tank into where ever your nozzle is plumbed which could cause you to hydro-lock when you go to start up the engine. How much higher is your tank than the nozzle? Do you know the cracking pressure of your check valve? Is your nozzle mounted in a location with engine vacuum (I'm not familiar with turbo cobalt intake routing). If you aren't mounting the nozzle in a location with engine vacuum the height of your tank shouldn't cause even close to enough pressure difference to crack your check valve. If this is the case you may be able to implement some sort of manual on/off valve close to the tank that you can shut off when parking the car to prevent risk of your tank draining into the intake if your check valve leaks.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
direct port is your best bet imo and is pretty simple to do on an lnf
Old 11-15-2018, 01:12 PM

yeah and i read somewhere that meth isn't fuel. Internet is full of crazy lies.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by armcclure
yeah and i read somewhere that meth isn't fuel. Internet is full of crazy lies.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM

this is all great info thanks guys. i believe the nozzle from the aem kit is a check valve on its own but im definitely not against adding another one somewhere along the line as cheap insurance.

ok so i shouldnt have a problem mounting the tank in the trunk and my nozzle on the lower charge pipe. does this location look good then? im about ready to get this project started.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM

yep thats right at the exit. is there any benefit to the insulation? i mean im gonna have the pipe off for drilling and tapping so it wouldnt be much of a hassle. plus its the lower pipe so nobody is gonna see the ugliness lol
Old 11-15-2018, 03:18 PM

that makes sense yeah. some say to inject as close to the intercooler as possible to give time for atomizaton but then ive also been told that 6-8 inches from the tb is the reccommended location.

i just want my setup to be as perfect as can be so i can reap the full benefits of the meth. measure twice drill once yknow? wouldnt want to have to remove the nozzle and place it elsewhere on the pipe because it isnt working as best as possible the first time.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM

It would pain me to drill into my TVS neck. Btw do you actually use that Tmap? or whatever that sensor is right there on your supercharger with your ECM?
The following users liked this post:
Slowbalt2000 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
if you want to install the nozzle lower than the tank the best thing to do is run a solenoid. the AEM controllers have an output for a solenoid built into them, its real simple to install.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
if you want to install the nozzle lower than the tank the best thing to do is run a solenoid. the AEM controllers have an output for a solenoid built into them, its real simple to install.
Is the solenoid more robust than the check valve? I would think it would have the potential advantage of less flow restriction but the disadvantage of added complexity.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:33 PM

The solenoid helps with shut off dribble.

The AEM check valve will leak under typical manifold vacuum.

Insulating the pipe makes absolutely zero measurable difference; the air doesn't spend enough time there at full load for it to matter.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
Where that usually comes from are those that can't read or comprehend, therefore they just call it a lie and make crap up.
The last thing you want is a semantics or reading comprehension battle. Cool your jets.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
My Snow performance check valve doesn't leak under full vacuum. AEM's must have a much lower opening pressure. 20" of vacuum isn't going to pull water past a 20 psi check valve.
Totally disagree on wrapping. It made a significant difference in my Intake temps..
No it did not. I've been in this industry over a decade and have done significant testing with intake insulation for 3 different companies. I'm not an armchair scientist, I actually do this stuff for a living. You didn't find some magical secret, your data was simply flawed.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Thread topic: Meth kits/nozzle location. Keep it there.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
Sorry... your wrong... It did and significantly! My 4 decades trumps your 1 decade if you want to measure decades.
Been doing this for a living since 1980 if you want to count years.
Once again, you didn't comprehend what I wrote about insulating. I suggest you go back and read when I suggested doing it.
nice edit moped man. specificity trumps time. wrapping the pipe won't do a damn thing either direction in relation to his injection system.

OP jet it up and lean on it hard, it's the safest way for your engine. An automatic failsafe of sorts.

Quick Reply: accuracy of this meth info