Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   Oil flow troubleshoot (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/oil-flow-troubleshoot-327192/)

Balento18 12-11-2018 05:55 PM

Oil flow troubleshoot

Hello guys!

I am in need of a oil flow diagram so I can diagnose a noise that I have coming from the head that only comes up at 1,100 rpm and my spark advance goes to 15 . This engine was built recently after a it failed due to knock. I also installed a new turbo so my tune is not optimal.

tomj77 12-11-2018 08:08 PM

whats the noise?

Balento18 12-11-2018 10:21 PM

it sounds like the lash adjusters are bad but we want to be sure before buying new ones. A little back story: My engine had a bearing failure so I purchased another engine that had a broken piston and fixed that one. The fist few turn ons gave a sound from the head that went away once the engine stabilized, our theory was that the lash adjusters where not loading oil into them fast, if you wanted to avoid the loud sound at start up, you would have to turn the ignition off while stating (and repeat that) so the lash adjusters would charge oil. After a few oil changes the sound went away when cold start but we can hear noise when I give it a little bit of fuel (1,100 rpm) I hear the noise. I have an RPD unit and I also notice that the spark advance goes to 15 when I do that but no sure if related.

tomj77 12-12-2018 08:40 PM

well pull the valve cover and have a look. you should see if anything is bad.

user 72239 12-13-2018 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RBruckner (Post 7704150)
So the oil pump feeds the Valve cover while simultaneously feeding the turbo. The friction caused by the oil moving at 60 psi @ 60c can speed up the heat. Sometimes you get low oil pressure due to this, which causes your transmission to not engage correctly

What in the fuck?

Balento18 12-13-2018 03:52 AM

So the oil pump feeds the Valve cover while simultaneously feeding the turbo. The friction caused by the oil moving at 60 psi @ 60c can speed up the heat. Sometimes you get low oil pressure due to this, which causes your transmission to not engage correctly

I think this may apply for an automatic transmission, mine is a 5 speed manual.

steelmesh 12-13-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Balento18 (Post 7704073)
Hello guys!

I am in need of a oil flow diagram so I can diagnose a noise that I have coming from the head that only comes up at 1,100 rpm and my spark advance goes to 15 . This engine was built recently after a it failed due to knock. I also installed a new turbo so my tune is not optimal.

I have the diagram on another computer, I think it was from an HHR forum; it took a while to track it down via googling.

From memory: Oil Pickup > Oil Pump > Oil Filter > Mains/Rods/Balance/Squirters > Orifice > Lifters

The orifice is inside the head and the pressure bypass is on the front cover.

exninja 12-13-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by leemanfor (Post 7704158)
What in the fuck?

Originally Posted by Balento18 (Post 7704161)
I think this may apply for an automatic transmission, mine is a 5 speed manual.

Just ignore this, it's someone being silly.