2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Broken shifter linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken shifter linkage?

This one really choked me last night, i was out drivin around and decided to try the no lift shift, 1st try seemed to work ok from 2nd to 3rd, but 3rd to 4th didn't work so well.......i suddenly lost 2nd/4th/Reverse gears. Thinking something maybe just popped loose i pulled off the front cup holders and sure enough, the right side linkage was out of place. I pushed it back into place and everything worked fine, so later i tried 3rd to 4th no lift shift and again the linkage popped out on me..........at this point i'm kinda like very much not impressed there...................so far my 1st thought...........zip ties........anyone else?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make certain that it really clips into the cables. You can get it to **** and work fine for a while without it really securely clipped in.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Yeah, it sounds like it's just not holding like it should. I've no-lifted numerous times 1st through 4th and never had the linkage separate.

Bondo!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
Make certain that it really clips into the cables. You can get it to **** and work fine for a while without it really securely clipped in.
It was dark and all i had for light was my blackberry screen. I will take a good look tonight with proper lighting and ensure it's all secured down........if it happens again i'm either taking it for warrenty or im zip tieing the 2 cables together and to something else below it, even if i have to drill a fuking hole somewhere, i dun want this happening again

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Yeah, it sounds like it's just not holding like it should. I've no-lifted numerous times 1st through 4th and never had the linkage separate.

Bondo!
1st to 2nd eh? how well have those been for u? just to 100% confirm, you dun need comp mode for it to work rite? Far as i know, comp mode is only for launch control ect.

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 10-15-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
It was dark and all i had for light was my blackberry screen. I will take a good look tonight with proper lighting and ensure it's all secured down........if it happens again i'm either taking it for warrenty or im zip tieing the 2 cables together and to something else below it, even if i have to drill a fuking hole somewhere, i dun want this happening again

1st to 2nd eh? how well have those been for u? just to 100% confirm, you dun need comp mode for it to work rite? Far as i know, comp mode is only for launch control ect.
You should have comp mode turned on for launch control and no lift shift...didn't you get the insert with your manual? This has been discussed 1,000 times on here....
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TrevMo
You should have comp mode turned on for launch control and no lift shift...didn't you get the insert with your manual? This has been discussed 1,000 times on here....
.........it'll take me some time, but i know for a fact someone on here said u don't need comp mode for noliftshift..........
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM

.........it'll take me some time, but i know for a fact someone on here said u don't need comp mode for noliftshift..........
GM says otherwise....and I trust my warranty holder not some idiot on a car site....
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM

1st to 2nd eh? how well have those been for u?
Just a nice little chirp.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM

GM says otherwise....and I trust my warranty holder not some idiot on a car site....
ya i haven't really done much reading in the manual yet, that's my problem right there, does the display show something about noliftshift when u use it?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 PM

ya i haven't really done much reading in the manual yet, that's my problem right there, does the display show something about noliftshift when u use it?
Just so you know...the regular manual doesn't come with info on the launch control and no lift shift...I got a one page insert with it that explained it a bit...I know some folks did not get one...

I am thinking someone was going to scan it and put it up here, but I have never seen it...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Just so you know...the regular manual doesn't come with info on the launch control and no lift shift...I got a one page insert with it that explained it a bit...I know some folks did not get one...

I am thinking someone was going to scan it and put it up here, but I have never seen it...
well, lol no time like the present to scan it or take pics of it and post it up
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM

I didnt get one with my manual, but I no lift shift 1st to 2nd, then to 3rd, then to 4th all the time. Never had problems, and I don't believe that is worng I have read that some people say you can't but I have done it. If I shouldn't then please someone tell us or provide the proof! I don't want to break my car LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
No-lift should be done as close to redline as possible, and you do not need to be in comp-mode to do it. Car gives you .2-.3 seconds to complete the shift, so it may take a few tries before you get it down.

As for comp mode itself, other than what you noted, I believe it backs off the stability control, but definitely does not disable it. If you want to turn everything off (not advisable), hold the button down for 10 seconds. DIC will flash "ESC OFF". Only time I used this was on a dyno, as the car systems were going haywire with the fronts rolling free and the rears still.
you say u dun need comp mode?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM

NO lift shifting has nothing to do with linkages poping off.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM

I would warranty that sob.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you BANGING the gears or clean smoooooth shifts.......
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by thehov
Are you BANGING the gears or clean smoooooth shifts.......
i've always been clean in my shifting but maybe i got nervous trying the noliftshift and didn't quite shift as nicely
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM

same thing happened to me

i put zip ties on both of them... only 1 broke... but i put zip ties on both... havent had a problem since
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by PimpLay2
same thing happened to me

i put zip ties on both of them... only 1 broke... but i put zip ties on both... havent had a problem since
wat did u tie them to? i haven't had a good look yet to see if there is anything good tie it down to, i was thinking about tieing both together and to something else but u say you've got a single tie on each cable? how thick of tie did u use?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done the no lift with out comp mod as well, works perfectly every time. My SS/SC didn't come with the no lift **** feature but some how I did like most people who race in tons of other cars. Maybe if you are horrible at shifting you need to use the comp mods computer assistance. Power shifting is nothing new and can be done with out help from the computer. As far as zip ties I wouldn't do it as a permanent fix, I would recommend taking it into the dealer. Its a new car take advantage of the warranty.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 PM

I did that...zip ties work great!!!!! had the shop check it, they said that was fine for now
Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 AM

wat did u tie them to? i haven't had a good look yet to see if there is anything good tie it down to, i was thinking about tieing both together and to something else but u say you've got a single tie on each cable? how thick of tie did u use?
yep 2 seperate zip ties...

go to a hardware store and get the 2 smallest zip ties... they are real skinny
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM

i'm gunna skip the zip ties till it popped out again, i have it clicked in properly now and we'll see how it goes from here, tried noliftshift a few more times tonight and it worked ok
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM

This one really choked me last night, i was out drivin around and decided to try the no lift shift, 1st try seemed to work ok from 2nd to 3rd, but 3rd to 4th didn't work so well.......i suddenly lost 2nd/4th/Reverse gears. Thinking something maybe just popped loose i pulled off the front cup holders and sure enough, the right side linkage was out of place. I pushed it back into place and everything worked fine, so later i tried 3rd to 4th no lift shift and again the linkage popped out on me..........at this point i'm kinda like very much not impressed there...................so far my 1st thought...........zip ties........anyone else?
mines in the shop for the samething right now......
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM

This happened to me too during REGULAR driving and shifting. Make sure to snap it back in place. I havn't had a problem since...but I don't drive it terribly hard since it's the DD and still under 5K miles

Quick Reply: Broken shifter linkage?