2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Racoon causes Varying Turbo Boost Levels

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
Same question. I sometimes run a 29psi spike tune here (which is like a 26-27 spike) I get zero knock even when my iat2's get close to 100F commanding and observing 12degrees
Originally Posted by tomj77
Why can't u? I was running 28 with no meth. Or is it cause of smaller turbo more heat
Because that is how my meth controller is tuned it engages between 0-5psi. With no meth and a non meth tune I believe I ran 26psi on 15* just on 94
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys that helped out.
Did the leak test today and found a big leak on the passenger side of the intercooler in the plastic at the back. As bad as the leak and crack is, I don't know how the car made any boost at any time.
When the racoon hit the IC most of it was on the moisture trap at the bottom and caused the plastic to break on the driver side which is why the moisture trap was hanging down on that side and drove it back causing a 3 inch stress crack at the back-bottom on the passenger side where the moisture trap was still attached to the IC.
The leak test worked great even without having to cap the passenger side of the intercooler.
Does anyone ever try to seal these leaks in the plastic and if so, with what ??
Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Please don't mess around with trying to fix the stock IC. It is a POS when it is brand new, let alone when you put band aids on it

Last edited by colodude18; 11-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Please don't mess around with trying to fix the stock IC. It is a POS when it is brand new, let alone what you put band aids on it
Just a question, figured that would be the answer.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT
Just a question, figured that would be the answer.
time for the zzp intercooler
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've attempted to fix a cracked stock intercooler...just sounds an loud ass gun shot when it explodes again
Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Every time I see this thread bumped I laugh at the title again. Not sure why but it is very funny to me.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Quit being lazy and replace the intercooler already geeze lol
Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Glad the title is amusing.
As for being lazy, not the case. Just asking questions cuz I'm new to these turbo cars and learning as I go.
As I wait for the ZZP intercooler, repaired the old intercooler and threw it back in. Pressure tested it and still a couple pin holes.
Reason I'm posting is: took it for a quick test drive and it seems much faster. Boost isn't climbing any higher on the guage than it use to (but it's only 55 degrees here), but the old butt dyno says it's pulling much harder. Makes me wonder if there was a hairline crack or issue before and the racoon just helped make it more obvious ? Possibility ?
Car ran 13.91 to 14.00 flat's with GM1 tune on street tires over the summer so it wasn't too bad.
Where in the system does the boost guage pull it's numbers from ?
Thanks.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
(but it's only 55 degrees here)
This might be a lot of it. If I weren't busy and nerdier I'd try and do some maths to figure out just how much IAT's can affect it. My thermodynamics teacher would enjoy that.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
As for being lazy, not the case. Just asking questions cuz I'm new to these turbo cars and learning as I go.
As I wait for the ZZP intercooler, repaired the old intercooler and threw it back in. Pressure tested it and still a couple pin holes.
Reason I'm posting is: took it for a quick test drive and it seems much faster. Boost isn't climbing any higher on the guage than it use to (but it's only 55 degrees here), but the old butt dyno says it's pulling much harder. Makes me wonder if there was a hairline crack or issue before and the racoon just helped make it more obvious ? Possibility ?
Car ran 13.91 to 14.00 flat's with GM1 tune on street tires over the summer so it wasn't too bad.
Thanks.
Why do you keep doing pulls with known boost leaks?? it's bad for the turbo!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks.
Stock gauge?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by iboost
Stock gauge?
Yep
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep
Stock gauge is electronic and pulls from the ECU, hence why it doesn't read as quickly as a mechanical gauge.

As for where the ECM pulls from, I don't remember.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Stock gauge is electronic and pulls from the ECU, hence why it doesn't read as quickly as a mechanical gauge.

As for where the ECM pulls from, I don't remember.
TMAP in the lower charge pipe?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM

I've ordered the larger ZZP intercooler, but with just the GM1 tune should I have just ordered the downsized one ?
Is it a case with the intercooler that with the larger one you gain cooling, but lose air velocity compared to the smaller one ?
Don't wanna lose any performance although some say the intercooler affects performance and some say it makes no difference.
If the car will run stronger with the smaller IC I'll do that because the weather isn't usually that hot where I am.
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 PM

I've ordered the larger ZZP intercooler, but with just the GM1 tune should I have just ordered the downsized one ?
Is it a case with the intercooler that with the larger one you gain cooling, but lose air velocity compared to the smaller one ?
Don't wanna lose any performance although some say the intercooler affects performance and some say it makes no difference.
If the car will run stronger with the smaller IC I'll do that because the weather isn't usually that hot where I am.
Thanks.
The difference is tiny if any at all.

The reason people go with the smaller ZZP intercooler is the ground clearance. You will have to watch pulling into drives and stuff, but it's not too bad.

When installing the pipes back on the intercooler, try putting a little hair spray or similar on the intercooler outlets. That way when you put the pipe on it, it will have less chance to back off.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM

The difference is tiny if any at all.

The reason people go with the smaller ZZP intercooler is the ground clearance. You will have to watch pulling into drives and stuff, but it's not too bad.
So for sacrificing clearance the only advantage to the cooler is some extra cooling for the air going into the engine on those hot summer days. So in effect not losing horsepower due to the heat ?
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM

So for sacrificing clearance the only advantage to the cooler is some extra cooling for the air going into the engine on those hot summer days. So in effect not losing horsepower due to the heat ?
Thanks.
Yeah pretty much. I have the big ol crazy steve intercooler. Never been on the dyno but the temps go down quick between pulls so IDC.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Yeah pretty much. I have the big ol crazy steve intercooler. Never been on the dyno but the temps go down quick between pulls so IDC.
Confusing when someone in one customer's review on the ZZP website said: "Best bang for the buck intercooler available for the LNF! Dyno should 21 whp increase and 30 lbs ft!"
Old 11-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Confusing when someone in one customer's review on the ZZP website said: "Best bang for the buck intercooler available for the LNF! Dyno should 21 whp increase and 30 lbs ft!"
Yeah that's a sneaky ass review. Technically you could see higher HP if you tuned the car for more timing due to the fact that the temps were staying low, but just upgrading to the intercooler with no new tuning would net almost 0 difference.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
(but it's only 55 degrees here) the old butt dyno says it's pulling much harder
If you think it pulls now you just wait until it's below zero
Or will you have ice on the ground for 5 months straight over there??
Old 11-11-2014, 09:02 PM

Got the new ZZP intercooler (nice solid looking piece, seems racoon proof ) and new lower air dam deflector installed and bumper cover back on car. Car runs great, seems stronger.
Question: when putting back together, in the driver side headlight/washer cannister area had a "extra" light blue & green two prong plug that couldn't find a connection for. What would it be for and where would it hook up ? ... or is it for another application ?? Everything electrically seems to be working (headlights, signals, foglights, windshield washer, etc).
Thanks for any help.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Uhhhhhh......
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Does your outside air temperature read correctly? I believe the air temp sensor is there

Quick Reply: Racoon causes Varying Turbo Boost Levels