2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission problem

I have a 2006 cobalt ss supercharged with the limited differential package.

I was driving, I head a loud bang and shake to the car (I thought I had a suspension problem). I pulled over to inspect and engine was leaking what looked like engine oil. I towed it to the dealership and they did a basic inspection and the feedback they gave me was: problem with the transmission, it will not go into any gear. I had no clutch slipping and consider myself very gentle to the transmission except I do enjoy downshifting more than braking.

Car is probably worth like $4500 without the transmission problems. Dealership gave CRAZY quote to fix because part is so rare.

1) I have heard people say they have shifter pin issues, but I don't think that would be my issue as there was leaking transmission fluid ???

2) Since I have limited slip I am worried if I order a used transmission w/o one that it somehow won't connect properly?

3) I have a limited budget I am willing to spend, any thoughts on how to remedy the problem without spending more than like 2k (parts and labor)?

Thanks,
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Are they wanting to replace the transmission? Can they tell you exactly what broke? Maybe ask them for some pictures?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
go to a random tranny shop and have them look at it
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update

OK. I went to dealership to check on car get more info:

Apparently now the car will not turn over (clicks), but the mechanic was able to turn the engine (and get compression) with a bar manually, so while not guaranteeing that engine is fine, it points to it.
I looked under the car and took some pictures, unfortunately they are a little blurry and don't really show much except fluid that looks like its leaking from the seal between engine and transmission, but could be coming from top of transmission ? couldn't really tell as it was still attached to the car.
Mechanic claimed that wheels are "locked" and car can't even go into neutral anymore.

I could take it to a transmission shop, but that would just start piling on the expenses automatically, towing and re-assessment by another mechanic, and I am trying to determine if that is even worth the effort / cost.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
It's possible that you broke a gear in the trans and it in turn caused the trans to lock. I would make totally sure that the motor is ok as it's puzzling why it won't turn over now with the clutch depressed.
You can source a used trans for something like $700 and have it installed for about $700-$1000 labor cost. You don't have to have a lsd trans but it does help. Car will function fine without lsd but you may notice it breaking traction a little more especially on turns.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
That really sucks and I know because it happened to me when I had an 06 SS and when the transmission went it locked up as well and nothing was going to turn the wheels until the transmission was pulled. I ended up doing lots of damage inside the transmission. The good news is the LSD is almost bullet proof and you can take it out and put it in another transmission or replace the damaged gears. The biggest thing for you to contend with is the $$$ factor. Borrow a truck, rent a u-haul tow dolley, get the car home and pull the transmission yourself. It takes time but saves you money.

Ask yourself what the car is worth to you and then decide if you want to spend the money and time to keep it.