2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2.0 s/c Pulley's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ls1m is not just for v8s. It is also very popular with the DSM crowd. There are also quite a few in the GP community with it as well. It is for ANY OBD-II equipped car.

If you have a laptop, you may want to check out the alex pepper scan tool. The basic setup is $125 or so. The website is kinda confusing, but if you sort through it, you should find what you need. HTH
Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 PM

Scanning is the KEY..
Old 04-30-2005, 04:18 PM

This pulley mod is not a good thing unless a few things happen. A/F ratio goes lean with just a boost bypass mod, on the Saturn Redline. So we need more fuel or Possible a ECU upgrade to dump more fuel. People have tried the Boost bypass mod with alot of different results. Most noticed no improvement. Some where running rich after they tried it. So if they are going to come out with something like this. They need to do it right. Cover all of the problem then install as a system.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Yaj

I asked about a scanner when I first found this site also...
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/scan-tool-2055/

The info I got from that thread is that the Cobalt uses a different protocol - CAN...so it looks like the LS1M is out as well as any other scan tool that doesn't support CAN. Also I own an LS1M and as far as I know it is only programed for the LS1 (5.7 litre) and L67 (3800SC)...although people have connected it to other cars (the post above mentions the Redline) and have got certain parameters to display I would have to wonder about the accuracy of the info.

I believe it was Zinner who posted a few other scanner options that offer the CAN protocol support, also in the above post.

Scanner options are out there, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. The one from Autoenginuity looks promising.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yaj
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2055

The info I got from that thread is that the Cobalt uses a different protocol - CAN...so it looks like the LS1M is out as well as any other scan tool that doesn't support CAN. Also I own an LS1M and as far as I know it is only programed for the LS1 (5.7 litre) and L67 (3800SC)...although people have connected it to other cars (the post above mentions the Redline) and have got certain parameters to display I would have to wonder about the accuracy of the info.

I believe it was Zinner who posted a few other scanner options that offer the CAN protocol support, also in the above post.

Scanner options are out there, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. The one from Autoenginuity looks promising.
Look later in the thread. Turns out a CAN-capable device is not needed to access engine parameters. A J1850 device (like LS1M) will work. (as long as it can be configured to access the correct PIDs)
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yaj
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2055

why dont you hook up the LS1m to your cobalt and see what all it reads?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Yaj

Thanks DanM...that's the 2nd time you straightened me out. Missed that post by you in the other thread.

Stuffy236...I would gladly hook my LS1M to my Cobalt SS - but I don't have one yet.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yaj
Thanks DanM...that's the 2nd time you straightened me out. Missed that post by you in the other thread.

Stuffy236...I would gladly hook my LS1M to my Cobalt SS - but I don't have one yet.
that may just be a small problem then huh
Old 05-07-2005, 05:38 PM

So has anyone (an individual or a parts company) tried a smaller pulley on their Cobalt SS or even on an Ion RL yet? I would like to hear about some real world results. I plan on leasing a Cobalt SS very soon, and I want to know how much more boost the supercharger and engine can handle without having to make any supporting mods. I want to keep it simple and cheap since this car is going to be leased for only 3 years. I am assuming that 2 or 3 extra psi would be a safe and effective way to add 20 or 30 hp, but I would really like to know for sure before I try it. I hope someone around here has the ***** to try it first! From the dyno info I have seen on this forum, it appears that the SS can produce at least 240 hp at the crank with only a drop in K&N filter. If I could get just an extra 20 hp from a pulley, that would put me at 260 hp and I would be very happy with that!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:05 PM

A smaller pulley will create more power as long as you have a healthy air/fuel ratio. The ecotec motor should be able to handle at least 18lbs of boost but you may need to upgrade your fuel system. My only concern is that the M62 is a small blower. The M62 can produce more than 12lbs but it just isn't big enough or efficient enough to produce 18+lbs. So you will need to upgrade your supercharger or put a turbocharger on if you want huge gains. So it will be interesting to see if they offer larger supercharger or turbo charger upgrades in the future. Oh and the bypass valve only opens when your not using the supercharger (partial throttle) and when you approach redline the Eatons bypass valve releases a few pounds to protect against detonation. But to say that the pulley won't add boost because of the bypass valve is nonsense.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by crazywop112
A smaller pulley will create more power as long as you have a healthy air/fuel ratio. The ecotec motor should be able to handle at least 18lbs of boost but you may need to upgrade your fuel system. My only concern is that the M62 is a small blower. The M62 can produce more than 12lbs but it just isn't big enough or efficient enough to produce 18+lbs. So you will need to upgrade your supercharger or put a turbocharger on if you want huge gains. So it will be interesting to see if they offer larger supercharger or turbo charger upgrades in the future. Oh and the bypass valve only opens when your not using the supercharger (partial throttle) and when you approach redline the Eatons bypass valve releases a few pounds to protect against detonation. But to say that the pulley won't add boost because of the bypass valve is nonsense.
The S/C on the SS is a M90 not a M62....
Old 05-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazywop112
If you look at the eaton site the M62 is designed for 2.5 to 4.0 litre engines. Since the LSJ is 2.0 doesn't it stand to reason that the M62 is at least a tad bit oversized ?

I don't think people would be making pulley to take the blower up to 18psi if it couldn't handle it?

I guess we know until we try I hope that with a new pulley and upgrade in fuel system and we will be looking at some even better number for the LSJ.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by theBLUEone

ummm you have that backwards. The m90 is on the grand prix GTP
Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by theBLUEone
looks like you're quite sure about that...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock 2.0L LSJ supercharger is 84mm in diameter.....I have switched a customers car to a smaller 77.9mm pulley, and Corsa cat back exhaust(modified GrandAm cup exhaust) and got 27hp at the wheels. no change to tuning, air filter, intake or any other systems. with the exception of a RonDavis rad.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
The stock 2.0L LSJ supercharger is 84mm in diameter.....I have switched a customers car to a smaller 77.9mm pulley, and Corsa cat back exhaust(modified GrandAm cup exhaust) and got 27hp at the wheels. no change to tuning, air filter, intake or any other systems. with the exception of a RonDavis rad.

Very interesting. I have lots of questions so I'm going to list them below and I'd appreciate it if you'd try to answer them.

- You say there was a 27whp increase, so what was the whp before and after?
- How much of that increase do you think was due to the pulley?
- Do you know what the new max boost is?
- Was this LSJ in a Cobalt or an Ion?
- How long has the customer had this setup? Any heat issues or anything like that?
- Do you know what the air/fuel ratio was before and after the change?
- Do you think going with an even smaller pulley (say 75 mm or so) would be too much?

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stic5
Very interesting. I have lots of questions so I'm going to list them below and I'd appreciate it if you'd try to answer them.

- You say there was a 27whp increase, so what was the whp before and after?
- How much of that increase do you think was due to the pulley?
- Do you know what the new max boost is?
- Was this LSJ in a Cobalt or an Ion?
- How long has the customer had this setup? Any heat issues or anything like that?
- Do you know what the air/fuel ratio was before and after the change?
- Do you think going with an even smaller pulley (say 75 mm or so) would be too much?

Thanks for the info!
1-197before.....224after
2-hard to say exactly since the exhaust mod is integral to the potential of the pulley but I'd say 60% of the gain....ive seen around 11hp with just the exhaust and a less restrictive intake, but I dont have numbers for each step of the process..
3-the usable boost is still only around 10-13psi...but it comes on sooner.
4-Cobalt
5-its been on the road now for about 500miles....hes still taking it easy...there havent been any issues yet but I would recommend a modified aftercooler radiator If you intend to go with a smaller pulley than this or if you want to make full use of available power via pcm tuning.
6-its stock tuning so before and after its pretty fat...around 12.7(i dont have the numbers in front of me)at WOT...aftermarket tuning IS needed to take full advantage of this mod...235-250hp @ crank is IMO absolute max for stoxk tuning.
7-Again...after this level I really think you need to go with aftermarket tuning, and upgraded aftercooling. Unfortunate;y GM has stepped up with programs yet like Mopar has...in time...other wise to go for more power you are going to have to seriously compromise your warranty coverage...IE aftermarket engine control
Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks again Maven. One last question: South Florida Pulley lists the stock pulley as 3.5 inches. You say the stock pulley is 84mm which is roughly equal to 3.3 inches. Who is right? Also, where did you get your pulley?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:33 PM

GM has done some upgrades with the pulleys. if you like you could look at the GM permance build book available at gmtuner it's on page 140, everything they did to compete in the GS and ST competitions ther car went from 205 to 235HP, 84mm to a 77.9mm pulley
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 AM

Maven, Can you help me get one of those Corsa catbacks?

I'm very very interested!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Remember if you add air you need to add fuel period!!!! If not you will ruin the cat like i did. I finally spent the denero and purchased the stage 3 kit.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:35 PM

wow this is an old thread.....
Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 PM

wow this is a year+ post haha