Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   1 Step Colder Plugs, Let's End The Confusion! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/1-step-colder-plugs-lets-end-confusion-22804/)

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 09:07 AM

1 Step Colder Plugs, Let's End The Confusion!

Ok. I hear many different people swearing by certain gaps for these 1 step colder plugs. There are a ton of threads about this but no answers that have proof for back up. What should the gap be for optimal performance and optimal reliabilty and why? Experts on this subject, please chime in! Thanks.

Update!

Here is what's come out of this thread so far. WE STILL NEED INPUT!

New spark plugs should always be gapped prior to installation. The stock LSJ spark plug gap setting is .045", and that works fine for the lower boost settings. As the boost increase, smaller plug gaps are required to prevent spark blow-out. Following are our dyno-proven LSJ spark plug gap recommendations:

Stage 1 - 3.30" to 3.20" supercharger pulley - .045" gap
Stage 2 - 3.10" to 3.00" supercharger pulley - .045" gap
Stage 3 - 2.90" to 2.80" supercharger pulley - .040" gap
Stage 4 - 2.70" to 2.60" supercharger pulley - .035" gap
Stage 5 - 2.50" supercharger pulley - .035" gap

*Although NGK recomends .35 from Stage 2 on! Why?

Update 2

I tested (WOT!) multiple gaps ( .35, .37, .40, .42, .45)
.40 was the smoothest with my mods.

CobaltBurst 06-12-2006 09:11 AM

i believe its different for different mods...

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
i believe its different for different mods...

Oh absolutely, thats why I want to know what gaps are for what applications and why? We need the truth because this seems to be an ongoing debate. People have such different gaps ranging from .35 to .45 I just want the truth from the experts.

Acidangel_5.0 06-12-2006 09:23 AM

to get the perfect setting will take time and research.. i actually have a book at the house about how indepth plug gap/selection can be with ways of reading each and every single spot on the plug.. rediculous shit.... but as far as freeballin it..
just play around.. stay between those 2 ranges and adjust it until u find optimal setting in your opinion.. only takes like 2 minutes

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
to get the perfect setting will take time and research.. i actually have a book at the house about how indepth plug gap/selection can be with ways of reading each and every single spot on the plug.. rediculous shit.... but as far as freeballin it..
just play around.. stay between those 2 ranges and adjust it until u find optimal setting in your opinion.. only takes like 2 minutes

Yeah I know we can just try different settings ourselves but i'm looking for the technical answer so people don't have to pull their plugs 5 times. I just want this thread to end the gap questions. Thanks though.

Drewfu$ 06-12-2006 10:47 AM

You want the gap to be as large as possible without being blown out. So start on the big side, then test and regap smaller until the misfires at high rpm stop.

Also, the definition of "colder" plug, is that for each step, it is (if i remember correctly) lowering the temps that they fire by 20*. So, the colder the better, but colder plugs can foul out quicker.

But colder plugs are worth it. I noticed 5* of KR difference between 1 step colder plugs and 2 steps colder. And since its easy to replace them often, I don't care. Even with 2 steps colder, I've never had them foul out. I usually change them every other oil change, so I catch them before they go bad.

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=Drewfu$]You want the gap to be as large as possible without being blown out. So start on the big side, then test and regap smaller until the misfires at high rpm stop.[QUOTE]

Yeah I hear you bro but I don't want to have to run the car at high rpms with 10 different gaps. I'm looking for the people that already know. Thank you very much though. This is all good input.

Tomtwtwtw 06-12-2006 11:44 AM

I'm more or less clueless when it comes to spark plugs...that's one thing I didn't dare try myself on my old car. (had to remove the engine mount and tilt the engine forward to get to the rear cyl. bank...no thanks) Is there somewhere special you have to go to get colder plugs, or can I just tell my local Checker guy what I need and he'll have it in that area behind the counter? I have a feeling, from what I've been reading, then when I eventually get my stage 2, the stock plugs will be reading their limits. *or* can you just re-gap the stockers without having to go with colder plugs?

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I'm more or less clueless when it comes to spark plugs...that's one thing I didn't dare try myself on my old car. (had to remove the engine mount and tilt the engine forward to get to the rear cyl. bank...no thanks) Is there somewhere special you have to go to get colder plugs, or can I just tell my local Checker guy what I need and he'll have it in that area behind the counter? I have a feeling, from what I've been reading, then when I eventually get my stage 2, the stock plugs will be reading their limits. *or* can you just re-gap the stockers without having to go with colder plugs?

You want colder plugs. With the smaller pulley and more fuel, you should go with 1 step colder plugs. You don't have to go anywhere special. You can get them here.

http://cobalt-addiction.com/performance.htm Click on Ignition! :twothumbs

Tomtwtwtw 06-12-2006 11:56 AM

Thanks...I see they recommend a .35 gap, but do they come pre-gapped at all or is that part of the installation?

TXRLU 06-12-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
You want colder plugs. With the smaller pulley and more fuel, you should go with 1 step colder plugs. You don't have to go anywhere special. You can get them here.

http://cobalt-addiction.com/performance.htm Click on Ignition! :twothumbs

Its funny that there's so much uncertainty from just us do-it-yourself-ers, you'd think those in the know would know but ZZperformance.com is saying that you need to go 2 steps colder for anything below a 3.00 pulley. I have 2 step colder plugs and a 2.9 pulley, no problems thus far.

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TXRLU
Its funny that there's so much uncertainty from just us do-it-yourself-ers, you'd think those in the know would know but ZZperformance.com is saying that you need to go 2 steps colder for anything below a 3.00 pulley. I have 2 step colder plugs and a 2.9 pulley, no problems thus far.

That's the thing, there is a lot of uncertainty. I'm with you on that. We need the real answers... :twothumbs

Thanks...I see they recommend a .35 gap, but do they come pre-gapped at all or is that part of the installation?

I don't know what they pre-gap those at. .35 dosen't sound right though. Hopefully more people chime in and help.

OniMirage 06-12-2006 01:15 PM

now im interested and want to get an answer before wednesday so i can buy some

glockglade 06-12-2006 01:27 PM

on the website it states the plugs are pregapped for performance and that the tips are too delicate to be gapped however I have a 2.85 w/gm stage kit I never regapped my 2 step colder plugs and they run alright The gap however when i got them was like .28-.30.

Matty 06-12-2006 02:45 PM

All plugs come pre-gapped for their most popular use.

The NGK BRK7E's are .037" out of the box.

As far as what gap is right for any one car, what works best on one car may not be best for another. IMO.

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matty
All plugs come pre-gapped for their most popular use.

The NGK BRK7E's are .037" out of the box.

As far as what gap is right for any one car, what works best on one car may not be best for another. IMO.

Yeah the gap all depends on the application. I'm looking for the best gap for each application. We need the correct answers.

RBC 06-12-2006 03:21 PM

Always check the gap for you application. Never trust that it is the right one for you.

rhanes216213 06-12-2006 03:26 PM

My one step colder plugs (BKR7EIX) came out of the box gapped at .030. And at this time they are working just great for me at that gap. If you call NGK's tech help line they will tell you to gap them at .035. People that have been running these types of plugs with supercharges on V8's will tell you not to gap them over .025. Interesting isn’t it.

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by rhanes216213
My one step colder plugs (BKR7EIX) came out of the box gapped at .030. And at this time they are working just great for me at that gap. If you call NGK's tech help line they will tell you to gap them at .035. People that have been running these types of plugs with supercharges on V8's will tell you not to gap them over .025. Interesting isn’t it.

That's some good information. We need more too. :twothumbs

Matty 06-12-2006 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by rhanes216213
People that have been running these types of plugs with supercharges on V8's will tell you not to gap them over .025. Interesting isn’t it.

I have the plugs on my Mustang at .032". the other day I changed the Cobalt down to the same to see what, if any, difference there would be.

Tomtwtwtw 06-12-2006 03:34 PM

I have the plugs on my Mustang at .032". the other day I changed the Cobalt down to the same to see what, if any, difference there would be.

And the result . . . ?

CTCOBALTSSS 06-12-2006 03:36 PM

And was there a difference??

Matty 06-12-2006 03:40 PM

And the result . . . ?

I have the same issue as SilverSS going on. A bucking at 3\4 throttle but WOT it is fine. Thought it was a misfire. Which is why I went down so low. It is still there but not as bad.

The .032 hasn't changed much. Idling, cruising, WOT no noticeable difference felt in the seat of the pants compared to the .037 gap.

My issue I think is one of the drive-by wire sensors.

OniMirage 06-12-2006 03:47 PM

What is this bucking? what gear are you in? do you have to accel then release quickly to experience it? what type of driving is going on like is it normal gas saving driving or high speed stop and go? where am I?

Matty 06-12-2006 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
What is this bucking? what gear are you in? do you have to accel then release quickly to experience it? what type of driving is going on like is it normal gas saving driving or high speed stop and go? where am I?

Happens like this. In 2nd gear as well.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/choppy-accelearation-22780/