Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LNF Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/)
-   -   warranty work building up...... (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/warranty-work-building-up-199071/)

cresintern 12-19-2009 06:57 PM

warranty work building up......

so the latest update, had my 09 sstc sedan for about 10 months now with 13500 miles. first month, i had alignment off, fixed under warranty, still seemed out, so i returned and they swapped front tires left to right, seemed to work.

next, steering clunks 8 months later, intermediate steering shaft, didnt work, next, whole steering column, worked.

1 week later, loud humming from front wheel, left front wheel bearing replaced. rear brakes squeaking, uneven wear, pads and rotors ordered with ss specific swaybar bushings ordered also because of unbelievably loud squeak when cold outside. to be installed when they arrive at dealer. well as people have been saying to me, "its a cobalt" or "welcome to GM". ok, but you know what??? we are talking about a 25,000 dollar cobalt!!!!!! its still 25 grand. if it was 17k, ok, then i would be less troubled

kylewalton2007 12-19-2009 08:03 PM

agreed

Shibito 12-19-2009 08:39 PM

Every car has a few bad eggs. Sounds like you got one. I have only had to have the usual oil leak by the camshaft sensor.

Zander916 12-19-2009 10:21 PM

I feel ya...

Mines been in for:
Air bag light (passenger side seat sensor - there's TSB on that)
ESC light (been in NUMEROUS times for this. Replaced a module and later a valve. Seems better)
Rear brakes (new rear pads, machined rear rotors)
Battery (it wouldn't hold a charge, replaced)
Drivers side headlight (holding moisture BADLY!! Replaced)
Odd noise on a cold start with dip in idle (seems better after changing the oil see this if if you're interested:https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/strange-issue-cold-start-up-194165/ )
Ignition coil died completely (replaced)
Charge pipe recall if you count that...

I THINK that's it. If I forgot something and remember it later I'll post it. LOL

Despite that, I'm sticking with it. I love the car that much and I'm not too worried about other things popping up. I've seen stuff like this before or had it with other cars. Although they were older and I had to foot the bill. It was a rash of things and then they'd run forever without a problem. But it's a judgement call.
I was looking up Lemon laws. I think they are done by state. But you can check 'em out... This is a Warranty Law Thread. You can also look up Lemon Laws for your state if they aren't provided from this thread. https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/understanding-warranty-laws-157346/

Maybe something like this site: http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/ or this http://www.carlemon.com/

It's your call though. I know when I looked it up for Iowa where I live, it had to be done before 24,000 miles and some other criteria.

CordiaDOHC 12-19-2009 10:30 PM

So far on mine...

2008 Sport Model (which was 22k new...)
Intermediate steering shaft replaced.
Leading edge of drivers side door repainted due to rubbing issue with the fender.
Sunroof fixed (was squeaking badly its doing it again...)
Trunk rattle fixed
Headlights and front bumper realigned a bit better.

Im glad its all been under warranty but both times the dealership said itd be a day and it turned into 3-4 with no parts having to be ordered. :thumbsdow not to mention one time I called and was on my way up asked if the car was finished and washed. They said it was getting washed as I was speaking to them. Get up their car is dirtier than it was and covered in grass clippings.... ive since started going to a dealership further out...

JL-KA 12-19-2009 10:51 PM

I had the 2 front window motors replaced
Door realigned/paint touched up because the top corner was hitting the body
Then came the big one...timing chain tensioner malfunctioned and the car jumped timing and pistons hit valves. Lots of the head was replaced. Car was down for 20 days.

BlueStang 12-19-2009 10:56 PM

Yep get all you can fixed under warrenty before it comes out of your pocket, I have had mine in 7 times for repairs all covered by the warrenty. It's thr last GM car I'll ever buy

Boosted_Cobalt09 12-20-2009 01:01 PM

every car has its flaws....... i do a lot of acura work and the mdx suvs are coming back with tailgate and quarter rust with like 40000 miles on them. its a joke. the dark blue honda odyseeys are have a delamination flaw as well. regardless of the make and model you buy theres going to be flaws with it. so far with my car ive only had it in with rear brakes and the typical recalls with 13000 miles. luckily i have a buddy whos a master tech that helps me out when my cars in for work.

ssilver 12-21-2009 12:48 AM

I had tons of problems with my SS/SC.. I can't even count the times I was at the dealer for warranty work. I am sure I missed a few problems, these are just a few.

1. Out of alignment first week I got it
2. Door became misaligned and wouldn't close
3. Shifter knob broke off twice, once after it was warranty replaced
4. Cruise control wouldn't work, had it to the dealer multiple times for this
5. Battery went bad within 4 months and would die on my in cold weather
6. Wheel began bubbling and chipping within first month
7. Silver finish began falling of the stereo in first month
8. Steering wheel buttons quit working

For some reason I still loved the car.. and bought an SS/TC.. When I traded my SC at 51k it was barely running, rough idle with occasional cels. Now I am dealing with the same old crap...

1. Service air bag light comes on randomly
2. Door is getting misaligned like my old one
3. Dash rattle from hell

Very finicky cars...

Tur-Balt 12-21-2009 02:29 AM

I'm trying to decide between a Cobalt SS and Pontiac G8 GT. Threads like this one certainly steer me towards the Pontiac.

ssilver 12-21-2009 05:12 AM

Once you get into the boost and hit some corners you forget about all the little problems..

Mnatvyc1223 12-21-2009 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shibito (Post 4542216)
Every car has a few bad eggs. Sounds like you got one. I have only had to have the usual oil leak by the camshaft sensor.

apparently the SS/SC had ALOT! not to mention the minor interior problems etc...

shitty too hear about such a new car having so many problems. best of luck.

my SS/SC was no different.

fshizl 12-21-2009 05:30 AM

haha, mines got a lot of stuff done..

first... check engine light, misfire...

weatherstripping.

then brakes (they told me it was fine)

weatherstripping.

Brakes again( they accused me of pulling my hand brake, and charged me 50 dollars to inspect)

weatherstripping (3rd set... finally some kind of quietness inside the cabin.

brakes(GM rep came to see the car, replaced my rear brakes under warranty, new rotors and pads. oiled calipers cause i told him that it was sticking.

transmission leaking oil.(the cleaned it up and said it was fine)

THE NEXT DAY, my clutch pedal drops to the floor, doesnt come back. they take the tranny off after i approved their 500 dollar charge to remove the transmission... the clutch disk shattered in pieces... completely blamed it all on "driver abuse" i had to pay 1500 dollars to have it all fixed.

Finally the car is running. but i have yet to find myself with luck, throughout my time owning this car, i have had more problems and bad luck than any other car... in the first 2 months, a truck ran over a tire on the freeway, and that shattered the clips on my front lip and broke one of my fog lights.

i ran over some duct tape that was on the floor and it left the sticky residue on the car...

and just tonight i was driving home and something was on the road, i didnt see it and my tire ran over it... the inside wheel well of the back bumper looks like a samurai cut it with a sword...

i have no idea how i end up with this luck...

ajm5036 12-21-2009 05:44 AM

Um.... 06 SS/SC G85 no problems to date.

Not every car has these problems. My car is fucking money. Sorry to hear about all your troubles guys.

Sweetsandman 12-21-2009 06:18 AM

At about 14,500 miles now and the only problem I had was from me beating on it at the track and it caused that wire rip for the fuel pressure solenoid (caused by engine movement between shifts)...can't remember the DTC off the top of my head. Some of you sound like you've gotten a bad egg...hey...at least you've got a warranty that has taken care of your problems.

Permafried- 12-21-2009 11:06 AM

When you say you ordered bushings, are you ordering the softer ones to alleivate the squeaking in cold conditions, or are you sticking with the same stock ones?

sstaton1983 12-21-2009 12:03 PM

broke my shifter, and clutch is really starting to slip now.(not gms fault on that). rear rotors are grooved.

cresintern 12-21-2009 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried- (Post 4544311)
When you say you ordered bushings, are you ordering the softer ones to alleivate the squeaking in cold conditions, or are you sticking with the same stock ones?

no the replacement ones, staying hard.

pykie 12-21-2009 01:34 PM

I have a 2007 2.2 i know its not a ss but heres the issues i have had.
at 4,000KMs the lifters went
at 8,000kms the clutch pin broke
15,000km blower fan bearing went
22,000kms controll arm bushings went
45,000km blower fan went again
50,000kms cel came on, random sensor wire fell out
75,000kms second gear went
i think thats it.
Oh ans still to this day blower fan on setting 1 and 2 squeeks bad!

Hugger1975 12-21-2009 06:27 PM

hmmmmmm covered alignment under warranty?
i hate how mine seems to pull left all the time.

my only complaint so far with 16k

chris88z24 12-21-2009 06:30 PM

Manufacturers include warranties so that they can produce their products as cheaply and efficiently as possible without the customers having to worry about quality-related repair expenses.

And with that being said, I love my 6 year (Yes 6 year)/100,000mi warranty. ftw.

Permafried- 12-21-2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cresintern (Post 4544757)
no the replacement ones, staying hard.

Good, I was going to say "oh god change your order" if you went with the softer ones :)

Cptnsweet 12-21-2009 09:10 PM

i had an 06 SS non SC and had injector problems and something to do with the steering and gear shifter, then before i traded it the traction control module was goign out on it, i traded for the 09 SS/TC i have 6500 miles on and at 4000 miles the brakes started squeaking clutch doing the same ebrake slipping and at 2000 miles sunroof leakign air. took it in last week to have everything looked at the brakes they sanded and greased greased the clutch fixed the Ebrake and adjusted the sunroof. about 3 days later only that they fixed that is still fixed is the Ebrake. sunroof still leaking air clutch and brakes are squeaking again. I lovethe speed and power of the car, but am so ready to just throw the keys at them and say thanks but no thanks. i dont have the time or energy to sit at the dealership every other week for them to keep fixing stuff. its a brand new car, like the other person said if ot was 15-17 thousand dollar car it would be one thing, but it's not i am not paying 25000 bucks for at 6000 miles shit start breaking. sorry for the rant but its rediculous

09silverSSS 12-23-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by cresintern (Post 4542030)
so the latest update, had my 09 sstc sedan for about 10 months now with 13500 miles. first month, i had alignment off, fixed under warranty, still seemed out, so i returned and they swapped front tires left to right, seemed to work.

next, steering clunks 8 months later, intermediate steering shaft, didnt work, next, whole steering column, worked.

1 week later, loud humming from front wheel, left front wheel bearing replaced. rear brakes squeaking, uneven wear, pads and rotors ordered with ss specific swaybar bushings ordered also because of unbelievably loud squeak when cold outside. to be installed when they arrive at dealer. well as people have been saying to me, "its a cobalt" or "welcome to GM". ok, but you know what??? we are talking about a 25,000 dollar cobalt!!!!!! its still 25 grand. if it was 17k, ok, then i would be less troubled

I'm having the same problem with my rear brakes at 16k miles. They probably were shot thousands of miles ago, but I just didn't notice it.

Permafried- 12-23-2009 09:53 AM

Oh, cresintern, I forgot to mention. even after those bushings are replaced, it's going to make the exact same noise. If you complain about it GM will replace them with a softer version (more in line with what's on the 2.2) and in my experience, those failed about once every 18 months on my 2.2.

The noise is there on all the TCs in cold conditions; after hearing what GettingAUsernameSucks said about it, I'll put up with it. They're stiffer bushings with better durability, the trade-off is they squeak worse than a worn out bed in a brothel when it's freezing outside. My radio can fix that :).