2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2.0 Ecotec motor cut out at full throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i figured out the problem! my car is bone stock stock pully injectors everything but i have a zzp 3 inch intake. it sputtered at high and sometimes mid rpm. i put some techron fuel system cleaner in my car run perfect now!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM

I need to find a good programer anyone know?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Other than a little lean up top, the 2.8/42's setup is fine, I ran it for over 2 years and it never hurt anything.

His problem is an actual problem, not the "OMG YOUR INJECTORS ARE MAXED OUT, YOUR CAR IS GONNA BLOW" urban legend issue.
Maybe where u live the sea level is high enough to allow that but the normal person cant run 42s with a 2.8 without maxing out the injectors and running lean and taking that chance of hurting the engine, reguardless if u have ran lean for too 2 years and nothing happen does not mean that things can go wrong and mess up an engine when its not tuned and modded correctly.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 PM

OP, your engine is knocking, a datalog will prove it but I see it all the time, get more fuel added up top or some timing taken out and you will be fine.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by vander nars
maybe where u live the sea level is high enough to allow that but the normal person cant run 42s with a 2.8 without maxing out the injectors and running lean and taking that chance of hurting the engine, reguardless if u have ran lean for too 2 years and nothing happen does not mean that things can go wrong and mess up an engine when its not tuned and modded correctly.
exactly!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 AM

Actually, ItalianJoe lives in Florida, I believe near Miami so there is now way he is high enough above sea level. Ive never tried it and never wanted to, I always wanna have extra fuel but if Joe says he has done it and it worked I believe him, Joe is an OG around here, years before a lot of your join dates, I wouldnt go against him.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than a little lean up top, the 2.8/42's setup is fine, I ran it for over 2 years and it never hurt anything.

His problem is an actual problem, not the "OMG YOUR INJECTORS ARE MAXED OUT, YOUR CAR IS GONNA BLOW" urban legend issue.
Please explain how IDC's above 80% are not harmful bsed on fact.

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
Maybe where u live the sea level is high enough to allow that but the normal person cant run 42s with a 2.8 without maxing out the injectors and running lean and taking that chance of hurting the engine, reguardless if u have ran lean for too 2 years and nothing happen does not mean that things can go wrong and mess up an engine when its not tuned and modded correctly.
Holy lord, what a run on sentence...

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
Actually, ItalianJoe lives in Florida, I believe near Miami so there is now way he is high enough above sea level. Ive never tried it and never wanted to, I always wanna have extra fuel but if Joe says he has done it and it worked I believe him, Joe is an OG around here, years before a lot of your join dates, I wouldnt go against him.
Please explain how a join date to a forum provides any type of qualification. And being an "Original Gangsta" means what exactly?

Don't get me wrong. I am not putting Joe down as he has a nice home built dual pass and has helped several members out. But lets make sure we are not just blowing smoke up someones **** because I did something dangerous and got away with it.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
I know he has been here a long time but join date does not mean he knows everything or that is is right, running too lean can cause engine problems, they are a ton of graphs posted on this website that show that some people max out 42 injectors on a 3" pulley and some max out on a 2.9" but anything past that is playing with fire why risk a motor over a simple upgrade and retune to be safe.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I did it on the GM stage 1 tune

Only times I broke stuff was on bottle, and that was 100% my fault for running it on spray when I knew I shouldn't have been.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by dtabbs
Please explain how IDC's above 80% are not harmful bsed on fact.

Holy lord, what a run on sentence...

Please explain how a join date to a forum provides any type of qualification. And being an "Original Gangsta" means what exactly?

Don't get me wrong. I am not putting Joe down as he has a nice home built dual pass and has helped several members out. But lets make sure we are not just blowing smoke up someones **** because I did something dangerous and got away with it.
The only thing potentially dangerous at high IDC is the risk of an injector failing, usually by sticking open or not opening at all. Either scenario will result in a dead cyl, but not a lean cyl, so no damage there.

There is a risk of running lean when you are over 100% IDC, IF you are reaching that 100% IDC at an ideal AFR and still going well past it. If you are hitting 100% at a 10.0 AFR you could rev way past it and still never go over 11.8 or whatever your particular engine likes as a known "good" AFR.

Yes I know it's better to have more fuel than not enough, but that alone will not cause the symptoms the OP is having in this thread. I've seen my fair share of cobalts from stock to heavily modded, and an issue like this is 95% of the time a mechanical failure, not a tune issue. These cars will run dangerously lean and burn up a piston long before you notice that the car is running lean (assuming you don't have aftermarket gauges to monitor it).

Also, my experience with the GM injectors has been 100% fantastic, I ran two different sets of the stage kit injectors, had one set pulled and flow tested and they were very even with each other after 1.5 years of abuse in my car. I can't speak to the reliability of some of the cheaper options out there, but I personally have done and have seen others run in excess of 130% repeatedly and never seen one of the GM units fail.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 AM

How much do any of you know about tuning? How many of your signatures say tuned by someone other than yourselves?

Joe is right, if the car is happy with it then it will run. Some cars will handle leaner or richer AFRs than others, and with tuning and the right things going for you then 42s will work with a 2.8, Ive known several ppl that have run that setup and made more power than their counterparts with 60s. Its all in the tuning and if its done correctly.

Now if your car was running fine and all of sudden running bad, its mechanical not tuning.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Banned

I see we have a retard in the tread now so im not gonna waste my time, if yall wanna give out bad info then go ahead.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 AM

I see we have a retard in the tread now so im not gonna waste my time, if yall wanna give out bad info then go ahead.
Ditto to that, NOT FOR ME! I rather be safe than sorry than putting more money on the cost of damage that you guys are risking for.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Not that the majority of you would understand this... But here we go...

GM tunes run rich... how rich? low 10s, some dipping 9s... elevation, iat, plays a huge role in this. (HINT: ADDERS...)

In our OEM tunes consist a variety of adders... (stock, gm stg2, 3)
listing a few:

- piston protection
- cat over temp control (COT)
- fuel adder under main spark for coolant temp
- MAF/VE in conjunction with power enrichment (P.E.)

All of which dump fuel once given parameters are met. We all live in different climate zones, elevation... a medium has to be met

At 50' above sea level, stock 3.35" pulley and 32 lb injectors with basic bolt ons running 11.5-11.8 afr will see a **** hair under 100% IDC.
- Yes... that's right... we run past 100% IDC on a completely stock tune... and it likes to knock too if using 91 octane.

Why? simple... the car can breathe, opposite of a higher elevation situation, resulting in lower IDCs.

Back to the point here...

A 2.8 pulley on a bone stock gm stg2 will hardly lean the tune. The adders in place prevent it by using the methods above.

Remove the adders and you've just opened up a door of possibilities... (HPTUNERS...)

Italianjoe makes a great point regarding IDC above

as long as the injectors don't go static, and your AFR is where it needs to be... let it be 80, 90, 100, 110%... It really does not matter

Rule of thumb is sub 80%... Unless you can tune yourself and monitor your car's vitals, use the method to the left.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 100% METH
Not that the majority of you would understand this... But here we go...

GM tunes run rich... how rich? low 10s, some dipping 9s... elevation, iat, plays a huge role in this. (HINT: ADDERS...)

In our OEM tunes consist a variety of adders... (stock, gm stg2, 3)
listing a few:

- piston protection
- cat over temp control (COT)
- fuel adder under main spark for coolant temp
- MAF/VE in conjunction with power enrichment (P.E.)

All of which dump fuel once given parameters are met. We all live in different climate zones, elevation... a medium has to be met

At 50' above sea level, stock 3.35" pulley and 32 lb injectors with basic bolt ons running 11.5-11.8 afr will see a **** hair under 100% IDC.
- Yes... that's right... we run past 100% IDC on a completely stock tune... and it likes to knock too if using 91 octane.

Why? simple... the car can breathe, opposite of a higher elevation situation, resulting in lower IDCs.

Back to the point here...

A 2.8 pulley on a bone stock gm stg2 will hardly lean the tune. The adders in place prevent it by using the methods above.

Remove the adders and you've just opened up a door of possibilities... (HPTUNERS...)

Italianjoe makes a great point regarding IDC above

as long as the injectors don't go static, and your AFR is where it needs to be... let it be 80, 90, 100, 110%... It really does not matter

Rule of thumb is sub 80%... Unless you can tune yourself and monitor your car's vitals, use the method to the left.
Exactly,

But as you said most of the people who are so adament about not running this setup have never even opened an HPT file. I've given HP Tuners over $2000 in credit money since I bought it to use on my car, safe to say I've tuned a couple cars.

ONLY ONE THAT BROKE WAS MINE, AND ONLY ON NITROUS

If you don't know WHY you are saying to use 60lb injectors with anything under a 3" pulley, just admit to it. Don't go around talking like you know what the difference is if you actually don't. You're only fooling yourself
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Truth and experience versus "here-say"

Which one is bad info?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM

SIGH, Truth go look at ZZP site and they will explain you why and they are professionals. They know what they are talking about.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 AM

100% Meth, ItalianJoe, great posts from the both of you, seems as if things cant be explained here so Im retiring from this thread, you both understand as well as I do but apparently if a shop says it cant be done then it is impossible and we should just give up and move on.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Word...

We work with what we got... long before ZZP became even remotely close to what it is now for the ecotec platform. We had 42s and the overly expensive @ the time 60s priced near $300 @ lethalperformance

I've yet to find a reason to even bother going past 60 lbers, running as high as 30 psi on a TVS/Lysholm. Substituting pump gas via a water injection nozzle allows me to keep IDCs below 80%.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Banned

Truth and experience versus "here-say"

Which one is bad info?
Its not ******* here-say its simple facts, u admitted it urself u was running lean up top, u got lucky and nothing happen expect blow ur motor. running lean for 2 years and then tossing some nitros on the car prolly had something to do with that. Im not saying U cant run a 2.8 and 42s Im saying its not safe for those at sea level as the injectors are maxed the hell out and cant keep up with the demand of fuel and u go lean. U also run into the problem of possible going static and/or having an injector get stuck just because someone wanted to push a item past its limits.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 100% METH
Word...

We work with what we got... long before ZZP became even remotely close to what it is now for the ecotec platform. We had 42s and the overly expensive @ the time 60s priced near $300 @ lethalperformance

I've yet to find a reason to even bother going past 60 lbers, running as high as 30 psi on a TVS/Lysholm. Substituting pump gas via a water injection nozzle allows me to keep IDCs below 80%.
no one is saying that u cant run 60s on a tvs, if ur setup keeps ur IDCs that low then ur doing something right, what we are saying is running an injector past 120% IDCs is asking for trouble.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Its not ******* here-say its simple facts, u admitted it urself u was running lean up top, u got lucky and nothing happen expect blow ur motor. running lean for 2 years and then tossing some nitros on the car prolly had something to do with that. Im not saying U cant run a 2.8 and 42s Im saying its not safe for those at sea level as the injectors are maxed the hell out and cant keep up with the demand of fuel and u go lean. U also run into the problem of possible going static and/or having an injector get stuck just because someone wanted to push a item past its limits.
I'm at sea level retard...

My car wasn't lean until I was far, far exceeding the normal 'stage 2/2.8' level. I was lean with cams and raised compression, revving to 7600. Then it was in the high 12's.

Static I already addressed. If you're afraid and want to give a ton of money to ZZP to appease your fears, go right ahead, I couldn't care less. I'm simply telling you guys what was done for YEARS, those of use who were ******* with MAF-T's and **** before HPT even existed. Just because you are new to this game doesn't mean everyone here is.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

I'm at sea level retard...

My car wasn't lean until I was far, far exceeding the normal 'stage 2/2.8' level. I was lean with cams and raised compression, revving to 7600. Then it was in the high 12's.

Static I already addressed. If you're afraid and want to give a ton of money to ZZP to appease your fears, go right ahead, I couldn't care less. I'm simply telling you guys what was done for YEARS, those of use who were ******* with MAF-T's and **** before HPT even existed. Just because you are new to this game doesn't mean everyone here is.
Im not the one that blew up a motor u ******* retard.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Im not the one that blew up a motor u ******* retard.
All part of the game, you wanna make power you are gonna break stuff. At least I know what a fast cobalt is. I was DOING what people on here could only talk about for 2 years straight, with very little knowledge to guide the car, my build was trial and error because it had to be, there was nobody out there for anybody to follow.

Just your sig is enough to know that I won't win with you, but I dunno, i'll try anyway
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Why You wanna break stuff if that will cost you more money and time. If it was me, I rather be safe than sorry. I understand that you are in different areas and different temperature down there. I am just saying play with your car smart not beat the hell out of it then BOOM! OH CRAP! I gotta fix it! Wait I don't know if my budgets cut out for it. You know what I am saying ? I am not gonna pry on you who want to see what happen but at the same time be smart about it. If whoever is happy with their car and tune. Many of us has many different ways of knowledge when it's come to tuning.

Quick Reply: 2.0 Ecotec motor cut out at full throttle.