Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   LNF Head Removal Prodedure (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/lnf-head-removal-prodedure-296736/)

T-Man 04-23-2013 04:15 PM

LNF Head Removal Prodedure

Does anyone have a write-up available for the LNF head removal procedure? Trying to put together a parts list of what will need to be replaced (head gasket, head bolts obviously).

Want to remove the head and dissassemble, clean and re-assemble.

TIA :cool:

FF_ace 04-23-2013 05:01 PM

Dont have a write up done it a couple times... If its off get the arp head bolts, cam bolts, new tensioner. I know crate engine depot has a lnf timing kit but its pricey. Youll also need new injector seals, I have the tool to instale them. Also look into performance autowerks phenolic spacer mine works well

hucks1987 04-23-2013 09:48 PM

It's pretty straight forward, just remember. There are 10 head bolts, and then 4 more around the timing chain, got alittle snag there when I did mine.

If your going that far, get the arp stud kit and valve springs, I have a brand new set of stockerd if you want them.

Gaskets get all new ones

T-Man 04-25-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by FF_ace (Post 7013033)
Dont have a write up done it a couple times... If its off get the arp head bolts, cam bolts, new tensioner. I know crate engine depot has a lnf timing kit but its pricey. Youll also need new injector seals, I have the tool to instale them. Also look into performance autowerks phenolic spacer mine works well

Thanks Nick. Appreciate it buddy! I'll most likely take you up on the offer for the injector seals. Getting the itch to run this car on ethanol.

Originally Posted by hucks1987 (Post 7013418)
It's pretty straight forward, just remember. There are 10 head bolts, and then 4 more around the timing chain, got alittle snag there when I did mine.

If your going that far, get the arp stud kit and valve springs, I have a brand new set of stockerd if you want them.

Gaskets get all new ones

Thanks Hucks.

I've decided rather than pull the head and go through the hassle, I'm going to just go in through the IM and clean things up. Maybe even do a how-to write up. ;)

Nfamous60 04-25-2013 05:16 PM

ill be removing my head this entire weekend man... i'll try and do a write up but its will be long drawn out since its my first on this car.

FF_ace 04-25-2013 10:58 PM

Yai need to clean my valves up as well.my valve seals are leaking too. I was thinking about picking up a spare headand send it out to euthanasia for a port job idk though... I need a built trans

08SS/TCPssshhh 07-11-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FF_ace (Post 7016680)
Yai need to clean my valves up as well.my valve seals are leaking too. I was thinking about picking up a spare headand send it out to euthanasia for a port job idk though... I need a built trans

any write ups yet?

wgr73 08-05-2013 01:04 PM

Wondering this too...

Cobe 08-26-2014 09:38 PM

Bump. Any write ups yet lol

Omiotek 08-27-2014 02:08 AM

i hate to say it but if you have to ask for a write up on the head on a forum then this job is probablly out of your comfort zone and its probablly not the best idea to do with out the help of a professional mechanic at your side. although its not an extremely hard job timing the seems to be just about where everyone screws up and breaks something. also it seems guys dont set the tensioners right.

your best bet is to get a service manual or download mitchells it will be better help then a forum will be for the most part. there seems to be a lot of "knowledge" here with some people. also you need a engine support brace or atleast a jack and piece of wood to hold the motor when your taking the timing side of things off.

SINISTER 09-01-2014 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek (Post 7396311)
i hate to say it but if you have to ask for a write up on the head on a forum then this job is probablly out of your comfort zone and its probablly not the best idea to do with out the help of a professional mechanic at your side. although its not an extremely hard job timing the seems to be just about where everyone screws up and breaks something. also it seems guys dont set the tensioners right.

your best bet is to get a service manual or download mitchells it will be better help then a forum will be for the most part. there seems to be a lot of "knowledge" here with some people. also you need a engine support brace or atleast a jack and piece of wood to hold the motor when your taking the timing side of things off.

I got the service manual for 2010s...

OBO....https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...nd-new-312541/

Omiotek 09-01-2014 01:20 PM

then take your time, label EVERYTHING and go from there. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU RETIME THE MOTOR! if you get pissed off walk away and come back later. just take your time and triple check your work. when you retime the motor turn it around my hand(this can take forever) and ensure 150% its in time. dont forget locktite on the bolts unless your buying all new bolts(which is recommended)

cw383 09-01-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek (Post 7398709)
then take your time, label EVERYTHING and go from there. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU RETIME THE MOTOR! if you get pissed off walk away and come back later. just take your time and triple check your work. when you retime the motor turn it around my hand(this can take forever) and ensure 150% its in time. dont forget locktite on the bolts unless your buying all new bolts(which is recommended)

How many times does it need turned around? I remember reading quite awhile ago, but I cant find it

Omiotek 09-01-2014 10:16 PM

I don't know off hand. I have enough experience timing these to know that rotating it, it will line up. Line all the marks up and ensure they are lined up and Just keep turning till it lines up. It's quite a bit though.

cmiller8006 09-01-2014 11:42 PM

What I do is turn the motor till the cam gears are at 10 and 2 and then pull the head. When it goes back together you can simply rotate the crank to the proper position and your good. Then the chain is very easy to spin around and get the colored links in the proper place. I always take off the front cover to ensure that the timing hasn't moved. Its very easy to be off 1/2 a tooth, and the car will run like shit.