2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ss clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ss clutch

does anybody have any problems with the ss clutch, or is it just me or is it normal?
when i shift 1 to 2 with a slight powershift not wot it feels like it slips and once the rpms come down it grabs the tires dont really chirp or spin on the 2nd gear shift unless im on a slight turn then the inside wheel spins. i have about 950 miles on it.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:06 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
I haven't had that happen to me. I get 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear rubber with no hesitation when shifting.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:11 PM

is that powershifting it regular shift but wot after clutch is engaged
Old 05-06-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by NJCOBALTSS
does anybody have any problems with the ss clutch, or is it just me or is it normal?
when i shift 1 to 2 with a slight powershift not wot it feels like it slips and once the rpms come down it grabs the tires dont really chirp or spin on the 2nd gear shift unless im on a slight turn then the inside wheel spins. i have about 950 miles on it.
is that powershifting it regular shift but wot after clutch is engaged
Maybe i'm out of the loop but what is "WOT" and it sounds like you should pay a visit to the dealer, unless your just not doing something right.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:37 PM

wot= wide open throttle, there is not much to do wrong, ill probably go by the dealer tomorrow or mon
Old 05-06-2005, 09:27 PM

I noticed when you let out the clutch too fast and then floor it, it seems to slip a bit the rpms will jump then go back down and then grap...seem that the car has too much power for this clutch, I think a better clutch would work best but i'm not too sure...BUT yes I have noticed some slippage for the first time when I was testing her out on a back road...she had about 600 miles on her now LOL.....
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

I haven't noticed any slippage, but it has popped out of 2nd more than a couple times now. The first time, I just figured I didn't have it all the way in. But I slammed it pretty hard another time and when I let the clutch out it popped it back out of gear. Certainly not like speed-shifting my first car, an 89 hp Mazda 323
Old 05-07-2005, 02:13 AM

A tranny popping out of gear is not a good thing. You need to get that looked at if it continues.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
A tranny popping out of gear is not a good thing. You need to get that looked at if it continues.
I thought manuals popping out of gear when they were new was a normal thing. I mean we are not talking about a lot here.

My cousins old RSX-S popped out of gear when it was parked in the wendy's parking lot when it was brand new. He didn't pull up the e-brake either. This really old lady came inside and said a nice car was sitting in the middle of the parking lot. It didn't help either that the parking lot was on a slope. I ran over and said "Kevin, your car is in the middle of the parking lot."

Anyways...it was pretty funny.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 AM

A tranny popping out of gear usually means a problem with the shift rails and/or shift forks. Not sure how being brand new would change anything. The trannies I've rebuilt with completely new parts never exhibited this sort of behvaviour.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

The only time my Mazda 323 popped out of gear, was after I had already burned up the clutch. I didn't have any money to replace it and kept driving it till I had lost 2nd and 4th gear, and occassionally couldn't get into reverse. At that point, I started having problems with the shifter popping out, but only on rare occasions.

I never drove stick on anything with a performance clutch or more than 120 hp, so I wasn't sure if that happened on occasion with these cars, but mostly assumed it was a break-in issue. 3300 miles now and it did it again last night in 4th. With everything else that has gone on since I got this car a month ago (the flat tire at 250 miles, and the oil cap being left off after getting an oil change), why shouldn't I have problems with the tranny now? I guess I'll make yet another appointment to take it in...
Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 PM

WELL IVE HAD MY SS FOR A MONTH NOW AND I GOT IT WITH 235 MILES,AFTER I DROVE IT FOR AWILE I FINALY GOT ON IT,AND THERE IT WAS THE SLIPPING IN THE CLUTCH FROM 1 TO 2.I HEAR YOU BRO AND I WOULD ALSO SAY THAT IT KEEPED JUMPING OUT OF GEAR EVERTIME I GOT ON IT,WELL COME TO FIND OUT THE BACK MOTOR MOUNT WAS BROKE RIGHT IN HALF.I WORK FOR A CHEVY DEALER AND I BRONG IT RIGHT IN AND WE FIXED IT.WHATING ON THE NEW TRAN WILL BE IN THIS WEEK.I HAVE 2600 MILES NOW BUT THATS HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET THE TRAN.WELL I WOULD LOVE TO DO SOME PERFORMANCE PARTS TO IT BUT CANT FIND ANY YET.I DID BUY A SUPERCHARGE HIGH CAT FOR IT IT WILL BE HERE MONDAY.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by DUBBS
WELL IVE HAD MY SS FOR A MONTH NOW AND I GOT IT WITH 235 MILES,AFTER I DROVE IT FOR AWILE I FINALY GOT ON IT,AND THERE IT WAS THE SLIPPING IN THE CLUTCH FROM 1 TO 2.I HEAR YOU BRO AND I WOULD ALSO SAY THAT IT KEEPED JUMPING OUT OF GEAR EVERTIME I GOT ON IT,WELL COME TO FIND OUT THE BACK MOTOR MOUNT WAS BROKE RIGHT IN HALF.I WORK FOR A CHEVY DEALER AND I BRONG IT RIGHT IN AND WE FIXED IT.WHATING ON THE NEW TRAN WILL BE IN THIS WEEK.I HAVE 2600 MILES NOW BUT THATS HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET THE TRAN.WELL I WOULD LOVE TO DO SOME PERFORMANCE PARTS TO IT BUT CANT FIND ANY YET.I DID BUY A SUPERCHARGE HIGH CAT FOR IT IT WILL BE HERE MONDAY.
An ACT Clutch should take care of the slipping. When I test drove one last week I really didn't feel that there was that much torque to slip the clutch though.