Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   breaking in new lnf motor 2009 (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/breaking-new-lnf-motor-2009-a-170132/)

Sachemhockey44 05-07-2009 10:28 PM

breaking in new lnf motor 2009

hey guys my buddy is getting a 2009 turbo balt this weekend and he asked me to ask you guys what is the breakin procedure that is proper.... thanks

EXsoccer1921 05-07-2009 10:29 PM

non agressive driving on a mixture of city and highway driving. if i'm not mistaken....

09CobaltSS1 05-07-2009 10:51 PM

You're gonna get about 1,000 different oppinions on this one. Some claim it's broken in from the factory, some say don't drive it easy just drive it like you normally would, and others will suggest like EXsoccer to take it easy. Personally I broke mine in by more or less taking it easy for the first few hundred mils but still got on it every now and again just to start seating the rings. How ever I didn't take it past 4500 rpms. From maybe 300-1000 miles or so I drove it even harder but still and didn't bring the rpms over 5,000 and only in short bursts still staying clear of the redline and didn't race it. Then after 1000 miles the motor should be pretty well broken in. If you do decide to take it easy, just don't overly baby it for too long. You can actually do damage if you drive it super light for an extended period, then start driving the piss out of it. But this is yet another of the 1,000 oppinions you will probably get.

KillerBee 05-07-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1 (Post 3841079)
You're gonna get about 1,000 different oppinions on this one. Some claim it's broken in from the factory, some say don't drive it easy just drive it like you normally would, and others will suggest like EXsoccer to take it easy. Personally I broke mine in by more or less taking it easy for the first few hundred mils but still got on it every now and again just to start seating the rings. How ever I didn't take it past 4500 rpms. From maybe 300-1000 miles or so I drove it even harder but still and didn't bring the rpms over 5,000 and only in short bursts still staying clear of the redline and didn't race it. Then after 1000 miles the motor should be pretty well broken in. If you do decide to take it easy, just don't overly baby it for too long. You can actually do damage if you drive it super light for an extended period, then start driving the piss out of it. But this is yet another of the 1,000 oppinions you will probably get.

This is how i break mine in the same way you do!

damien 05-07-2009 11:04 PM

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Thank me later

IamtheCobaltian 05-07-2009 11:27 PM

I bought my SC with 295 horses on it I hope somebody beat on it before the first twenty miles. I know I did the guy who bought the new TC I test drove has a perfectly worn in seal. They let me beat the shit out of those new cars when I go test them for fun.

Sachemhockey44 05-08-2009 12:39 AM

How can you tell if the seal is worn in correctly?? and you have a ss/sc wit 295whp??

damien 05-08-2009 08:47 AM

Not supposed to "beat the shit" out of it, but drive aggresively yes.

I followed those steps and I pull more vacuum at idle than when I bought the car brand new and after the first rebuild. Good vacuum is a healthy motor.

metroplex 05-08-2009 09:01 AM

Drive it like you stole it is the basic answer. It's best if you can leave 2 smoking rubber lines in front of the dealership.

The manual says to vary the engine speed. Drive it anywhere between 1000 RPM to 6000 RPM!

Eddie 05-08-2009 09:32 AM

i typically take it easy for about 500-1000miles, just drive like a normal human being. dont rev past like 3500, then after about 1000 miles or so, change oil. then start toying with it a bit. an occasional redline run. but in like 3rd so i dont risk hitting rev limiter in 1st since 1st typically spins real quick.

widowedeight 05-08-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sachemhockey44 (Post 3840946)
hey guys my buddy is getting a 2009 turbo balt this weekend and he asked me to ask you guys what is the breakin procedure that is proper.... thanks

just drive like a normal person until you hit about 1000 miles..... than break it in like you want to drive it...... trust me i'm about 300 miles away from 30k on my 08 lnf :) ss/tc ftw

Originally Posted by damien (Post 3842642)
Not supposed to "beat the shit" out of it, but drive aggresively yes.

I followed those steps and I pull more vacuum at idle than when I bought the car brand new and after the first rebuild. Good vacuum is a healthy motor.

so i'm at about 23 in vac........ that means my motor is healthy?

damien 05-08-2009 10:39 AM

Yes, but I don't know what the TC typically shows for vacuum.

PimpLay2 05-08-2009 10:55 AM

drive it like any turbo vehicle!!! fast!!!!!!!

metroplex 05-08-2009 10:59 AM

I don't have a vacuum gauge either.

Force 05-08-2009 11:01 AM

I swear some people are retarded... The manual is very clear about the break-in procedure. GM engineers didn't waste that page in the booklet for fun, it's there for a reason.

Every time I see that website linked above I want to throttle someone... Seriously, some of you guys think that's legit? :lol:

widowedeight 05-08-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex (Post 3842903)
I don't have a vacuum gauge either.

are you serious?....... if so than wtf..... vac. is shown on your boost gauge...

umrdyldo 05-08-2009 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by widowedeight (Post 3842920)
are you serious?....... if so than wtf..... vac. is shown on your boost gauge...

Maybe he has RPD and it doesn't show it?

damien 05-08-2009 11:11 AM

All engines are ran at the factory before it leaves. That's the real break in process.

widowedeight 05-08-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo (Post 3842939)
Maybe he has RPD and it doesn't show it?

wait so rpd shows hp, tq, boost and no vac....... fucking weak lol

wow i just googled it..... it shows EVERYTHING except vac...... fucking weak lol

mr84monte 05-08-2009 11:16 AM

I always take the easy break in approach and all my cars owned from new seem to last forever and not have problems and use no oil .The used cars I've bought all seem to have issues, use oil, and I have no idea how they were broke in. But answers like the ones here are the reasons I'll never buy a used performance car....AND of course this is just my opinion and the way I break in a car. The day I read in a new car manual from the manufacture "drive it hard for the first 1000 miles" then I might reconsider, but until then I'll take a car with less power because I easily broke it in. Isn't that what aftermarket parts are for?

My idea is that engines wear out no matter what, and have you ever changed oil on a new car? The first couple I did you can clearly see metal shavings, this is normal, My guess is that with hard driving during this time you would see even more shavings so my thought is that more shavings the more worn in it is = less time before it's wore out. Again just my opinion, my 2 cents, what have you. Maybe I'm being "old school"

crypticscifer 05-08-2009 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by damien (Post 3842947)
All engines are ran at the factory before it leaves. That's the real break in process.

If we take this statement into consideration and align it with this thought, Hhhh let's build a car and TRUST that the new owner will break it in right and it wont have any issues..

OR

We take this statement into consideration and align it with this thought, Let's run each engine to our accepted break in period to know that the seals are made. And then when the customer comes in for warranty work we know it's legit.

You do that math.

NarutoDF 05-08-2009 11:48 AM

i wouldt normaly go over 5k rpms but getting onto the highway ramps i would give some. Just dont baby it i guess but dont beet it up. Level it out kinda. And i would change the oil around 2500-3000miles instead of 5000 for the first oil change. after the firt oil change id say beet the crap out of it if you want.

Permafried- 05-08-2009 11:55 AM

I flopped between normal and spirited driving but always followed the recommendations in the manual. The important things to avoid are full throttle starts from a dead stop and driving at the same RPM range for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what my vacuum is at when idle but besides the occasional RPM and vacuum fluctuation at startup (this car seems to run the start sequence idle longer than most other vehicles) the car runs like a champ.

1badBlueberrySC 05-08-2009 11:58 AM

I did 500 miles of easy driving, and then the next 500 miles like I would normally drive the car!

At 1000 miles change the oil and enjoy the car! :)

Permafried- 05-08-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1badBlueberrySC (Post 3843161)
I did 500 miles of easy driving, and then the next 500 miles like I would normally drive the car!

At 1000 miles change the oil and enjoy the car! :)

Right, the oil change. I'm waiting for 5000km which is just around the corner before I go in. I intend to get some "harder miles" on the car as soon as I find time to randomly bounce on and off the freeway since that's the only place I can redline 2nd and 3rd :(. After that oil change then to the strip...time to give the car a kick in the pants :lol:.