Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   crappy zzp exhaust leak (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/crappy-zzp-exhaust-leak-201544/)

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 02:21 PM

crappy zzp exhaust leak

got an exhaust leak on the zzp mid length setup between the header and downpipe

anyone tried a remflex gasket for a fix, and if so did it work or not?

not sure why anyone would use a 2 bolt flange on a 3" exhaust

JapEatr 01-16-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction (Post 4606898)

i ended up getting rid of my ZZP mislength setup because of this issue, i tried everythin, sealents, new gaskets, welding a small pipe inside the header to step it into the DP...still leaked

I got a CIA setup now and love it

YzRider452 01-16-2010 03:02 PM

Yup i got rid of my ZZp midlength for the same reason. 2 bolt flange didnt cut it. Either scrap it, or weld a new flange on it, youll never get it fixed.

blackbolt89 01-16-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction (Post 4606898)

its not even the fact that its a 2 bolt on a 3" inch cause even my 2.5" leaks, yes i know its not the ZZP header/dp in question but i can never get the leak to go away. nothing works. so i related my problem to the 2 bolt. may not be the problem but it sure as hell is leaking from there any buying all kinds of new gaskets and shit never made a difference.

damn 2 bolt. :cussing:

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 04:24 PM

have any of you all tried a remflex gasket? those things are supposed to seal up gaps up to 1/16"

BlackJackSS 01-16-2010 04:26 PM

i think im just gonna get my DP welded. im sick of hearing it leak.

chris88z24 01-16-2010 04:27 PM

I'm using a fat metal gasket from a ford something or other.

Works like a charm.

YzRider452 01-16-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJackSS (Post 4607064)

I was considering this too. Then i just sold it lol.

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJackSS (Post 4607064)

Hey that works too lol

stealthy1ss 01-16-2010 06:27 PM

This is a broken record issue. I am thinking about swapping out the flanges on my midlength when I get a new flex pipe put on my downpipe. If it doesnt leak then you end up breaking a bolt while doing a pull and then you have a major leak. I just havent been able to win the battle with this thing.

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 06:34 PM

Well I think welding it will work as a cheap fix, but it'll be a pain in the ass to change

if u just hold off a bit I'll order a remflex, they come with a money back gaurantee and I'll post up after testing

sundevil07 01-16-2010 06:39 PM

at least you got a good deal on the combo lol

qwikredline 01-16-2010 07:07 PM

the usually talkative zoomer pumping himself up, about "tested /years to develop products/ better than every one elses pos/" probably regrets making this part; trash it and get new, or weld on a 3 bolt flange....

Tennpenn83 01-16-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline (Post 4607406)
the usually talkative zoomer pumping himself up, about "tested /years to develop products/ better than every one elses pos/" probably regrets making this part; trash it and get new, or weld on a 3 bolt flange....

^this...

get rid of the crappy "years to develop" zzp POS and get a clear image or vibrant

qwikredline 01-16-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83 (Post 4607644)
^this...

get rid of the crappy "years to develop" zzp POS and get a clear image or vibrant

My vibrant was good, my Hahn okay after fixing it, my OTTP CTI header is just fine. I think if I was to do it over (may do sometime) I would do a long tube with a burns merge collector. Ibet it would not make any more power tho'.

sundevil07 01-16-2010 09:15 PM

mhmm burns merge collector, I know of someone running one of those on their cobalt

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by sundevil07 (Post 4607366)
at least you got a good deal on the combo lol

good deal or not, it's expected when you buy a part that it will properly function.

jesus i hope those zzp 78# springs actually work and won't crack in two on me

Stouffer 01-16-2010 09:21 PM

Throw out the ZZP and get a Vibrant combo. Had the ZZP and it lasted less than 6 months before it blew completely apart from the flange. Got it rewelded and sold the POS.

sundevil07 01-16-2010 09:22 PM

I agree good luck with the gasket I'm on my phone so I can't really search around to help you out but I will when I get home tonight :twothumbs

SS33 01-16-2010 09:27 PM

No problems with my ZZP midlength at all yet. Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys getting leaks are running poly/stiff/proper mounts? wondering if engine movement may be causing this.

I hear alot of ppl complain about snapping bolts and getting exhaust leaks, but my set-up has held up flawlessly for me.

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 09:42 PM

oh this car was apart for a month, i installed the pipe while it was in the air, started up the car and reving the car up without even pulling it out of the garage you could hear the leak, i could feel exhaust coming from both sides of the flange.

i then loosened up both bolts and re-torqued them each a little at a time, so it was on straight without any binding for sure. and same results

so it's not being caused by engine tweaking

SS33 01-16-2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction (Post 4607739)
oh this car was apart for a month, i installed the pipe while it was in the air, started up the car and reving the car up without even pulling it out of the garage you could hear the leak, i could feel exhaust coming from both sides of the flange.

i then loosened up both bolts and re-torqued them each a little at a time, so it was on straight without any binding for sure. and same results

so it's not being caused by engine tweaking

This was the first time you installed the pipe, or a re-install?

And you didn't answer if you were running upgraded mounts or not. Even in neutral (on stands/lift whatever) the engine will still rock when you rev it with stock mounts. I was blown away the first time I saw how much our motors shifted when revved on stock mounts. I didn't even wanna think about what was happening during a hard pull/shift. Poly mounts went in immediately

I'm just curious here.

selfinfliction 01-16-2010 10:00 PM

i have almost brand new TC mounts on the car (less than 1000 miles), but you don't understand that the mounts have nothing to do with the leak from the fact it was on the rack, the zzp stuff was brand new, brand new copper exhaust gasket, brand new magnaflow exhaust, brand new collector and downpipe gaskets that came from zzp.

everything on this is brand new, and the car was leaking before it was moved an inch off the rack so the types of mounts are 100% irrelevant.

Rodimus_Prime 01-16-2010 10:10 PM

Yup mine did the same, they had to use 2 gaskets and some copper RTV

qwikredline 01-16-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction (Post 4607781)
i have almost brand new TC mounts on the car (less than 1000 miles), but you don't understand that the mounts have nothing to do with the leak from the fact it was on the rack, the zzp stuff was brand new, brand new copper exhaust gasket, brand new magnaflow exhaust, brand new collector and downpipe gaskets that came from zzp.

everything on this is brand new, and the car was leaking before it was moved an inch off the rack so the types of mounts are 100% irrelevant.

QFT.....and solid/poly mounts would cause vibration that even a three bolt flange wont like much...it is a shame that you put faith in a product that is doomed to fail.

Although i did not buy it, the thing I like about the Hahn system is that it even uses a bolt flange at the w bend around the fuel tank so it is less likely to twist and hang down there.

Maybe you can sell it and get something better?