Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   cat/catless question (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/cat-catless-question-118232/)

fmxr47 06-20-2008 09:16 AM

cat/catless question

so if i were to run catless in my town they require e-check, are you guys putting a code into the computers that trick the echeck?, i would prefer to run catless but i dont want to have to put on a stock dp every time i go to e-check

fmxr47 06-22-2008 04:51 PM

bump......

SSdan 06-22-2008 04:53 PM

Hp Tuners can turn the code off.

also wtf is echeck

SS/SCking 06-22-2008 04:59 PM

You could go with a non-fouler like this... You screw this in the rear o2 of the cat-less down pipe, than screw the o2 in this and it prevents a cel. You could have it turned off with hp tuners too

SSdan 06-22-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by SS/SCking (Post 2500801)
You could go with a non-fouler like this... You screw this in the rear o2 of the cat-less down pipe, than screw the o2 in this and it prevents a cel. You could have it turned off with hp tuners too

Sigh, the exhaust tunnel on the cobalt is too narrow to accommodate one of those. You need one with a bend in it.

Sizzle06 06-22-2008 05:24 PM

My cel eliminator fit fine,i think it depends if your running a 2.5 or 3.0 pipe.

SSdan 06-22-2008 06:05 PM

Wouldnt fit my stock downpipe.

SS/SCking 06-22-2008 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan (Post 2500804)
Sigh, the exhaust tunnel on the cobalt is too narrow to accommodate one of those. You need one with a bend in it.

Oh ya? I had one on a 3inch downpipe b4 my tune and it worked just fine and never had an issue.....

theneelster 06-22-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan (Post 2500784)
Hp Tuners can turn the code off.

also wtf is echeck

Emissions check? Dont' know...but he means they check the obd port for emissions related codes.

I'm not sure about ohio but if you catless you may fail inspection (not necessarily emissions), I know in PA they check exhaust for inspection...I mean if you don't gut the factory one then they're pretty much going to see there's no cat there.

CEL eliminators may or may not work (I believe code 0420 is what you're talking about...it's the rear sensor code). The non-fouler cel eliminator didn't work in my car when I got the vibrant head/downpipe with the o2 bung drilled before the cat...so they had to move the cat and rebung it post cat.

Also...depending on where the bung is you may have to get an angled bung for the sensor to fit because as others said the exhaust heat shield (ie below the car) is too narrow to safely accommodate the o2 sensor straight. (at least on the redline but...from what I know it's the same on the cobalt ss)

SSdan 06-23-2008 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by theneelster (Post 2501857)
Emissions check? Dont' know...but he means they check the obd port for emissions related codes.

I'm not sure about ohio but if you catless you may fail inspection (not necessarily emissions), I know in PA they check exhaust for inspection...I mean if you don't gut the factory one then they're pretty much going to see there's no cat there.

CEL eliminators may or may not work (I believe code 0420 is what you're talking about...it's the rear sensor code). The non-fouler cel eliminator didn't work in my car when I got the vibrant head/downpipe with the o2 bung drilled before the cat...so they had to move the cat and rebung it post cat.

Also...depending on where the bung is you may have to get an angled bung for the sensor to fit because as others said the exhaust heat shield (ie below the car) is too narrow to safely accommodate the o2 sensor straight. (at least on the redline but...from what I know it's the same on the cobalt ss)

This guys knows wtf i'm talking about.

All I said was MY STOCK DOWNPIPE would not fit one of items posted.

SS/SCking 06-23-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SSdan (Post 2502212)
All I said was MY STOCK DOWNPIPE would not fit one of items posted.

OK but he wants to run an aftermarket dp.... so why tell him that some thing does not work if you dont know.

fmxr47 06-23-2008 10:19 AM

lol, thx guys, so hp tuners should be able to turn off the codes?, but if there is no recent codes in the comp they hook up a hose to the exhaust

fmxr47 06-24-2008 08:08 PM

bump..., so i can run catless and pass emissions check?

SS/SCking 06-24-2008 10:06 PM

Well I passed one.....

fmxr47 06-25-2008 11:59 PM

how rich is your car?, i am planning on doing the zzp stg 4, i have to be able to pass the emissions, i would prefer catless but will i have to cat?

restonSS 06-26-2008 12:07 AM

why do you need catless? get a high flow one or something. is the 1 horsepower gain really needed? just save the hassle, cause chances are when inspecting you they will see there is not cat unless they are blind, retarded, or just stupid. save yourself the hassle and either A. gut the stock cat or B. get a dp with a high flow cat.

csementuh 06-27-2008 03:53 PM

As far as the cat / catless issue... I too am in the same situation. I am in the Clear Image Automotive header/dp GP and I still cannot decide if I should get a cat or not. Not getting a cat would save me like $120 in this GP... Thats some decent dough... Problem is I live in PA which has emissions testing. Supposedly as long as there isn't a CEL and code tripped and your car passes a visual inspection for a cat you are OK. But a straight DP wouldn't pass a visual check. Is the gain with going catless really only ~1HP? Also I heard that catless makes the exhaust more raspy sounding? Can anybody provide some insight? Thanks!

Hockeyman 06-27-2008 03:58 PM

catless makes the car very raspy, I went catless for a while since my cat busted, I'm catted once again and it's nice be somewhat quiet again.

SS/SCking 06-27-2008 07:26 PM

Ya catless make it raspy but only 1hp? maybe but like 10tq lol...

Originally Posted by fmxr47 (Post 2516187)
how rich is your car?, i am planning on doing the zzp stg 4, i have to be able to pass the emissions, i would prefer catless but will i have to cat?

My car run rich all the way through the rpm rang so..

SSSC4life 05-21-2009 01:25 AM

how would i avoid getting a CEL if i remove the cat, and leave the o2 sensor there ??