Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   pump E85 vs canned E85. thoughts? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/pump-e85-vs-canned-e85-thoughts-327224/)

AG305 12-18-2018 02:55 PM

pump E85 vs canned E85. thoughts?

so ive seen alot of guys running e85 and e47 and all that good stuff with great results but i dont hear much discussion about those E85R fuels that sunoco and vp and others sell.

has anyone ever ran or considered using one of those, as i like to call it, "canned" versions of E85?

from what info ive been able to gather i see that those canned versions are mixed with race fuel instead of the 15% gasoline that your traditional pump E85 is mixed with.

lets say youre someone who cant get E85 locally at the pump, if you tune for that can version would it be the same or would you run into other different fueling issues due to it not being mixed with gasoline?

what about making E47 with that? 50/50 mix of canned E85 and 93. same question, would there be issues with tunning or is it the same thing? this one is especially important for me because i will be leaving where i live now where i do have access to pump E85 to a place with none. ordering some of that canned stuff would be my only option.

if that canned version tests out to a perfect 85% ethanol on a tester then in theory it should be the same right? the only thing i see wrong with the canned version is the price. definitely not as cheap as pump.

so what do you guys think?

Slowbalt2000 12-18-2018 03:10 PM

Ive never used to canned stuff myself but I have seen others use it if they live in areas without e85. Its crazy expensive compared to pump ethanol though.

If youre tuned on pump E85 and switch to canned, there wont be any issue since the canned fuel will be of much higher quality.

AG305 12-18-2018 03:13 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking but i wasnt entirely sure. great quality and perfect mixture but was concerned about it not being 15% gasoline.

Slowbalt2000 12-18-2018 03:15 PM

The gasoline they mix with is better than anything you would find at the pump, like you stated above. Anything in a barrel is basically the best you can get, and the price reflects it. If I couldnt find e85 near me, I would consider meth injection as a cheaper alternative.

Sharkey 12-18-2018 03:18 PM

if your gonna buy barrels of it make sure the gasoline the e85r fuels are mixed with is unleaded. lead will kill your o2 sensors in no time flat

cw383 12-18-2018 04:27 PM

I'm going to get some to dyno in the next few weeks, since were at like E60 at the pumps now due to winter weather, and you know darn well the other 40% at the pump will be 87 lol.
Here's the E85R specs

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/e85-r

63 Nova SS 12-18-2018 09:58 PM

I'm a little confused because this should be top notch fuel and I'm sure it is but regular e85 is 105 octane and it's mixed with 15% 87. This actually shows slightly less octane with better fuel?

Sharkey 12-19-2018 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7704709)
I'm a little confused because this should be top notch fuel and I'm sure it is but regular e85 is 105 octane and it's mixed with 15% 87. This actually shows slightly less octane with better fuel?

its an oxygenated fuel, standard octane rating system doesnt work for them. says on their site its an estimated octane rating.

i myself wouldnt tune it with an oxygenated fuel if you arent going to run it all the time with it. your going to have to end up run more fuel to get the same air/fuel ratio, and when you go back to a non oxygenated fuel the car is gonna run rich.

AG305 12-19-2018 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 7704710)
its an oxygenated fuel, standard octane rating system doesnt work for them. says on their site its an estimated octane rating.

i myself wouldnt tune it with an oxygenated fuel if you arent going to run it all the time with it. your going to have to end up run more fuel to get the same air/fuel ratio, and when you go back to a non oxygenated fuel the car is gonna run rich.

how about in terms of using one of these canned E85s for making E47? would there still be an issue with using an oxygenated ethanol + 93 or is the problem you describe from using just pure canned E85?

Sharkey 12-19-2018 02:14 AM

anytime you tune using oxygenated fuel you will run into the same issue when you switch back. how severe the problem is depends on the ratio of oxygenated fuel to pump gas is used, and the oxygen content of that fuel. if your using a non oxygenated canned fuel you wont have any issues once you go back to pump e85 (aside from normal ethanol content worries).

cw383 12-19-2018 10:04 AM

I went down this rabbit hole of reading last night that turned into 2 hours. Pump E85, Sunoco's E85R and VP's C85 as well as E98 are all available canned fuels. Price goes out the window on any canned ethanol, but there seems to be power to be made. Some reports were in the 4-5% range.No mention is made if any additional tuning was used for said results, but it appeared as though most tests were simply switching fuels. Sunoco's E85 is a more pure, better blended fuel with a more consistant ethanol percent. The E98 is another racing ethanol fuel with just 2% gas, and the C85 from VP is basically an E85 mix, although traditional ethanol testers dont work on this one, and the other 15% is more a race oriented fuel. It contains MTBE ( Methyl tert-butyl ether ) which is incompatible with some injectors, but I would have no clue how to find out if ours are or not. I never even knew these things existed until last night. Be interesting to see if it ran any better then a good ( 85-90% ) blend at the pumps in our cars. I have had an Idea to mix Ethanol free 91 available in my area with some good pump E85 and bump up the E85 percentage slightly for my next dyno or race day and see how the car likes it.

AG305 12-19-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by cw383 (Post 7704728)
I never even knew these things existed until last night.

im glad i can open up your eyes to another world :thumb:

but yeah im all in for tests and all sorts of info. only reason i found out about these was knowing im going to be E85-less soon so i needed SOMETHING.