GMPP clutch not for LNF? - Cobalt SS Network

2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

GMPP clutch not for LNF?

Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 03-27-11
Location: butler,pa
Posts: 668
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
GMPP clutch not for LNF?

I was looking up a part number for a GMPP clutch to help someone here. I ran one for 2 years with up to 432HP with no problems, but with my new setup, presumably near 500hp it met its match. I found the part number, and it now says "(*Do not use this kit for LNF vehicles) ". I dont remember it ever specifically saying not to use it on LNF's. Any idea what thats about?

Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit 19212712
cw383 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Posts: 3,883
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
afaik GM just can't recommend it because it came out before the LNF. It fits and functions perfectly fine.
armcclure is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-13-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,113
Thanked 261 Times in 246 Posts
It's had that warning for quite awhile. Mine had it when I got it 2 years ago and has been a great clutch so far.
63 Nova SS is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,253
Thanked 371 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
It's had that warning for quite awhile. Mine had it when I got it 2 years ago and has been a great clutch so far.
I thought you had one for longer than that.

iirc Tom said it was due to the fact GM would void the warranty if it was used on the LNF, at least the part warranty, not sure if it was voiding the power-train warranty (although that doesn't apply anymore).
ECaulk is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 03-27-11
Location: butler,pa
Posts: 668
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Wasn't it CED that actually showed using a chopped up Bic pen to align the dowels on an LNF flywheel?
cw383 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,253
Thanked 371 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by cw383 View Post
Wasn't it CED that actually showed using a chopped up Bic pen to align the dowels on an LNF flywheel?
It's possible they posted it up, but from a CYA standpoint they had it on their sales page for a long time.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 01-10-11
Posts: 3,883
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cw383 View Post
Wasn't it CED that actually showed using a chopped up Bic pen to align the dowels on an LNF flywheel?
You have to do the same thing on the LSJ; 6mm pins in 8mm holes. In reality though if you work the pressure plate bolts down like you're tightening a wheel it centers itself up.
armcclure is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:09 AM
  #8  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by armcclure View Post
You have to do the same thing on the LSJ; 6mm pins in 8mm holes. In reality though if you work the pressure plate bolts down like you're tightening a wheel it centers itself up.
The guide was designed for LSJ users as uses stock LNF pressure plate which uses the bigger pin holes. I am 100% sure not many have used or even seen the stock LNF flywheel in the past 2 years as it's gone up in price so much no one buys it. I found a good deal on one and snagged it. My OEM LNF clutch kit fit snugly without needing the BIC pen.

That being said the GMPP clutch kit with ZZP flywheel (and new hardware for flywheel at minimum) is the most solid <$600 clutch kit out there. Properly ramped tune will help make it last longer.
ThePanduuh is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
  #9  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-29-18
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yup, you are all correct.
The GMPP clutch was designed for the LSJ originally. Customers have been using them on the LNF as well.
The warranty issue was the reason I suggested it only be used for the LSJ.
CobaltPartsStore is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 PM
  #10  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltPartsStore View Post
Yup, you are all correct.
The GMPP clutch was designed for the LSJ originally. Customers have been using them on the LNF as well.
The warranty issue was the reason I suggested it only be used for the LSJ.
and warranty is only good if installed by GM and NOBODY is paying GM in this day and age to install a clutch. So warranty is already void already. I should have gone GMPP when I did my clutch.

PS are Powell CABs pre pressed into LNF arms still available through you? Need to tell people where to go!
ThePanduuh is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 PM
  #11  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-29-18
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh View Post
and warranty is only good if installed by GM and NOBODY is paying GM in this day and age to install a clutch. So warranty is already void already. I should have gone GMPP when I did my clutch.

PS are Powell CABs pre pressed into LNF arms still available through you? Need to tell people where to go!
I am not set up to do them just yet, I am hoping to a month or so down the road though.

CobaltPartsStore is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM
  #12  
New Member
 
Join Date: 04-04-14
Location: quakertown pa
Posts: 83
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePanduuh View Post
The guide was designed for LSJ users as uses stock LNF pressure plate which uses the bigger pin holes. I am 100% sure not many have used or even seen the stock LNF flywheel in the past 2 years as it's gone up in price so much no one buys it. I found a good deal on one and snagged it. My OEM LNF clutch kit fit snugly without needing the BIC pen.

That being said the GMPP clutch kit with ZZP flywheel (and new hardware for flywheel at minimum) is the most solid <$600 clutch kit out there. Properly ramped tune will help make it last longer.
hopefully my 2nd one last longer then the current one haha.
06cobaltss/ss is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-27-11
Location: STL
Posts: 511
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry, I just want to make sure, so the kit works in the LNF, with the LNF flywheel or a ZZP flywheel for an LNF?
r1owner is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM
  #14  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 01-26-16
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 353
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by r1owner View Post
Sorry, I just want to make sure, so the kit works in the LNF, with the LNF flywheel or a ZZP flywheel for an LNF?
either one. The OEM lnf flywheel is $600ish last time I checked. If you get the ZZP flywheel it has smaller dowel pins so when torquing the pressure plate down, you’ll need to put the BIC pen shell to help center the pressure plate on the dowel pins. Should be able to find pictures online. But I think explaining makes sense?
link to pictures on CED old site. Order from zzp or oempartsdepot.com

Images of Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit 19212712
ThePanduuh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePanduuh For This Useful Post:
r1owner (01-24-2019)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Dart_SI
Drivetrain
106
06-19-2017 01:08 PM
Sonicyeller
Parts
10
11-18-2014 02:26 AM
serega12
Drivetrain
28
03-05-2013 01:38 PM
ionit2004
Parts
12
06-14-2012 08:44 PM
Bluelightning
Drag Racing
6
10-01-2011 02:37 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GMPP clutch not for LNF?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.