Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Oil cooler delete? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/oil-cooler-delete-326114/)

Crav3 04-11-2018 10:03 PM

Oil cooler delete?

Currently looking into swapping an LNF into my project car. Only problem is the trans I'm using of this car supposedly cannot run on 2.0 ecotecs because of the oil cooler. Are there any kits to remove the oil cooler?? The car has been swapped before by many people with 2.4 and 2.2 ecotecs engines. I am trying to create the first LNF swap and can get all the parts to do the swap. Only thing stopping me is the oil cooler hitting the bell housing.

Henry3959 04-11-2018 11:01 PM

Remove or relocate? I would install one of the nice plates that allow you install a remote cooler.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...9d8b362303.jpg

jdbaugh1 04-12-2018 08:25 AM

What transmission are you running?

exninja 04-12-2018 09:27 AM

Also, do you have a solution for the flywheel-crank? The 2.2/2.4 flywheels are 6 bolts while the 2.0 are 8 bolts.

jdbaugh1 04-12-2018 09:43 AM

If you are using an F23 it can be ground down a little bit to clear the oil cooler.

07blackg5 04-12-2018 10:54 AM

it's a project car that has had quite a few ecotecs swapped in.

My guess is Miata, but it's obviously not another delta lol

Crav3 04-12-2018 03:24 PM

It just might be a good ol mx5 😏

HGT I like that solution you have there, seems like that could work. I was looking for a delete kit or even relocation.

I can have the adapter made for the flywheel, like I said everything is good to go except for the oil cooler and ECU as I just discovered they are not available to tune as stand-alone ECU and requires the BCM to function properly. I read trifecta could do it but apparently they stopped offering that service. Atleast that's what one of the reps there told me.

Still researching as this is still an idea and it will for sure receive an ecotec transplant just deciding whether to go lnf or not. The oil cooler is one of the things holding me back.

exninja 04-12-2018 03:44 PM

AFAIK yes you need the BCM to run the e69 on the LNF.

You must share the adapter design. I am much curious.

I (very briefly) considered this. I decided the extra cost and complexity wasn't worth it. The only that it was happening was to get a wrecked Solstice GXP basically gifted and that wasn't happening. Otherwise way too expensive when I could boost the LE5 if I lacked power.

Crav3 04-12-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by exninja (Post 7684367)
AFAIK yes you need the BCM to run the e69 on the LNF.

You must share the adapter design. I am much curious.

I (very briefly) considered this. I decided the extra cost and complexity wasn't worth it. The only was that it was happening was to get a wrecked Solstice GXP basically gifted and that wasn't happening. Otherwise way too expensive when I could boost the LE5 if I lacked power.

Also read the e39a I believe it's called, also requires the BCM. It comes from the Buicks with the 2.0T and those start the engine but cuts all boost and power above 2700 RPM. it does seem more cost effective to go with a 2.4 or 2.2 and boost them.

The adapter design is not my own but from a company that makes the swap kits for the mx5. They also make one for 2.0 engines upon request.

exninja 04-12-2018 04:03 PM

I just read that MTM would make a flywheel for you. I was curious how they would make an adapter for the 6-bolt Miata flywheel to the 8-bolt 2.0 crank, but that explains it. If you are interested, i would have that priced before committing.

Another option for the ECM is through AlphaFab but that is extremely pricey. May as well just buy the BCM.

Slowbalt2000 04-12-2018 04:12 PM

Chris Phillips runs a tube chassis Jeep in Autox nationals and I believe he has an e69 running as standalone.

JapEatr 04-14-2018 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by HGT (Post 7684298)
Remove or relocate? I would install one of the nice plates that allow you install a remote cooler.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...9d8b362303.jpg

where can I score one of these? I welded bungs to my cooler endplate and routed -8 to a small cooler in the upper grille. but this is cleaner

07blackg5 04-14-2018 10:29 AM

That one in the pic is an old product that isn't made anymore. OTTP makes one now

07blackg5 04-14-2018 10:30 AM

OTTP Ecotec Oil Cooler Plate

Crav3 04-14-2018 04:00 PM

I read an old thread from 2014 where trifecta made what they called a layered tune, or something like that. They made a trifecta file to upload and then you could tune certain tables with hptuners. That's how stand-alone was possible. After couple hours researching I could not find a lead to use hptuners for stand-alone on the e69 without a BCM. I'm thinking just doing a 2.4 and a ko4 turbo for now. A friend has a 6 speed Miata trans I might pick up and start the swap. I believe it be around 2k-2.5k I'd spend on the swap but one always spends more than planned for a job like this lol

tomj77 04-15-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crav3 (Post 7684549)
I read an old thread from 2014 where trifecta made what they called a layered tune, or something like that. They made a trifecta file to upload and then you could tune certain tables with hptuners. That's how stand-alone was possible. After couple hours researching I could not find a lead to use hptuners for stand-alone on the e69 without a BCM. I'm thinking just doing a 2.4 and a ko4 turbo for now. A friend has a 6 speed Miata trans I might pick up and start the swap. I believe it be around 2k-2.5k I'd spend on the swap but one always spends more than planned for a job like this lol

trifecta is trash. there was a trifecta/hp tuner that trifecta and zzp joined forces for for a while. it was basically done so hp guys could get the select a tune option that trifecta has where u can have 2 tunes and select between them with traction control button or cruise button. it obviously didn't pan out well cause it didn't last very long, they stopped doing it. the E69 cant be used as a stand alone, never could. you have to get motech or something like that for stand alone on the lnf. they are not cheap

armcclure 04-16-2018 09:25 AM

I'm guessing you already have the LNF sitting in your shop, or a lead on a dirt cheap one, if you're willing to go through the headache of dealing with that pcm.
I'll always say LSJ FTW, but in this case it's even more true. Standalone buggy harnesses are cheap and easy.

Crav3 04-19-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by armcclure (Post 7684649)
I'm guessing you already have the LNF sitting in your shop, or a lead on a dirt cheap one, if you're willing to go through the headache of dealing with that pcm.
I'll always say LSJ FTW, but in this case it's even more true. Standalone buggy harnesses are cheap and easy.

I don't have it in my shop but you wouldn't believe how cheap I can get this LNF. That is the reason for wanting it but seems like too much of a headache and a lot of money. I received a lead on a wrecked solstice GXP, if I can find info on running the LNF with the ECM and BCM off the solstice I could be back in business. For now it's back to reading and figuring out how much of a headache it will be. Already have the 2.2 with harness and ECM and all accessories with a friend. He is willing to sell it to me for cheap, so that is plan b. Will keep it updated. Might have to change this thread as it has gone off topic Lol.