2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

All You Need to Know About Different Tunes

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
^^ I don't know what the hell they were smoking when they posted that.

Just like HAHN states 30whp from their intake
In reality the 30 whp gain must be from the catless DP, Intake, CPs, IC put together. I would say 15-20 whp up top with Hahn's intake is more realistic.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
Scanning via Tech2 with the current methods used will show that it is a stock programmed ECU.

They may, however, discover the tune by accidentally hitting the cruise button. The TC button is less likely to be hit/used during road testing. Despite the tune not being able to be seen via Tech2, I'd advise flashing to stock before it's in the shop regardless. I got a call from my dealer once with them scratching their heads, telling me that the Hahn IC I had on the car was getting me a 60+HP increase. (They accidentally activated the tune with the cruise control button while road testing it on the highway and saw the crazy-good numbers on the RPD HP/torque screen. lol)

If the ECU is sent in, it will show an error when read, and the ECU may be considered bad or broken.
Sounds more like joy riding your car.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Doesn't matter how hard its driven. At 24 PSI the turbo is running at 90 to 100% rated impeller speed. Anything beyond that just invites compressor surge and soaring charge air temps. Just slapping one of these go for broke cals into an LNF is just creating a grenade. I don't know Vince but he's doing his customers a great disservice because I know he knows that much boost is a ticking timebomb in an LNF with stock piston ring end gaps and a stock intercooler. Not to mention setting the turbo up for an untimely failure.

AF ratio being 11 or 12 ain't gonna fix charge air temps that are probably 250 to 300 degrees or ring end gaps that are to tight for that level of crown temp.

Think about this for a minute. ZZP is making what 425/450 on 24 lbs from a proper setup. Whats the difference why won't a stocker make that. AIRFLOW! Their working the head. SO what do you think 30 pounds in a stock head is doing. Thats right backing up in the ports. And what happens when the air backs up? It gets hotter than a MO!
No one addressed this, if this is true, why does the GMS1 push max boost to 27 psi?

Also, what is the actual range for the 2 Bar MAP sensors to read accurately? (2 Bar=29 psi)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tarmac
No one addressed this, if this is true, why does the GMS1 push max boost to 27 psi?

Also, what is the actual range for the 2 Bar MAP sensors to read accurately? (2 Bar=29 psi)
GM stage 1 still has turbo overspeed protection built into it so although it can be tuned to spike 27-28 lbs in the midrange, it will not hold more than 22-23 psi up top to protect the turbo from spinning too fast. The factory sensors are 2.5 bar (36.5 psi absolute) so they read up to 36.5-14.6 = 21.9 psi guage The GM stage 1 sensors are 3 bar (43.8 psi absolute) so they read up to 43.8-14.6 = 29.2 psi guage.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tarmac

Originally Posted by Terminator2
GM stage 1 still has turbo overspeed protection built into it so although it can be tuned to spike 27-28 lbs in the midrange, it will not hold more than 22-23 psi up top to protect the turbo from spinning too fast. The factory sensors are 2.5 bar (36.5 psi absolute) so they read up to 36.5-14.6 = 21.9 psi guage The GM stage 1 sensors are 3 bar (43.8 psi absolute) so they read up to 43.8-14.6 = 29.2 psi guage.
^this

Remember that the pressure rating for the sensors is absolute pressure, meaning that they include the outdoor pressure too (~14.7psi @ sea level). As Terminator explained, you have to subtract the ~14.7psi in order to back out what boost pressure (pressure above outdoor pressure) they'll be able to read.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Ah that makes sense, didn't realize that was an absolute pressure rating! Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM

I had a quick question about the Trifecta tune.

It is something that definitely is of interest to me, my question is does a certified dealer have to do the tune? I looked at the dealers they have listed on their website and the closest one in Ontario is about 5.5 hours away from me.

For someone with limited knowledge about how to tune a vehicle is it possible to tune the cobalt?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

You can do it yourself.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitey_rolls
I had a quick question about the Trifecta tune.

It is something that definitely is of interest to me, my question is does a certified dealer have to do the tune? I looked at the dealers they have listed on their website and the closest one in Ontario is about 5.5 hours away from me.

For someone with limited knowledge about how to tune a vehicle is it possible to tune the cobalt?
It is NOT NECESSARY to have somebody else install the Trifecta tune. You can deal directly with Vince at Trifecta. He will send you the tune and lend you a device to install it with. It is pretty basic stuff. After the install, and iF you buy the cable, you can hook up your laptop and datalog the ECU, send Vince the data via email, he will review it and let you know everything is good to go or send you tweeks to get your particular vehicle to the top of the heap. If you want custom tuning he will work with you. It's really a pretty good deal. If you PREFER somebody, a dealer, do the work for you that's OK too. The back yard mechanic should be more than capable of installing it himself. Of course this is only MYhumble opinion.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
It is NOT NECESSARY to have somebody else install the Trifecta tune. You can deal directly with Vince at Trifecta. He will send you the tune and lend you a device to install it with. It is pretty basic stuff. After the install, and iF you buy the cable, you can hook up your laptop and datalog the ECU, send Vince the data via email, he will review it and let you know everything is good to go or send you tweeks to get your particular vehicle to the top of the heap. If you want custom tuning he will work with you. It's really a pretty good deal. If you PREFER somebody, a dealer, do the work for you that's OK too. The back yard mechanic should be more than capable of installing it himself. Of course this is only MYhumble opinion.
Thanks for the info, I knew Trifecta would sent out pre calibrated tunes for other vehicles and the prices are listed on the website. For the cobalt it sends you to that dealer page which kind of confused me.

I won't be getting one until next spring but I'm trying to get my facts straight before hand. btw, what's he usually cost for the cobalts (the stealth tune to around 22 psi)? Since I see the other vehicles do have a fair range for pricing.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by whitey_rolls
Thanks for the info, I knew Trifecta would sent out pre calibrated tunes for other vehicles and the prices are listed on the website. For the cobalt it sends you to that dealer page which kind of confused me.

I won't be getting one until next spring but I'm trying to get my facts straight before hand. btw, what's he usually cost for the cobalts (the stealth tune to around 22 psi)? Since I see the other vehicles do have a fair range for pricing.
The best advice I can give you is to follow the directions on Trifectas website. All sales to Cobalt owners goes through CIA (Clear Image Automotive). I don't know why just that's the way it works. The prices vary depending on how you order. You can call and talk to Vince at Trifecta. He is an easy guy to talk to and won't try to sell you something you don't want or need. And he offers a couple of different ways to buy his product. I HIGHLY recommend buying the installation cable and using that to download the program and install it onto your car. Then you will still have the ability to datalog and have Vince review and/or update your tune in the future. That's NOT absolutely NECESSARY but is a nice option to have in the future. Case in point. I did a High Performance Driving Experience at Homestead/Miami Speedway this past weekend and had Vince take a look at my tune before the event to make sure what I had in the ECU was compatable with that type of activity. He said I was good to go and GO is what I DID! If you've never done a HPDE you're really missing out on a GREAT experience. I entered the track at 66 years of age and left at 45. I can still TASTE the adrenaline. Go with Trifecta. You'll thank me later.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 AM

Did you take a video??
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM

The best advice I can give you is to follow the directions on Trifectas website. All sales to Cobalt owners goes through CIA (Clear Image Automotive). I don't know why just that's the way it works. The prices vary depending on how you order. You can call and talk to Vince at Trifecta. He is an easy guy to talk to and won't try to sell you something you don't want or need. And he offers a couple of different ways to buy his product. I HIGHLY recommend buying the installation cable and using that to download the program and install it onto your car. Then you will still have the ability to datalog and have Vince review and/or update your tune in the future. That's NOT absolutely NECESSARY but is a nice option to have in the future. Case in point. I did a High Performance Driving Experience at Homestead/Miami Speedway this past weekend and had Vince take a look at my tune before the event to make sure what I had in the ECU was compatable with that type of activity. He said I was good to go and GO is what I DID! If you've never done a HPDE you're really missing out on a GREAT experience. I entered the track at 66 years of age and left at 45. I can still TASTE the adrenaline. Go with Trifecta. You'll thank me later.
ur 66 ?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kildore
Did you take a video??
I had Rubed up a camera mount but was too embarrased to let anybody see it plus after my first session I really didn't want anybody to watch me make a fool out of myself. We all want to think we are the worlds best drivers. But even after 30 years of watching every idiotic move on the "big show" through the windshield of a big truck I quickly realized I still have a LOT to learn. I'm signed up for Sebring next month though and plan on having a "store bought" camera mount and maybe a new camera.

You make "66" sound like I should be encased in a sarcophagus inside a pyramid. Like I said. I picked up 20 years, or so, on the track.

I HIGHLY recommend a HPDE. At the very least it will humble you and make you a better driver. The fact that a $400,000 Ferrari race car was totally destroyed while I was there brought home the seriousness of motor sports. I do have video of that car but being computer challenged as I am I'm having a hard time figuring out how to post it. Give me time. I'll get it sooner or later.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM

I do good tunes as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM

I do good tunes as well.
I know! I'm not beating up on you. Just offering one of many options. One that worked for ME. I have no doubt that with a "personal TUNER" a customers results could be better. But then again? You have a great rep here on the forum with a wide following and have helped a bunch of people with your experience and knowlege. We all thank you. You may yet hear from me some day. I'm only a 100 miles from you.

I stand by my comments on the HPDE. Contact Chin Motorsports for info. My heart rate is just now going below 120. Thank God for heart bypass surgery.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM

would you rec me getting re-tuned for getting a dejon SRI intake.. and charge piping?? i already had vince tune me for my k&n intake filter/mod.. and everything else i have.. just curious..
Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by CatchMeIFyouCAN
would you rec me getting re-tuned for getting a dejon SRI intake.. and charge piping?? i already had vince tune me for my k&n intake filter/mod.. and everything else i have.. just curious..
Yes that intake will make the car run rich unless you tune for it.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM

hmm

so theres a huge difference between the sri intake and just a K&N intake filter?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 PM

so theres a huge difference between the sri intake and just a K&N intake filter?
Yeah, the whole rest of the intake solution.

Not being sarcastic really either: The angles/bends, flow characteristics, pipe diameter, pipe length, and even pipe material to a point all make a difference.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 AM

yeah i know that.. but

Originally Posted by Stamina
Yeah, the whole rest of the intake solution.

Not being sarcastic really either: The angles/bends, flow characteristics, pipe diameter, pipe length, and even pipe material to a point all make a difference.
i meant as in if i need it tuned since i have the trifecta tune for k&n....
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 AM

u still do yes, as stated above.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM

It'd still be a yes. I needed to be retuned between my K&N drop-in and K&N SRI.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Yes, the fuel trims are way different between the drop in K&N and the K&N SRI.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

LNF Turbo Up Grade Kit

I've been thinking about the LNF turbo upgrade for my 2008 SS/TC. With the new tune the torque is supposed to increase to 320 lb-ft. I was reading on wikipedia, that the F35 transmission that comes stock with the car is rated for 260 lb-ft.

Here the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F35_%28MU3%29_transmission

Has anyone had any problems with their transmission after they have gotten this new tune or any aftermarket tune?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All You Need to Know About Different Tunes