Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   GMS1 not in a kit? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/gms1-not-kit-294621/)

GreenySC2 03-08-2013 06:13 PM

GMS1 not in a kit?

Is it possible to get the sensors, o-rings etc outside of the kit? and then get the GM tune also?

i have connections to a GM parts, and Tech II, MDI, all the things they could/would/do use on these cars...

Cause i want the GMS1 but i dont want to shell out $$$ for it if i dont have to..

SSSnoop 03-08-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by GreenySC2 (Post 6958792)
Is it possible to get the sensors, o-rings etc outside of the kit? and then get the GM tune also?

i have connections to a GM parts, and Tech II, MDI, all the things they could/would/do use on these cars...

Cause i want the GMS1 but i dont want to shell out $$$ for it if i dont have to..

I'd source the sensors separately, then HPTune/Trifecta, and forget GMS1; you'll be money and horsepower ahead.

GreenySC2 03-08-2013 06:23 PM

so if i bought all the sensors, etc then installed them and aftermarket tune(at the same time) i'll actually gain more in the end? i mean yeah i was planning on going trifecta select-a-tune eventually... but if i can get the right stuff to access the tune(GM) i can do that fooooo freee most likely

emiller 03-08-2013 06:24 PM

You can tune without the upgraded sensors too.

GreenySC2 03-08-2013 06:38 PM

eh yeah i know, the main part i really liked about the GMS1 outside of the sensors being better... was the removal of the Learn Down program thing

tomj77 03-08-2013 06:59 PM

I don't think it actually does remove it. but idk ask gms1 guys. but trifecta select a tune with or without sensors nets u quite a bit more power

GreenySC2 03-08-2013 07:01 PM

Cobalt 2008-2010 HP & Torque ratings:
280HP @ 4,700 RPM
320 lb,-ft of torque @ 4,300 RPM
Kit disables "learn down feature"
This performance upgrade maintains no-lift shift feature on Cobalts and HHR's and adds it for the Solstice/Sky.

hah yeah, i mean i get the fact gsm1 isnt oh my wow! in terms of bang for buck, but if i can source everything and get it for a real fraction of the price why not, cant hurt in the long run...

09TcSedan 03-08-2013 07:12 PM

i believe the GMS1 kit comes with a authorization code when you buy the kit. i also have good connections with a dealership but found out you have to buy the kit in order to get the code.

GreenySC2 03-08-2013 08:24 PM

so basically outside of buying the kit as a whole my best bet is to change sensors and go aftermarket tune.....

Shortbus 03-08-2013 08:28 PM

I wouldn't even bother with the sensors right now,get a trifecta/hp tune and don't look back.

SSSnoop 03-08-2013 09:10 PM

I went GMS1 under warranty first, then went "select-a-tune" with trifecta when warranty ended. I like having the upgraded sensors and GMS1 as my "standard" tune for cruising around, then Trifecta when I want to set the car to "rape". You can tune on the standard sensors, but I personally like having the extra range on the new sensors with the aftermarket tune, since I'm planning on additional mods.

If you want to do it with less money, then just do a standard tune and be done with it. You'll probably want to drive with the car set to kill anyway - mine is just for when the wife borrows the car! ;)

SSlobalt 03-08-2013 10:11 PM

If you are not concerned about keeping your warranty, there it's no reason to buy GMS1. Just go Trifects Stealth tune and drive with a smile on your face. $320 and done.

GreenySC2 03-09-2013 03:17 AM

yeah not worried about that.. they offered my another 3yr powertrain when i bought the car and i pretty much told them i'd be modifying the car etc etc so not worried about that...

I was more wondering about the Sensors, the GM canned tune not so much..... i was reading somewhere about they read boost more accurately or something like that?

Iam Broke 03-09-2013 05:55 AM

If you boost over 22 psi, the sensors are a good idea, otherwise the tune is 'out of control'. Outside of the control range of the sensors, basically running away, or open loop.

Best setup is the 3 bar MAP's & a modified stock file tune. The GMPP base tune has more nannies in it that HPTuners can't avoid. Not sure if TF can or not.

GreenySC2 03-09-2013 09:31 AM

say that once more? nannies?

Omiotek 03-09-2013 09:48 AM

The sensors are a cheap mod and can be purchased without buying gms1 from a few companies. If your boosting over 22psi then they are 1005 WORTHWHILE.

SSlobalt 03-09-2013 04:57 PM

If you are going to get the sensors, I recommend doing what I did and buy the adapters from Crate Engine Depot. Sure, they're expensive.............but they're worth every penny.

GreenySC2 03-09-2013 05:16 PM

what adapters?

Sox-Fan 03-09-2013 05:37 PM

The sensors come with no plugs. You have to solder them. People here have experienced issues with that. solder - weather.... You can imagine. Crate Engine Depot sells a set of plug and play adapters. It makes the job easy, especially the lower one.

Sox-Fan 03-09-2013 05:43 PM

Actually let me clarify, the GMS1 kit sensors don't match the plugs in the wiring harness on your car. It comes with an unterminated wire pigtail.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Asse...2670_large.jpg

CED carries an adapter pig tail.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Asse...670H_large.jpg

You can buy the sensors and o-rings separately for less money than the kit, then buy the adapters and be ahead of the game with a cleaner install.

09TcSedan 03-09-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan (Post 6959557)
Actually let me clarify, the GMS1 kit sensors don't match the plugs in the wiring harness on your car. It comes with an unterminated wire pigtail.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Asse...2670_large.jpg

CED carries an adapter pig tail.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Asse...670H_large.jpg

You can buy the sensors and o-rings separately for less money than the kit, then buy the adapters and be ahead of the game with a cleaner install.

x2 of the plug and play adapters.

SSSnoop 03-09-2013 08:02 PM

My 02 - if you are looking to stealth tune, the GMS1 makes a great "base" tune, with the TF tune for when you want to push the trac button. I don't know if TF will give you both an improved base tune and a stealth tune - that would be the real win, if that could happen with a reasonable price tag on it.

The improved range sensors are great for anybody who's subsequently modding beyond stock - whether you get the terminated stuff or if you take the time to solder your own. Like I said, I have the GMS1, and a good quality install on the sensor terminals - I haven't experienced any heartache (yet ;) ).

GreenySC2 03-09-2013 09:34 PM

so what your saying is the adapter pig tail replaces the two plugs with free wires in the first picture?

SSSnoop 03-09-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by GreenySC2 (Post 6959784)
so what your saying is the adapter pig tail replaces the two plugs with free wires in the first picture?

I have to double check, but I think my install has the adapter still in place - the original sensors were cut in front of the pigtail and the splices occurring ahead of the plug.

Sox-Fan 03-09-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by GreenySC2 (Post 6959784)

Yes.

Since the plugs on the GMS1 maps don't match the plugs on the original maps the kits gives you a new plug for each map, that have loose wire end. You're supposed to cut your original plugs off the harness, then replace them by soldering in the new plugs provided.

nobody wants to cut up the harness if they don't have to, right?

The adapters make for a no cutting, no soldering install. You plug one end into the original plug, and the other end into the new map sensor and you are done. plug and play. can't get easier.