2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cooling system won't burp

Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-26-15
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooling system won't burp

I recently replaced my cooling system after running over a deer (I mentioned it in a previous post). Got it all installed, no leaks, but after idling for a while and getting to 210 degrees my radiator cap blew off under the hood. Left the car for a day and I just now tried to bleed the air in the system by running it with the surge tank cap off, except now the coolant level is rising almost to the hose on top of the surge tank which I feel like could be an issue. For reference, I never had any head gasket issue before changing the radiator/intercooler/fans/condenser/etc. So I find it hard to believe my head gasket would have magically blown after fixing the cooling, no white smoke or oil in the reservoir. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
'05SSSC is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 PM
  #2  
New Member
 
Join Date: 11-20-14
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 81
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The level should rise as the car heats up due to expansion of the coolant and drop as it cools down. If that's what is happening there shouldn't be a problem. If you're having trouble with air in the system, pull the upper hose off of the radiator and fill the cooling system through the hose. That's how the service manual on Prodemand instructs you to fill it.
Flarfignewton is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:12 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,855
Received 191 Likes on 171 Posts
Yup^ the LSJ has a bubbling issue if you don't fill through the hose. Give the upper hose a good squeeze and see if you get some bubbles through the reservoir.
exninja is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM
  #4  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-26-15
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exninja View Post
Yup^ the LSJ has a bubbling issue if you don't fill through the hose. Give the upper hose a good squeeze and see if you get some bubbles through the reservoir.
Should I have the cap off while doing this? I took the cap off and squeezed it a bit and I saw a few bubbles from that top hose.
'05SSSC is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM
  #5  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-26-15
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flarfignewton View Post
The level should rise as the car heats up due to expansion of the coolant and drop as it cools down. If that's what is happening there shouldn't be a problem. If you're having trouble with air in the system, pull the upper hose off of the radiator and fill the cooling system through the hose. That's how the service manual on Prodemand instructs you to fill it.
I get it should rise a bit but that seems to be a lot, and like I said the cap popped off last time I let it get up to 210
'05SSSC is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:31 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,855
Received 191 Likes on 171 Posts
If you squeezed and bubbles went to the reservoir then you know the issue is air in the system. Air expands more than water, so that's likely why the cap popped off. Take the hose off, and see how bad it is. You'll probably need to fill the hose. I'm not sure about the warm up and repeat procedure on the LSJ (to allow for opening of the thermostat). You can also try applying vacuum to the small relief hose that goes into the reservoir. It should pull the air out and fluid from the reservoir to replace it. Keep doing that until you get coolant in the catch can of your hand pump. Again, the wildcard here is to warm it up to allow the tstat to open.
exninja is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 PM
  #7  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-26-15
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exninja View Post
If you squeezed and bubbles went to the reservoir then you know the issue is air in the system. Air expands more than water, so that's likely why the cap popped off. Take the hose off, and see how bad it is. You'll probably need to fill the hose. I'm not sure about the warm up and repeat procedure on the LSJ (to allow for opening of the thermostat). You can also try applying vacuum to the small relief hose that goes into the reservoir. It should pull the air out and fluid from the reservoir to replace it. Keep doing that until you get coolant in the catch can of your hand pump. Again, the wildcard here is to warm it up to allow the tstat to open.
If I wait for the tstat to kick on, is it a big deal if coolant fills above that top hose?
'05SSSC is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,855
Received 191 Likes on 171 Posts
It should all be done with the cap off, so the only big deal is if it overflows the reservoir. I'd squeeze the hose and get the level down, first.
exninja is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM
  #9  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-26-15
Location: Chicago
Posts: 86
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exninja View Post
It should all be done with the cap off, so the only big deal is if it overflows the reservoir. I'd squeeze the hose and get the level down, first.
I just tried again, I got to about 214 before it started to overflow and I can see steam. I'm squeezing the hose now with the car off and I don't really see anybubbles, I can just see the coolant moving around in the surge tank near the bottom hose. Any suggestions on where to go from here if I can even get it to a temp to turn on the fan?
'05SSSC is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,710
Received 393 Likes on 350 Posts
You may have to remove the hose going into the head and fill there. If there is a large air bubble there it is going to be difficult to burp.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,862
Received 173 Likes on 167 Posts
I just recently filled my coolant system and I found the easiest way to displace air was to rig up a funnel with about a 2-3 foot 3/8" hose and connect the funnel hose to the breather nipple on the head that runs over to the expansion tank. You can then add coolant through the funnel and raise the funnel up high to create some pressure and it flows right in and burps the air out. I can take a pic and post of what I am talking about over lunch if this isn't clear.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM
  #12  
Slobodan Milošević
iTrader: (8)
 
07blackg5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-07
Location: Serbia
Posts: 5,875
Received 204 Likes on 168 Posts
when I still had a thermostat, all i did was fill from the upper hose (still do). Pull the hose off the head , stick a funnel in the port on the head and fill it up. Then fill the radiator side from the hose. Obviously leave the res cap off as you are filling.

It fills the system so well that you don't even have to top off the reservoir, it will fill up as you feed the upper hose. I've done it this way so may times and there isn't any air bubble to burp. any tiny amount of air in there isn't enough to make a noticeable change on the res level.

Don't waste your time doing it any other way.
07blackg5 is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:50 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,862
Received 173 Likes on 167 Posts

Picture of what I described in previous post. Unscrew lid on expansion tank, connect hose to nipple on head, raise funnel up to create pressure like a water tower, add coolant slowly. It will burp some air out the funnel and the expansion tank. Fill this way until coolant is a little over full in the expansion tank.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DM725
Problems/Service/Maintenance
13
11-06-2018 01:34 PM
Gelladuga69
Problems/Service/Maintenance
3
06-24-2013 06:01 PM
c4w18
Electronics, Audio, and Video
21
11-09-2010 01:36 AM
bamaboy22
War Stories
23
09-24-2007 12:38 AM
VaMP
2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
2
06-30-2006 08:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling system won't burp


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.