2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

New 2008 cobalt BOV?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same concept as the SVO. Its pretty much the same other then my is carbed rather then fuel injected. Its a blow thru carb setup and is a pain in the ass to tune and work with for that matter. lol. I'd show some pix but no cobalt guys probably care. lol

Sorry, back to the topic guys.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
there was one guy with an HHR SS running a tune on his that cranked the turbo to 26psi(i believe) and no boost leaks. afr's were all over the place and injectors were waaayy maxed but no boost leak. lol

very true, and sorry your first post just seemed like you were talking down to people. A blow off valve is possible on the SS/TC's but the car will run very rich between shifts and throw the car out of wack...people dont seem to understand this. until suitable tuning becomes available, they're bypass valves will work just fine.
26psi.. Isn't that a little high for pump? I know the DI systems allow cars to run a leaner tune but I'd think the little K04 was just blowing hot air at that psi.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xonic
26psi.. Isn't that a little high for pump? I know the DI systems allow cars to run a leaner tune but I'd think the little K04 was just blowing hot air at that psi.
everything was so off...everything was past efficiency and out of wack, that little k04 is done with at 20psi. he was just happy he dynoed 270+hp with just a tune. it was done so unsafely though. i will see if i can find the thread so you can see the dyno sheets and logs
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Former Vendor

Here's a a link to the system we've developed for LNF in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. We plan to cover Cobalt and HHR next.

Billet Blow-Off Valve System
Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by xonic
here is the thread
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ht=hhr+ss+tune
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Wow...all this fighting on what a BOV really does. and alot of it is false information. Let me educate you all for a second.

A Recirculating valve which comes on most stock turbo'd vehicles acts in the same way a BOV does (essentialy). However instead of the air going up and out making a loud woosh noise, it is recirculated back into the intake stream. Why? Because the air is already metered. Recirculating valves are ideal for both performance and drivability.

Blow off valves let the air up and out into the atmosphere. Making a louder woosh noise.

Now, the main reason for either is to prevent compressor surge. Think of it this way, You got air travelling to the right...which spins the compressor say...down.

Now, without a BOV, your basically going to force slow moving air into it, which will in case slow the compressor down.

BOV's/Recirc Valves only purpose is to allow the turbo to continue to spin, vs stopping suddenly all together.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by PimpLay2
a blow off valve is used for bad situations such as HIGH Speeds about 100-200mph.... also for a turbo running ALOT of boost which the stock SS/TC will not be doing.... but hey if you want to tune it to 20psi then by all means get a blow off valve

let it stay quite man... ppl who race u will be like oh its ure basic cobalt... and then wen u f-in burn them they will be like, "omg did you turbo that?" Its a sleeper man... Wake it up by racing

but if you get a BIGGER turbo... or too much pressure from a high tune boost then definately get a BOV
More then likely they'll be like.... Hey, I knew it was supercharged..! ha

I doubt ppl even know this thing is Turbo'd
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Very nicely writen Turbo06Sedan. That was the point I was trying to get across just didn't word it as nicely. I got a racing ticket for the BOV on my mustang and had to write to the court how it always goes off and why.
And word gets around fast. Most people will know it is turboed. Also you will hear it in the exhaust
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Toobaditsaford
And word gets around fast. Most people will know it is turboed. Also you will hear it in the exhaust
Ive already had several people ask me at lights if its the new turbo'd one, one guy asked me to romp on it so he could hear it! (and as far as I know I am the only one in the raleigh durham area with one) . And that wonderful whine of the turbo under boost..... much different than a supercharger whine.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by da_kage
why does everyone talk about blow off valves all the time? they really aren't that cool, i had an atmospheric greddy type r on my mr2 turbo and the noise gets really annoying and the novelty wears off after about a week.
i believe the LNF doesn't have a BOV, it has a recirculating bypass valve? i stand to be corrected but i'm pretty sure.
Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
with the no lift shift it be pointless anyways you dont wanna lose the pressure
Originally Posted by RForte1189
I'ts a bypass valve, bov is pointless since you want to maintain your boost not release it, why would you want one? Personally, I hate the constant spooling, esp when your in traffic where its sorta moving then not, you hear it spool constantly and I wanted to shoot myself in my friends car every time he went from 0-30 to keep up with traffic.
I agree completely and with your quotes I'm going to make my own statement:

All these people asking about blow-off valves as their first mod need to sell their cars because this car doesn't deserve to be riced out. By using the above quotes as evidence we can easily see that the only purpose a BOV could possibly serve as an initial very first mod -- is to be a ricer *** that makes cool boosted noises to scare other people. Unless you have this thing modded and you can back it up, then stop asking about BOV's. Every post I've seen about them is someone just wanting to know if there is one that "fits". They are never asking which they should get or why for performance reasons. They just wanna know if they can stick one on. We had people asking for them when the SS/SC came out for god's sake -- please stop being so lame. Tune the car, earn the respect, then scare the **** out of everyone because your car sounds mean and can back it up. Your car will sound mean if you do it right. Certain parts that make pretty sounds will become necessary. If all you wanted was "psssssht" -- get a civic, the parts are cheaper and you can make it look as cool as the SS/TC -- and that's all that matters to you anyway.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Ok now. Having a bov isn't ricer. I agree that just putting one on a completely stock car for the sound is stupid. Now I have one on my stang and there hasn't been one person tell me its stupid.

Last edited by Toobaditsaford; 06-06-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Former Vendor

Calling things Gay:

Because anything you don't like inexplicably reminds you of homosexual relations.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JayZ28
It makes sense to want something that makes you faster. It's just plain stupid to want something that makes you slower. An atmospheric BOV will do two things: 1) screw up your AFR because you are blowing off metered air and 2) throw all your boost pressure out the window instead of helping keep the turbo spooled.
But hey, being cool trumps being fast right? Just look at all the fart can sticker racers.
thats why you move the maf post bov
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Former Vendor

Wow, that was SIX homo references in a post that ends with 'ass'. I detect some serious latency in this thread!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toobaditsaford
excuse me... I guess he said you would be a *** for putting one on. ***, gay they go together. The point I was trying to get across is that there are things people like and the guy next to them will hate it. Bitching and telling someone he is a ricer *** for having a bov or even a honda for that matter is just plain immature. There are some cool people out there with different preferences then you. So shooting off your mouth calling people a *** for a bov is stupid. There are many cars out there that have bov's and will tear up the streets... so watch who you call a *** because they might just come back and bite your car in the ass.

so out of this post it reads

***, ***, gay, ***, ***, ***, ass

lol someone has some deep rooted issues about there sexuality...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM

whys everyone gotsta be ****!?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Hey Mr. Hahn any idea when these BOV will be ready cause thats a nice setup for the solstice. Also would it even be beneficial to stock vehicles? If it is would it be beneficial for the auto on the HHR SS?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
who ever said the injectors were maxed on the lnf are way out of the ball park.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BOV maintains the spool by releasing boosted air that would push back in the blades and slow the turbo when you let off the throttle. BOV are not stupid, I think they are cool. I could cruise around town as see plenty of people with Atmo BOV running around in SRT4, Scobbie, Evo's ect. Are they all stupid, no.

To answer the orginal posters question, from the turbos I have seen the Recir valve (same function as a BOV) is built into the cold side housing of the turbo so I don't think you could remove it and add a BOV as easily as some boosted cars. Off course since it's so integrated it probably does a great job of keeping the turbo from surging and losing spool.

Also the post about releasing unmetered air is correct, unless the ECU is able to compensate for a BOV it will have trouble understanding why air passing by the MAF isn't make it into the engine, it will probably run bad and give a CEL at some point.

Some turbo cars use a MAP to determine fueling so the fueling is based on the boost pressure post turbo. This means if you release air mass via a BOV the ECU can detect and compensate. The GM cars use a MAF which measure the air before the turbo pulls it in, so when it releases boost the ECU can not handle that. There are lots of advantages to MAF over MAP, mostly in the accuracy area. MAPS rely on a table to reference pressure and RPM to determine how much air is entering the engine. So changing parts of the motor can affect that table and through your calibration out the window where a MAF can detect the addition air and compensate the fuel spark.

EDIT: I just read hahns post, so it looks like you are in luck, also this post is my understanding please clarify or correct me. Don't call me a homo as I am happy married.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM

There I edited my posts to keep from arguing. So how does the new cobalt compare to a srt4??? And how does the supercharged???
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM

First mod I would do to the SS/TC is BOV. Personally, I like em. I loved mine in the SRT and I miss it. Gotta love how everyones head rips around to look at you when you blow by them.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Calling things Gay:

Because anything you don't like inexplicably reminds you of homosexual relations.
LOL< thats funny
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Area47
who ever said the injectors were maxed on the lnf are way out of the ball park.
I said that the injectors seemed like they had a very high limit, the high pressure pump is what I said I think is limited.

150 L/hr seems like the max for da pump
Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 AM

i like the recirculating bov.... u can hear it spool and if u listen close enough u can hear it blow off jus not into the atmosphere that make ppl look at you and go, "did that car just sneeze?"
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by PimpLay2
i like the recirculating bov.... u can hear it spool and if u listen close enough u can hear it blow off jus not into the atmosphere that make ppl look at you and go, "did that car just sneeze?"
I agree a mother Fu*k!ng 10

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2008 cobalt BOV?