Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Modified RFL Exhaust (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/modified-rfl-exhaust-325785/)

T-Man 02-11-2018 12:42 AM

Modified RFL Exhaust

Pictures and video below

Let me first start out by saying that I think the TXS RFL is absolutely awesome as is and it's perfect for the stock turbo. However, once you go to a larger turbo, the drone becomes overwhelming.

Don't get me wrong, cruising on the street with the windows down, it's awesome! Cruising on the highway at 75-85mph for an extended period of time? Not so much. :lol:

I figured that adding a muffler back into the stock location would be perfect but it would need to be large enough to provide adequate volume to quiet things down and help combat drone/nasty resonance.

I settled on the Magnaflow 12649 - 6" round, 24" long, 3" in/out

The difference is astounding! It will get a little louder I'm sure but right now, at idle, it's deep but very tame. At cruise on the street, it sounds stock. Highway, it's nearly stock. At WOT? Can't even hear the exhaust :lol:

As you can see, it fits perfectly. Sounds pretty good too. I'm very satisfied with how it turned out.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...5ada82b6c3.png

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...e7f7c3ca41.png

RFL exhaust before -

After -

cw383 02-11-2018 10:12 AM

Lol, thats exactly what I did, same muffler and everything! The thing was so damn loud, and when my elderly neighbor came out cause she thought the garbage truck came early it was time for a change. I get compliments all the time how it sounds. Still a bit much with the 4.45 gears at highway speeds, but tolerable.

Snail_SS 02-11-2018 11:08 AM

Haha you pulled the trigger to quiet it down! Sounds good I think I'm going to contact turboxs and see how much jus the axleback part cost

cw383 02-11-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS (Post 7676827)
Haha you pulled the trigger to quiet it down! Sounds good I think I'm going to contact turboxs and see how much jus the axleback part cost

Let me know what they say, I asked them several years ago and they wouldn't sell me a rear only section. I thought I heard someone was able to get one recently but not sure. I would do a straight out the back setup ( like RFL ) for race days. Obviously wouldn't pick up much power. Maybe lose 10lbs, but most important to me sometimes if I get something really loud beside me I cant hear my car well on launch. I'm sure that would help some.

Snail_SS 02-11-2018 02:45 PM

Yeah I'll let you know I heard they would sell it I mean it's more money for them lol so I don't see why not

T-Man 02-11-2018 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cw383 (Post 7676824)
Lol, thats exactly what I did, same muffler and everything! The thing was so damn loud, and when my elderly neighbor came out cause she thought the garbage truck came early it was time for a change. I get compliments all the time how it sounds. Still a bit much with the 4.45 gears at highway speeds, but tolerable.

Haha! Good to know I'm not the only one who just couldn't do it anymore :lol:

I can't imagine how much more drone you had to have had with the 4.45 FD! I'm still rocking my G85 3.82 and the drone is literally non-existent compared to before.

For sure man! I'll be honest. I don't think the GT exhaust is going to help as much as you would want with your 7163 and I think it's not worth the money. This cost me a grand total of $160. TXS quoted me $280 shipped for a GT axle-back.

When I want loud, I can just unbolt the rear section and have a flanged turn down made so that I'm not roasting fuel and brake lines. :)

Snail_SS 02-11-2018 07:07 PM

I mean it's not super loud right now remember I am starting with the FL so I already have the resonators plus adding the muffler should make it better but I still wanna hear something lol

cw383 02-11-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by T-Man (Post 7676869)

When I want loud, I can just unbolt the rear section and have a flanged turn down made so that I'm not roasting fuel and brake lines. :)

Is your turndown flange inside the rear wheel well where the back section bolts on or on the end of the downpipe? I would love to see a picture........

exninja 02-12-2018 12:06 PM

Sounds great!

hawkssoccer11 02-12-2018 02:04 PM

sounds good man!!

double clutch 02-12-2018 02:22 PM

Sounds nice. Mine got a lot louder as well when I upgraded.

T-Man 02-12-2018 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by cw383 (Post 7676873)
Is your turndown flange inside the rear wheel well where the back section bolts on or on the end of the downpipe? I would love to see a picture........

Don't have it done yet but it's on the list. Just an idea I threw out there.

Originally Posted by exninja (Post 7676972)
Sounds great!

Originally Posted by hawkssoccer11 (Post 7676987)
sounds good man!!

Thanks guys. It's definitely gotten a little louder now after driving it a couple days. It's perfect.

Originally Posted by double clutch (Post 7676995)
Sounds nice. Mine got a lot louder as well when I upgraded.

Thanks man. If it's not a DD for you, RFL all day :lol:

CudaJoe 02-26-2018 11:21 AM

Ive seen varying prices when ive asked. $275-305.. depending on the axle back component your looking for. $275 was a quote when I asked for the FL / RFL axle back.

Snail_SS 02-26-2018 12:43 PM

I'll be looking for the GT axle back portion I haven't asked since I have other things I want more right now lol

DFZ24 02-26-2018 09:57 PM

Do you have a resonator? And/or catless?
​​​​​​I want to try something little tiny bit louder 😂.
I'm on Lnf muffler, so it sounds like a catless lnf lol