2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Balance Shaft Elimination GMracing part XGH676

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Balance Shaft Elimination GMracing part XGH676

GM Racing offered a kit for elimination of the balance shafts, where the chain is a lot shorter and runs directly from the crankshaft to the water pump. As I understand it, the kit was composed of a new plastic guide and a shorter chain.

Does anyone have a spare kit they would be willing to sell me? As I understand, GM Racing closed down operations some time ago.

Another option would be to duplicate this kit

I expect the plastic guide was probably milled out of a solid piece of plastic, given the low volume production that was associated with this kit. So this is something that can easily be duplicated

I looked at the production chain. There is no removable link to try and shorten it. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to get one? Or a process on how to shorten it?

Here is a link I found of the kit from GM Racing and how it was installed. about 1/2 down the page 3

Balance Shaft Removal On 2.2 - Page 3 - Tuning & Modifications - VX220 Owners Club
Old 10-15-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Easier to just delete the shafts and leave the front gears, then run the normal size chain to retain the water pump drive.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's my fallback.

However, I would like to eliminate them altogether. As stated earlier, I can make a custom guide,...just need to figure out how to do the chain (or find someone that has the kit for sale)
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the chains arent typically something you can shorten, they need to be ordered from the manufacturer in the length needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I know you must be thinking the short chain setup is more robust because it is simpler but to my knowledge no one has had any problems just converting the balance shaft sprockets into idler sprockets. And IMO if you are this concerned about the small details you may as well just delete the mechanical water pump and go electric and eliminate that chain altogether. That would be more worth your time that getting special guides custom fabricated.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
those kits have not been available for many years and you also had to extend the hyd chain adjuster rod your best bet is to get the delete bushings and cut the shafts down to nubs and go that route you are gaining the same thing