2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
i dont know if this has been discussed, but i thought of it yesterday and was curious. CIA's MAF relocation pipe for blow off valves.... if you relocate the MAF in this car, then any intake problems should be fixed. Wouldnt this seem correct. No more MAF's too close to air filters causing turbulance. Is there less turbulance after the intercooler? Anyone ever test one of these and look at MAF skew?

Actually now that I think of it they say you have to tune for that. so then whats the point as you can tune for an intake.
Exactly! It's useless.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tagged for quick reference.

Nice write up Term
Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steddy2112

Nice write up Term
Now you know why I feel the way I feel.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, I really don't

Term says every intake is headache unless you are meticulous about tuning for it.

15 whp to be had?

I can live without it for now
Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 AM

No, I really don't

Term says every intake is headache unless you are meticulous about tuning for it.

15 whp to be had?

But sir...

It's 15 whp.

O.O

I have comfort in knowing that I was looking into hahn and figured it costs as much as it does for a reason. At least I had a positive hunch on something
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, I really don't

15 whp to be had?

Yes, you do have be meticulous about tuning for it but I will say that I just ran 4.5 seconds from 60-100 at 21 psi and the stock MAF tables with the Hahn intake, compared to my normal time of 5.2 seconds with the stock intake with the drop in filter. The best time I had gotten previously was ~4.6 seconds with the AEM intake at 24psi (4.9 seconds at 21 psi) I bet once I get it fully dialed in at 24 psi I will be able run an honest 4 seconds flat. The Hahn intake has enormous top end compared to any of the other intakes.

Nice write up Term
Thanks Steve.

Originally Posted by G85 SS
But sir...

It's 15 whp.

O.O

I have comfort in knowing that I was looking into hahn and figured it costs as much as it does for a reason. At least I had a positive hunch on something
I am thinking it is more like 25-30 whp when you have an agressive tune and full boltons. Heck Look at this dyno graph with a canned PPC tune.

That was with a PPC tuner which uses the stock MAF tables and stock timing so more of a conservative tune if you will.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-08-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

I pulled a 4.7 with 100% stock parts, then 4.4 with DP, CP and K&N, 4.07 with Hahn CAI on the car.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
I pulled a 4.7 with 100% stock parts, then 4.4 with DP, CP and K&N, 4.07 with Hahn CAI on the car.
I know but I bet you 100 bucks that same tune in my car would not pull those times off down here in Florida. You have much denser air up there :P Side note you should have pulled harder on that Trifecta tuned car :P. He was running 24 psi vs your 22 psi ish. Your car is probably always going to be approx 1/2 a second faster than mine with the same mods and the same tune.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor

Im also on my snow tires, after changing my wheels yesterday I realized they are quite a bit heavier! I plan on throwing a 24psi tune on it then running him again. Should put some space on him, not a ton but a lil bit
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Im also on my snow tires, after changing my wheels yesterday I realized they are quite a bit heavier! I plan on throwing a 24psi tune on it then running him again. Should put some space on him, not a ton but a lil bit
I find it strange that cmiller was running ~5.5 seconds from 60-100 with his 24 psi Trifecta tune. He ran a 12.2 at 112 mph QM on slicks and 12.7 at 115 mph on street tires. He ran 4.9 seconds at 22 psi with a more effective A/F which does not suprise me at all. What I do not understand is if cmiller's car ran 5.5 seconds and that other Trifecta tuned car you ran is running the same tune at 24 psi you should have raped him if you are running 4.0 seconds from 60-100.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor

Cmiller had that Highboost kit inline like the pill mod shows. It was making his boost come on really slow, he thought it was the TF tune possibly, he said it never came on right and just thought it was the tune. (I never even saw a 24psi spike in his log he sent me with the TF tune on the car) After I sent him a file to try, it did the samething. We came to the conclusion that it has to be something with the Highboost kit and he tried pulling that Highboost kit out. His car now boosts right and that's really where he gained his time.

What I think those races showed is exactly what you've been saying. The AF really does make a difference. I was running less boost rolling off boost sooner and pulled the same with less boost and the right AFR. Im betting that with 24psi Ill put a car on him, the car def pulls harder thru the midrange with the pill in and that's where he gained on me everytime.

I find it strange you aren't pulling faster then me with 40 extra whp lol. Somehow our "dense air" makes the car go faster yet doesn't make that 40whp jump you have on everyone... where's that dyno btw? lol!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, that highboost kit was hit or miss, I took it out and all is better. The boost would come on real slow sometimes and others it would spike real big and settle down. I am looking to prolly do the pill mod to soon and get it dialed in for the track in a month.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM

Cmiller had that Highboost kit inline like the pill mod shows. It was making his boost come on really slow, he thought it was the TF tune possibly, he said it never came on right and just thought it was the tune. (I never even saw a 24psi spike in his log he sent me with the TF tune on the car) After I sent him a file to try, it did the samething. We came to the conclusion that it has to be something with the Highboost kit and he tried pulling that Highboost kit out. His car now boosts right and that's really where he gained his time.

What I think those races showed is exactly what you've been saying. The AF really does make a difference. I was running less boost rolling off boost sooner and pulled the same with less boost and the right AFR. Im betting that with 24psi Ill put a car on him, the car def pulls harder thru the midrange with the pill in and that's where he gained on me everytime.

I find it strange you aren't pulling faster then me with 40 extra whp lol. Somehow our "dense air" makes the car go faster yet doesn't make that 40whp jump you have on everyone... where's that dyno btw? lol!
Different dyno. Why are you so hung up on the numbers? My car made 253 whp stock on that dyno which is about 5% more than most make stock. 340 X 1.05 = 360 hp. You dynoed 320 whp with the crappy stock airbox on the car. An Intake adds up to 25-30 whp up top. You should make 345 whp or so on that same dyno next time with the intake and the pill. Stock airbox vs intake is no comparison as far as top end hp is concerned.

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Yea, that highboost kit was hit or miss, I took it out and all is better. The boost would come on real slow sometimes and others it would spike real big and settle down. I am looking to prolly do the pill mod to soon and get it dialed in for the track in a month.
You must be one helluva driver to pull off those QM runs that fast considering where you were tune wise before. Get yourself a Hahn intake and a pill and some retuning and you should be hitting 11.6-11.7 at 116-117 mph.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-08-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I should do some data logging with the dashhawk so we can get some solid numbers recorded and make this thread even better...what you think term2? I have a stock intake and a drop in k&n I can record for.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Different dyno. Why are you so hung up on the numbers? My car made 253 whp stock on that dyno which is about 5% more than most make stock. 340 X 1.05 = 360 hp. You dynoed 320 whp with the crappy stock airbox on the car. An Intake adds up to 25-30 whp up top. You should make 345 whp or so on that same dyno next time with the intake and the pill. Stock airbox vs intake is no comparison as far as top end hp is concerned.

You must be one helluva driver to pull off those QM runs that fast considering where you were tune wise before. Get yourself a Hahn intake and a pill and some retuning and you should be hitting 11.6-11.7 at 116-117 mph.
345 is still not 360+ And as stated previously, I wouldnt be so hung up on numbers if it was within an acceptable margin. Not to mention now it says 24psi is teh latest tune when Blueberry dyno'd your tune at 22 to get those numbers you are claiming. End the debate, post the graph already

And Im hung up on numbers? You brought up numbers with my 60-100 times yet you ignore my question about how my dense air could make my car faster yet I dont come close in whp to you? Any thoughts on that one?

And I agree on the Cmiller front. We're throwing a 24-25psi tune on it now and 11.7-11.8 def seems attainable!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM

You must be one helluva driver to pull off those QM runs that fast considering where you were tune wise before. Get yourself a Hahn intake and a pill and some retuning and you should be hitting 11.6-11.7 at 116-117 mph. [/QUOTE]

It didnt always act like that. It was better for awhile and I never had the highboost kit on there. If I didnt spend so much money on the things I just bought I would get the hahn intake. What would it do if you left the filter out lol.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM

It didnt always act like that. It was better for awhile and I never had the highboost kit on there. If I didnt spend so much money on the things I just bought I would get the hahn intake. What would it do if you left the filter out lol.
I did that once LOL. Lots and lots of MAF skew and with the stock intake elbow going to the turbo there will be no power gains at all and response will be crap because of loads of rich spikes.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Question Intake/ gms1

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but regardless there always seems to be good feedback from some knowledgeable people wherever the posts go... I am about to do the GMS1 and have also ordered a new CAI. Am I better off putting the intake on before or after the GMS1 install? The reason I ask is for the purpose of the tune that GM performs on initial install. Or will the ECU automatically adjust as it learns the new intake, no matter when it's installed? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
345 is still not 360+ And as stated previously, I wouldnt be so hung up on numbers if it was within an acceptable margin. Not to mention now it says 24psi is teh latest tune when Blueberry dyno'd your tune at 22 to get those numbers you are claiming. End the debate, post the graph already

And Im hung up on numbers? You brought up numbers with my 60-100 times yet you ignore my question about how my dense air could make my car faster yet I dont come close in whp to you? Any thoughts on that one?

And I agree on the Cmiller front. We're throwing a 24-25psi tune on it now and 11.7-11.8 def seems attainable!
LOL... no doubt that termi knows his stuff but he does seem to dodge the "lets see your dyno graph" question pretty well..
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tomgillotti
Hey, not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but regardless there always seems to be good feedback from some knowledgeable people wherever the posts go... I am about to do the GMS1 and have also ordered a new CAI. Am I better off putting the intake on before or after the GMS1 install? The reason I ask is for the purpose of the tune that GM performs on initial install. Or will the ECU automatically adjust as it learns the new intake, no matter when it's installed? Thanks for any help!
The GMS1 before or after the intake isn't going to matter. The tune doesn't reflect any change in the intake tract so the ECU will try to compensate for it over time to an extent. You really need to custom tune for the intakes available right now but that defeats your GMS1 choice to keep the warranty. Catch 22.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Damn, well there goes $300 until the warranty runs out... oops
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Former Vendor

Whoever HP Tunes your car can do a write entire back to the car with the GMS1 alone if you have to goto the dealer.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM

Whoever HP Tunes your car can do a write entire back to the car with the GMS1 alone if you have to goto the dealer.
QFT. A good HP Tune on top of the GMS1 & intake is the way to go. He didn't say he wanted to tune it after the GMS1 though.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM

^^^ Hows the clutch and flywheel working?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
In my opinion the perfect intake for the LNF would have a 3.25" intake tube made of Aluminum or Steel. It would have a separate MAF housing piece with a screen right in Front of the MAF to keep airflow readings consistant. The MAF housing's ID should be as close to the ID of the stock intake as possible to keep the fuel trims as close to stock as possible.
So your saying if I buy a any CAI intake and cut about 3in infront of the MAF, wrapped the new hole tight with some screen door material, clamped it under a silicone coupler and tightened that thing down with a t-bolt clamp it would work?

Quick Reply: Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC