Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Cooling system won't burp (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/cooling-system-wont-burp-327894/)

'05SSSC 06-21-2019 12:25 PM

Cooling system won't burp

I recently replaced my cooling system after running over a deer (I mentioned it in a previous post). Got it all installed, no leaks, but after idling for a while and getting to 210 degrees my radiator cap blew off under the hood. Left the car for a day and I just now tried to bleed the air in the system by running it with the surge tank cap off, except now the coolant level is rising almost to the hose on top of the surge tank which I feel like could be an issue. For reference, I never had any head gasket issue before changing the radiator/intercooler/fans/condenser/etc. So I find it hard to believe my head gasket would have magically blown after fixing the cooling, no white smoke or oil in the reservoir. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...2ce0abe824.jpg

Flarfignewton 06-21-2019 01:04 PM

The level should rise as the car heats up due to expansion of the coolant and drop as it cools down. If that's what is happening there shouldn't be a problem. If you're having trouble with air in the system, pull the upper hose off of the radiator and fill the cooling system through the hose. That's how the service manual on Prodemand instructs you to fill it.

exninja 06-21-2019 01:12 PM

Yup^ the LSJ has a bubbling issue if you don't fill through the hose. Give the upper hose a good squeeze and see if you get some bubbles through the reservoir.

'05SSSC 06-21-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by exninja (Post 7714044)
Yup^ the LSJ has a bubbling issue if you don't fill through the hose. Give the upper hose a good squeeze and see if you get some bubbles through the reservoir.

Should I have the cap off while doing this? I took the cap off and squeezed it a bit and I saw a few bubbles from that top hose.

'05SSSC 06-21-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flarfignewton (Post 7714042)
The level should rise as the car heats up due to expansion of the coolant and drop as it cools down. If that's what is happening there shouldn't be a problem. If you're having trouble with air in the system, pull the upper hose off of the radiator and fill the cooling system through the hose. That's how the service manual on Prodemand instructs you to fill it.

I get it should rise a bit but that seems to be a lot, and like I said the cap popped off last time I let it get up to 210

exninja 06-21-2019 05:31 PM

If you squeezed and bubbles went to the reservoir then you know the issue is air in the system. Air expands more than water, so that's likely why the cap popped off. Take the hose off, and see how bad it is. You'll probably need to fill the hose. I'm not sure about the warm up and repeat procedure on the LSJ (to allow for opening of the thermostat). You can also try applying vacuum to the small relief hose that goes into the reservoir. It should pull the air out and fluid from the reservoir to replace it. Keep doing that until you get coolant in the catch can of your hand pump. Again, the wildcard here is to warm it up to allow the tstat to open.

'05SSSC 06-21-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by exninja (Post 7714061)
If you squeezed and bubbles went to the reservoir then you know the issue is air in the system. Air expands more than water, so that's likely why the cap popped off. Take the hose off, and see how bad it is. You'll probably need to fill the hose. I'm not sure about the warm up and repeat procedure on the LSJ (to allow for opening of the thermostat). You can also try applying vacuum to the small relief hose that goes into the reservoir. It should pull the air out and fluid from the reservoir to replace it. Keep doing that until you get coolant in the catch can of your hand pump. Again, the wildcard here is to warm it up to allow the tstat to open.

If I wait for the tstat to kick on, is it a big deal if coolant fills above that top hose?

exninja 06-21-2019 05:46 PM

It should all be done with the cap off, so the only big deal is if it overflows the reservoir. I'd squeeze the hose and get the level down, first.

'05SSSC 06-21-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by exninja (Post 7714063)
It should all be done with the cap off, so the only big deal is if it overflows the reservoir. I'd squeeze the hose and get the level down, first.

I just tried again, I got to about 214 before it started to overflow and I can see steam. I'm squeezing the hose now with the car off and I don't really see anybubbles, I can just see the coolant moving around in the surge tank near the bottom hose. Any suggestions on where to go from here if I can even get it to a temp to turn on the fan?

ECaulk 06-21-2019 06:13 PM

You may have to remove the hose going into the head and fill there. If there is a large air bubble there it is going to be difficult to burp.

jdbaugh1 06-24-2019 10:13 AM

I just recently filled my coolant system and I found the easiest way to displace air was to rig up a funnel with about a 2-3 foot 3/8" hose and connect the funnel hose to the breather nipple on the head that runs over to the expansion tank. You can then add coolant through the funnel and raise the funnel up high to create some pressure and it flows right in and burps the air out. I can take a pic and post of what I am talking about over lunch if this isn't clear.

07blackg5 06-25-2019 11:29 AM

when I still had a thermostat, all i did was fill from the upper hose (still do). Pull the hose off the head , stick a funnel in the port on the head and fill it up. Then fill the radiator side from the hose. Obviously leave the res cap off as you are filling.

It fills the system so well that you don't even have to top off the reservoir, it will fill up as you feed the upper hose. I've done it this way so may times and there isn't any air bubble to burp. any tiny amount of air in there isn't enough to make a noticeable change on the res level.

Don't waste your time doing it any other way.

jdbaugh1 06-26-2019 12:50 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...01fa369b2e.jpg
Picture of what I described in previous post. Unscrew lid on expansion tank, connect hose to nipple on head, raise funnel up to create pressure like a water tower, add coolant slowly. It will burp some air out the funnel and the expansion tank. Fill this way until coolant is a little over full in the expansion tank.