Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.0L LNF Performance Tech
Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC >

Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC

2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC

Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM
  #326  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-15-07
Location: Canada , Nova Scotia , Sack Town Baby !!
Posts: 1,553
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has there been anymore experience with the Treadstone CAI ?? I'm really torn between it and the K&N sri. Which ever is best for a car with gms1 to run WITHOUT any additional tuning. There are no tuners around me at all. Which of the two intakes would skew the maf the least while adding the most hp ?

Last edited by QuickSilver_SS; 10-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
QuickSilver_SS is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
  #327  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 07-24-11
Location: Bradenton, FL.
Posts: 2,983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n is proven to be the best without tuning, but to tune, the treadstone is the best in my opinion.
AARON-SS-TC is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
  #328  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-15-07
Location: Canada , Nova Scotia , Sack Town Baby !!
Posts: 1,553
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC View Post
k&n is proven to be the best without tuning, but to tune, the treadstone is the best in my opinion.

Ok , Thanks. With that being said how much of a hp gain could someone expect ? Maybe 6-8 hp ?
QuickSilver_SS is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
  #329  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-09-12
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my SS/TC this weekend. By the looks of it, the K&N is illegal in PA due to freaking Cali and the save the earth hippies. Jk. I'm looking at the Hahn now. I'm fully stock right now so this will probably be the first thing I do to the car. I should probably check if the Hahn is legal in PA as well lol
Boast1570 is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 AM
  #330  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-09-09
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 822
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw emissions homos.. just get the good stuff bro
Knightwolf is offline  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
  #331  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 07-24-11
Location: Bradenton, FL.
Posts: 2,983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best sound = k&n or dejon
best performance without a tune = k&n
best performance with a tune = hahn, treadstone, or aem.... 12-15whp
AARON-SS-TC is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM
  #332  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-03-12
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,358
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N all the way
taintedred07 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 AM
  #333  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
serega12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-12-12
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,554
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC View Post

best performance with a tune = hahn, treadstone, or aem.... 12-15whp
And out of those three? And why?
serega12 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM
  #334  
Member
 
Join Date: 09-27-12
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh lord...

Cold Air Intake Polish Pipe Red Filter for Chevy 08 10 Cobalt SS 2 0L Turbo 09 | eBay

I can ONLY imagine the issues one would have with this... maybe if you were relocating your MAF, but this has bad idea written all over it IMO
GR1VLET is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #335  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GR1VLET View Post
Oh lord...

Cold Air Intake Polish Pipe Red Filter for Chevy 08 10 Cobalt SS 2 0L Turbo 09 | eBay

I can ONLY imagine the issues one would have with this... maybe if you were relocating your MAF, but this has bad idea written all over it IMO
Yes 2.75" pipe would be quite a bit smaller at the MAF so lots of retuning needed and if the MAF is not positioned perfectly lots of turbulance at the MAF which will skew readings.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #336  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by serega12 View Post

And out of those three? And why?
If it counts for anything the 3 cars I have done with treadstone CAIs have all flowed 37 lbs/min max on the stock turbo according to my logs. Normally I see 35-36 lbs/min max on the stock turbo. On the first car I thought it was just due to the air conditions (denser air) but after 2 more cars under temps around 70-80* seeing the same 37 lb/min readings it seems consistant. That does not necessarily mean it will make anymore power vs other intakes as no one has done a dyno shootout with different intakes on the same car same tune (other than MAF changes) same dyno. If tuned correctly for they are all likely within 4-5 hp of each other.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
  #337  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-13
Location: Fw, Tx
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Terminator 2,

Seems like you know what you're talking about so I'll ask you. Lol.

I'm extremely close to ordering a k&n typhoon, what are your thoughts on this intake, and is it safe to run untuned for a bit? I plan on getting tuned, just not right after I buy the intake, being as I have a car payment now and can't get all the goodies at once lol. Thanks for your help. Btw I have a '08 ss/tc.
turbaltss08 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
  #338  
N*gga Kevin
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Location: Lochbuie, Colorado
Posts: 12,975
Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts
I have a Hahn CAI, sounds so good
leemanfor is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
  #339  
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
turbosmart4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-12
Location: Alaska
Posts: 12,277
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbosmart4 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
  #340  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbaltss08 View Post
Hi Terminator 2,

Seems like you know what you're talking about so I'll ask you. Lol.

I'm extremely close to ordering a k&n typhoon, what are your thoughts on this intake, and is it safe to run untuned for a bit? I plan on getting tuned, just not right after I buy the intake, being as I have a car payment now and can't get all the goodies at once lol. Thanks for your help. Btw I have a '08 ss/tc.
Read the first page of this thread I talk about the K&N and a bunch of other intakes.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM
  #341  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-09-09
Location: Tejas
Posts: 4,377
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Read the first page of this thread I talk about the K&N and a bunch of other intakes.
It still says the K&N isn't out yet...
Stamina is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
  #342  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-13
Location: Fw, Tx
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post

Read the first page of this thread I talk about the K&N and a bunch of other intakes.
All I see is the k&n drop in, and you saying the SRI isn't out yet? Which I'm looking at one right now.
turbaltss08 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
  #343  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbaltss08 View Post
All I see is the k&n drop in, and you saying the SRI isn't out yet? Which I'm looking at one right now.
Hmm I updated the thread at some point a while back. Anyway. Without a tune the K&N SRI has good overall drivability but does tend to skew the STFTs by up to 15% at WOT which is fine as long as the wideband reads properly and all. The whole idea of MAF tuning is to ensure the A/F is close to commanded even if the car is not in closed loop.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #344  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-13
Location: Fw, Tx
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh ok, well I'm still new to the boost, so don't mind me, but are you saying overall it is safe to run on stock tune?
turbaltss08 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
  #345  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-13
Location: Fw, Tx
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don't wanna end up blowing some **** up since I just got the car a month ago lol.
turbaltss08 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  #346  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-22-10
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 2,293
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since ive put on my K&N ive had a bit of a strange idle, havent moved or tweaked the filter. But, its also winter and ****.. sooo il see how it idles during the summer.
cranemaster is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
  #347  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbaltss08 View Post
Oh ok, well I'm still new to the boost, so don't mind me, but are you saying overall it is safe to run on stock tune?
Yes it is pretty safe. I never cared much for the stock LNFs tune being 0.95 PE lambda (14.0 A/F which is on the lean side) at WOT until 5200 RPMs but even the GMS1 cars share the same PE table so Gm must think it is safe enough. I beleive they do it to limit torque and to limit strain on the fuel system when the turbo spools.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  #348  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cranemaster View Post
Since ive put on my K&N ive had a bit of a strange idle, havent moved or tweaked the filter. But, its also winter and ****.. sooo il see how it idles during the summer.
Try cleaning the MAF. If any excess oil from the filter gets on the MAF it will read incorrectly. Sometimes the K&N filters have a little excess oil on them even from the factory.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
  #349  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS View Post
Ok , Thanks. With that being said how much of a hp gain could someone expect ? Maybe 6-8 hp ?
So few dynos with just this one mod added and no tune changes other than MAf tuning but on an aggressively tuned stock turbo LNF gains could be as high as 15 whp up top but most will see 6-10 whp or so. Enough to be worth $300 IMHO and the sound difference is great especially with a SRI but even a CAI will have a much more aggressive sound at WOT.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
  #350  
N*gga Kevin
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Location: Lochbuie, Colorado
Posts: 12,975
Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
So few dynos with just this one mod added and no tune changes other than MAf tuning but on an aggressively tuned stock turbo LNF gains could be as high as 15 whp up top but most will see 6-10 whp or so. Enough to be worth $300 IMHO and the sound difference is great especially with a SRI but even a CAI will have a much more aggressive sound at WOT.
This

my turbo sounds like a jet engine with the Hahn Intake. Rode in a buddies K&N and it was much quieter than mine imo
leemanfor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.